U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-27-2011, 09:29 AM

161 posts, read 188,812 times

Advertisements

Good morning!

I am currently planning on moving to Portland over the summer. I am living in San Diego, CA, but am getting tired of the beach bunnies. I was born and raised in Berkeley (San Fran Bay Area) and am looking for that hippy, "granola" feel.

I am currently a community college student looking to get into Nursing School (hopefully at OHSU) within the next year or two.

My mom also wants to move up with me, she is a Registered Nurse with a bachelors and multiple masters degrees. She would need to get a job in a hospital, what kind of nursing jobs are available in Portland? Is there only university hospitals? What's the average pay for a nurse with 14 years experience, manager of a large program for 6 years, with a certification in healthcare quality management?

We would be looking for a house together, preferably along public transportation lines to OHSU (my old Subaru can't take commuting anymore). We would like a nice neighborhood that is quiet and safe, with low-medium rent (below $1500/month, preferably around $1200) that has a nice hippy vibe to it. I'm not too familiar with the neighborhoods or burbs of Portland, is there any cool, quirky neighborhoods in a not so expensive part of town?

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 10:05 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,661,979 times
Start here:
Google: Moving to Portland
A couple of hits, very informative, hosted by Real Estate people on the major neighborhoods and the unique 'vibe' each one has to offer. The tone of these web sites are a bit Rah-Rah cheerleader-ish, but hey, what do you expect from Real Estate types?

I am sure you found this site on your own, but the Portland Mass Transit is:
TriMet: Public Transportation for the Portland, Oregon, Metro Area

Oh, and of course the official neighborhood map:
http://www.portlandonline.com/oni/index.cfm?c=35788&
(hint: stick with the 8.5" x 11" map for faster page loading.)

Note: OHSU is on top of a 700' high ridge, and shares the top with a VA hospital; we call it "Pill Hill" which I am sure you understand that ain't anything like an 'approved' or 'official' moniker. Anyway, bus line #8 is the major access to OHSU for commuters. There is also a tramway going from Willamette river front to top of Pill Hill, just search youtube dot com for Portland Aerial Tram; AND there is one YouTube video (shot in HD) that shows Portland with a dusting of SNOW, just to prove the point that Portland does, on occasions, have snow.

Last edited by philwithbeard; 04-27-2011 at 10:07 AM.. Reason: Add map.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:25 AM

684 posts, read 635,700 times
I was looking at a position at OHSU about a month ago, and opted against it. Perhaps it's just perception, but it seems like commuting there would be a nightmare. From what I read, staff parking is grossly inadequate (too little and too spread out), and public transportation options appear to be very limited. There is no train service to the location (due to the aforementioned hill, I'm sure), and given the humongous size of the complex, I'd have to imagine that the tram & buses would be totally overwhelmed. For those local PDX'ers, am I correct or not in that perception?

Old 04-27-2011, 12:27 PM

161 posts, read 188,812 times
Phil:

I did do a google search and found an interesting but if information about the neighborhoods, but wanted a bit of local insight. I find it hard to orient to where anything is on the maps because I am not familiar with the area. I moved to San Diego by reading something like that, and it was a mistake. That MAX line looks fantastic! Sounds like BART up in the Bay, that was so convenient. Thanks!

Wanderbygrace:

I did find in the forum complaints about parking and commuting, which is why I am looking for something specifically close and the easiest way to commute. It sounds inconvenient, but it is also an excellent hospital (and has been rated within the top 5 for Nursing education for the last few years).

Old 04-27-2011, 02:04 PM

6,936 posts, read 7,707,420 times
For the OP's Mom: There are several of excellent hospitals and health care systems that hire RN's and Nurse Practitioners, all have employment websites. OHSU, Kaiser, Legacy, Providence, there is an Adventist hospital.

OHSU has an excellent nursing school but so does U of Portland and Linfield (which has a Portland campus).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland