U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 05:01 PM

5 posts, read 4,088 times

Advertisements

Again, I appreciate your replies and advice.

Nell Plotts: I will definitely suggest this to him. It sounds like it will reduce the amount of risk involved.

Daisy32673: I know it will be a huge change, and I am very scared, but prepared to go through with it. Thank you for the advice. Perhaps we will push back the move date to save up even more than we had already planned.

Leisestrum: Heh, I was trying to avoid giving too many unnecessary personal details, but I guess it does sound kind of bad with what little I've said. Anyway, I appreciate your concern, but our relationship has been stable for almost three years now. We talk with voice chat every day, and we've spent.. let's see here.. about 45 days of that time together "in real life" and get along perfectly. I am also confident that he will not be unfaithful - if we didn't trust each other, our relationship would not function the way it has. And there are two main reasons he doesn't want to live in California: one is the strict gun laws (again, it sounds bad, but he happens to enjoy collecting & shooting at the range, and is not violent at all); the other is the high cost of living here. I was born and raised in the San Francisco area; I'll be 21 this month, and I'm finishing up my college degree in a few weeks; no job or apartment of my own yet.

He's been trying to convince me to move to Ohio first. The benefits are that he already has a job, and could find an apartment before I get there. The downside is that I will still want to move back to the west coast eventually, and I'm not sure it will be any easier after a year or however long I stay there... still trying to decide what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 05:06 PM

7,036 posts, read 7,913,460 times
IMHO, if you want to move to Portland you need a transferable job or skills in demand. That means that you need to find a job where you are today with employees in Portland, or you must have a skill set in high demand (pharmacist, RN come to mind). Much to my amazement Starbucks makes significant training investments in their employees. I have heard that a current Starbucks' employee with a good employment record will be hired for an opening before hiring someone without that training.

Think strategically.

Ohio isn't really a bad place to live although I wouldn't choose Cleveland (I have friends with a beautiful home for sale there if you are interested). If you really want to move to Portland (or even Seattle) eventually consider whether or not that is a move he would happily make.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:11 PM

418 posts, read 660,695 times
Look, I've wanted to move to Portland from Minneapolis for the last 3 years. There is no other city in the US that is as accommodating to so many of my interests as Portland, so I've definitely did my fair share of research on moving there, and it's really fairly simple..

Like most of the west coast, don't move there unless you have a lot of money saved or you have a job waiting for you.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:35 PM

5,708 posts, read 4,603,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishes View Post
He's been trying to convince me to move to Ohio first. The benefits are that he already has a job, and could find an apartment before I get there. The downside is that I will still want to move back to the west coast eventually, and I'm not sure it will be any easier after a year or however long I stay there... still trying to decide what to do.
My earlier comments notwithstanding, it is hard to fault your boyfriends logic. He doesn't have an apartment yet? How old is he? What kind of job are we talking about? Again, none of my business but you know why I am asking. And you are young. Not as young as I thought but plenty young. You've got to get this out of your system though, don't you. Hmmmmm. I'm afraid you're going to have to suck it up and move to Ohio if you really want to try this out. No other plan is workable. I urge you though to look at this the way someone who isn't in the situation would. Young and in love, neither of you really having been on your own before. Online chatting is not being with someone. It doesn't even come close. The short amount of actual "real time" together argues against setting up house in a city where neither of you has an anchor.

H

Old 05-04-2011, 07:38 PM

13,601 posts, read 10,684,720 times
Kishes, may I ask "Why Portland?" Why are you choosing a town where the unemployment situation is so bad? A town where you have never been? There have to be other places on the West Coast where you could find work more easily although frankly if your BF has a job already in Ohio I would stay there. He is correct in suggesting you do that.

That way you would be able to save money to move to Portland or wherever to live on while job hunting. It's possible that in a year or two the employment situation here will improve. And you will have work experience. So I think it will be easier for you to move from Ohio to Oregon in a couple of years rather than now.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:59 PM

5 posts, read 4,088 times
Thanks once again for the replies.

Nell Plotts: I don't think I really have specialized skills, unfortunately. I will have a Bachelor's degree in Geography and Environmental Studies, and some experience with geographic information systems from my classes. I'm trying to find internships and entry-level positions. As for Ohio... he lives near Dayton, so we would be much closer to Cinci than Cleveland.

gearedtowardssalad: Thanks for the tip - we will make it a priority to save up plenty of money and apply to jobs before going there.

Leisestrum: You still seem reluctant to have faith in our relationship, but I don't see much point in trying to convince you more. He's 24, lives with his dad but has been planning on moving out for a long while, and he has a steady/professional job as a draftsman. So yeah, I consider his job a significant factor to consider because it is quite a good situation. Anyway, thank you for your opinion; it is good to have outside perspectives.

Minervah: To be perfectly honest, I had no idea that the unemployment situation was worse in Portland than anywhere else, given the economy. We were looking at Seattle too, or honestly anywhere in Oregon or Washington. I believe the reason we considered Portland more-so is because of the excellent bike lanes and public transportation, and I've just heard it's a nice place to live and a green city. Thank you for your opinion. I think we can all hope that the economy will recover within the next couple of years.

Anyway, after a lengthy conversation with him today, I'm leaning more towards moving to Ohio first, then returning to the west coast when we have more money and work experience. Of course, I will still keep my options open for a while and try to keep thinking carefully about the best course of action.

Man, here I was hoping for a list of neighborhoods and I got solid advice on what to do with my life. Thanks again, everyone, for your input.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:43 PM

13,601 posts, read 10,684,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishes View Post
Thanks once again for the replies.

Nell Plotts: I don't think I really have specialized skills, unfortunately. I will have a Bachelor's degree in Geography and Environmental Studies, and some experience with geographic information systems from my classes. I'm trying to find internships and entry-level positions. As for Ohio... he lives near Dayton, so we would be much closer to Cinci than Cleveland.

gearedtowardssalad: Thanks for the tip - we will make it a priority to save up plenty of money and apply to jobs before going there.

Leisestrum: You still seem reluctant to have faith in our relationship, but I don't see much point in trying to convince you more. He's 24, lives with his dad but has been planning on moving out for a long while, and he has a steady/professional job as a draftsman. So yeah, I consider his job a significant factor to consider because it is quite a good situation. Anyway, thank you for your opinion; it is good to have outside perspectives.

Minervah: To be perfectly honest, I had no idea that the unemployment situation was worse in Portland than anywhere else, given the economy. We were looking at Seattle too, or honestly anywhere in Oregon or Washington. I believe the reason we considered Portland more-so is because of the excellent bike lanes and public transportation, and I've just heard it's a nice place to live and a green city. Thank you for your opinion. I think we can all hope that the economy will recover within the next couple of years.

Anyway, after a lengthy conversation with him today, I'm leaning more towards moving to Ohio first, then returning to the west coast when we have more money and work experience. Of course, I will still keep my options open for a while and try to keep thinking carefully about the best course of action.

Man, here I was hoping for a list of neighborhoods and I got solid advice on what to do with my life. Thanks again, everyone, for your input.
I sincerely hope you are able to relocate here someday when the time is right. Best of luck to you.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:46 PM

7,036 posts, read 7,913,460 times
Cinci is not the end of the earth although in most of our opinion Portland is the center of same. You would be a great addition to our community but it is important that you and your companion find an economic niche.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:59 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,303,208 times
I'm going to throw this out there Kishes. Most of the people responding to your posting are older, and are having trouble remembering a time in their life when they would take a chance like the one you are talking about. They are thinking practically (which isn't horrible), but definitely shows some age and maturity.
This board tends to be a bit of a downer about people moving to Portland ( I personally think it is a bit lob-sided on the negatives).

I moved to Seattle when I was 22, had only been there once as a kid, had one friend in the entire city (slept on his couch for 3 weeks). I figured how could a city that gave me most of my favorite bands be wrong? I drove across the country to get there with just the stuff in my car. He had a potential job lined up for me (and I got it). It wasn't much money, but I got by, made friends, and have a couple of the best years of my life. Your time after college will be awesome almost anywhere you go.

Point being, that most of the folks on this board talking about what a crazy idea you have, are way past a point in their lives when they could imagine doing something impulsive or unknown. You're not going to get much sympathy here.

Is what you're talking about doing possible? Absolutely.
Does it happen all the time? Yes
Have others done it and failed? Yes, as well.

So it may work or it may not, but you'll give it a try and probably have a great time doing it.

And to your OP, that is a pretty high rent price, and could get you a decent place in almost anywhere in the city. Look to the NE and SE, as this will be the highest percentage of people in your age bracket, and some of the best social scenes.

And I grew up in Ohio.............

Old 05-05-2011, 12:10 PM

16,106 posts, read 16,101,185 times
Or perhaps some of us senile members actually do remember all too well times in our own lives when we did something or moved somewhere on a whim, and it didn't work out well for us. Sometimes there's nothing romantic and magical about being broke in a strange city...sometimes it plainly sucks and can be downright dangerous.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 05-05-2011 at 12:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland