Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 08:55 PM

600 posts, read 1,468,530 times

Advertisements

wander - so you need to be "near" (using that term loosely) Salem? I would stick with West Linn/Wilsonville or Yamhill Co. Lake Oswego would work too as you would be right off I-5. You could also consider Hillsboro and use back roads to get down south. Out of these options WL/W has the best school district. You will get more for your money house-wise in Yamhill Co, Hillsboro and Sherwood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 06:18 AM

780 posts, read 1,576,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy32673 View Post
wander - so you need to be "near" (using that term loosely) Salem? I would stick with West Linn/Wilsonville or Yamhill Co. Lake Oswego would work too as you would be right off I-5. You could also consider Hillsboro and use back roads to get down south. Out of these options WL/W has the best school district. You will get more for your money house-wise in Yamhill Co, Hillsboro and Sherwood.
The family members my wife needs to care for are in in Salem, and we also have relatives with a ranch/farm in McMinnville that I know we'll be frequenting. However, that doesn't mean we need (nor want) to be right on top of either. We'd be perfectly fine if we end up in somewhere like Camas - it's a heckuva lot closer than an 8hr plane flight from Ohio for her.

Interesting to hear about the WL/W - I knew it was fairly good, but I wasn't aware it was that good. My kids definitely know where Wilsonville is, because a trip to Bullwinkle's is almost a requirement whenever we're in Oregon..lol.

@Heather - I really didn't mean to hijack your thread. My apologies if you're offended!

Old 04-22-2011, 09:30 AM

92 posts, read 362,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy32673 View Post
Heather - what's your budget? This will give people a better idea of what direction to point you in
I'd like to stay in the area of $1500 (up or down a little ok). Also a clarification, "cookie cutter" is probably different in Portland. The housing styles are just different up there than here in TX. I'm ok with amenities like shopping centers, etc. just not in my backyard and on every freakin' corner. If they are along the highway, great! If they are at the entrance of my neighborhood (and I'm not talking about mom & pop places, coffee bars, etc.) I'd like to avoid that. Again, this is what I'm leaving. I know it's everywhere and I know that cities are expanding and this is the route they go...new employer in town, let's build 5 McD's within a 10 mile radius!!

Here's the areas I researched yesterday - give me your opinion:

Mikwaukie & Sherwood

Old 04-22-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderbygrace View Post
The family members my wife needs to care for are in in Salem, and we also have relatives with a ranch/farm in McMinnville that I know we'll be frequenting. However, that doesn't mean we need (nor want) to be right on top of either. We'd be perfectly fine if we end up in somewhere like Camas - it's a heckuva lot closer than an 8hr plane flight from Ohio for her.

Interesting to hear about the WL/W - I knew it was fairly good, but I wasn't aware it was that good. My kids definitely know where Wilsonville is, because a trip to Bullwinkle's is almost a requirement whenever we're in Oregon..lol.

@Heather - I really didn't mean to hijack your thread. My apologies if you're offended!
I appreciate your questions and input!!! You are thinking of areas and questions I didn't. We seem to be in the same boat. Family with young kids, concerns about eduacation, etc. Hijack away!!!!!

Where in Ohio do you live? I was born in Hamilton and ALL my family (extended family) is in the Cincy metro area and out in Williamsburg!

Old 04-22-2011, 09:34 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,561,057 times
Of the two I would choose Sherwood as I think there are more employment opportunities for you in the west side suburbs. That is a 'gut' opinion, not based on statistics.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Of the two I would choose Sherwood as I think there are more employment opportunities for you in the west side suburbs. That is a 'gut' opinion, not based on statistics.

Thanks Nell! That's what I'm thinking. Given my husband's career, all job opportunities he's looked into are on the west side (Hillsboro & Beaverton). It would probably be the same for me or in the downtown area. I'm okay with commuting. My normal rush hour commute on a daily basis is at least an hour to go about 25 miles. My heart wants SE Portland but after all of the honest advice I've been getting, I'm broadening my research.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philwithbeard View Post
Start here:
Metro: Urban growth boundary
and a graphic PDF map:
http://library.oregonmetro.gov/files/ugbmap0506.pdf

It is very difficult to get any housing development building permits outside of growth boundary.

Until you have been here, and had to cut your lawn in a light drizzle or misty rain on the weekend, you will then understand why, in part, large lawns are not favored. During the height of the dry heat of summer, lawn grass don't (doesn't?) grow all that much. Some parts of the City of Portland, homeowners have converted the front yard over to all evergreen shrubs, or variations on flower beds so they don't have to cut wet grass.

It isn't about the 'burb you live in, it tends to be more about saving gas and commute time by living within a reasonable commute to work or school. Two big employers are on the West side in Washington county, so the economic engine on the West side draws a lot of people to live in Beaverton and Hillsboro and communities to the south west side of town. I am not a long term Portlander, but from what I have experienced, many people don't think it is acceptable behavior to live so far away, you have to spend 55 minutes or more (one-way) commuting to work in your car by yourself. That is excessive urban sprawl, and is a social negative in many parts of the Portland area. But, yes you can, if you really want to, live in Happy Valley, and commute to work in Downtown Beaverton, but why would you?

others, I am sure, will add their opinions.
Phil,

You are a pleathora of information. Thank you! You are really helping me a lot!

Old 04-22-2011, 10:04 AM

780 posts, read 1,576,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherinaustin View Post
I appreciate your questions and input!!! You are thinking of areas and questions I didn't. We seem to be in the same boat. Family with young kids, concerns about eduacation, etc. Hijack away!!!!!

Where in Ohio do you live? I was born in Hamilton and ALL my family (extended family) is in the Cincy metro area and out in Williamsburg!
My wife grew up in northern Salem, so that's helpful in prepping for this move, but her exposure to PDX was pretty limited, so when it come sto looking for places to live, she isn't of much help. I love this website!

I'm from NE Ohio - Canton area. I don't have too much exposure to SWO, except that eldest is in college (CU) down there and my 2nd eldest will join him this fall down there (WSU).

Old 04-22-2011, 10:15 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,561,057 times
Sherwood is probably a longer commute to downtown Portland than Milwaukee. There are lots of employers west of Portland which is why I suggested Sherwood.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:54 AM

51 posts, read 122,382 times
The Milwaukie and Oregon City areas are nicer, in my opinion, than living on the SW side of town. But I guess I'm a bit partial as my favorite golf course is in Oregon City. But both are connected to downtown via highway 99 which makes getting there very easy. Also I get lost on the westside. I just can't for the life of me figure out how to cross the river from over there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland