Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 06:25 PM

425 posts, read 958,720 times

Advertisements

Being in NYC where we have multiple teams in almost every major sports league (rumors are the NY Cosmos will be coming to the MLS soon) I always get curious as to what fans in states without pro teams in some leagues.

Obviously the Trailblazers, Timbers and Winterhawks are the teams that represent true Portland pro teams, but what about MLB, NFL & NHL, what are the "local" teams? Meaning when you turn on the local news, or the local FOX affiliate what teams do you see? I would guess the Seahawks & Mariners and maybe the Canucks?

Are there out of market teams there that have big followings? I would guess with PDX's popularity and more people moving there, people would bring their home team alligences with them.

side note: I use to love playing as the Blazers w/ Drexler in Bulls vs. Blazers on the Sega Genesis.

I'm a Mets & Jets fan in NY, never really became a fan of any team in the NBA, love the game but just never became "attached" to any one team to call myself a fan of any team in particular. I like the Blazers, Spurs & Magic...maybe if I do move to PDX and take in a Blazers game in person I'd get the bug and finally have "my team" LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 08:43 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,454,667 times
All of Portland's major sports leagues are in Seattle.
Other than what you mentioned it's college and high school.
Except for the Portland Adult Hide and Seek league.
But they really don't have much of a following. Nobody can ever find them.

(Sorry, I am more of a smartass than a sports guy.)

Old 05-05-2011, 08:56 PM

That's cool, I'm both...add in comics geek (more Scott Pilgrim, Y:The Last Man & Rambo 3.5, less standard superhero fare, although I still like them in small doses...Savage Dragon is the only one I read on a regular basis) and I am a big bundle of something or other...lol

I figured Seattle was the "home" region, which is cool since Seattle's big two teams are about as old as I am...and we have the same amount of championships!

Old 05-05-2011, 10:07 PM

899 posts, read 2,942,765 times
Hi
If you want to take a short drive south to Keizer the Giants short season A level Volcano's play here and its just great fun to watch..The season starts the 22nd of June and runs threw Labor Day..
They play 7 other farm clubs ..Its always a good crowd and the ball park is right of I-5..Come down
sometime and enjoy the fun..Just don't forget your jackets once the sun goes down it gets cold..

Old 05-05-2011, 11:24 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,563,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottykick View Post
(rumors are the NY Cosmos will be coming to the MLS soon)
Are you really not going to count the Red Bulls as NYC area?

Old 05-06-2011, 02:13 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
I would say that the Seahawks have more of a following in the Portland area than the Mariners. The Mariners have their fans, but Portland had its own baseball team for a while (the Beavers, an AAA affiliate of the San Diego Padres), and Oregon State University (in Corvallis, about 80 miles to the south) fields a baseball team (also named the Beavers) that has actually won the NCAA's College World Series several times.

As mentioned, the Salem-Keizer Volcanos play in a fairly snug little stadium right off of exit 260 on I5.

The Canucks don't have any local television deals in the Portland market, as far as I know. They are just a bit too distant to hold much attention in the city. The Winterhawks soak up the hockey attention.

Aside from that, Portland State University's men's basketball team (The Vikings) made it to March Madness (the NCAA Div-I tournament) in 2008 and 2009.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
Are you really not going to count the Red Bulls as NYC area?
I was counting them, I meant that as as a follow up to NYC having multiple teams in almost every major sports league. I still call them the Metrostars though....lol

If I am going to count the Jets & Giants, I have to count the Red Bulls (Metrostars), just to be fair. All three play in NJ, but are named NY....at least the XFL Hitmen had it right...the NY/NJ Hitmen.

The NY Metro area has an insane amount of teams

Baseball
New York Yankees (Bronx)
New York Mets (Queens)
Staten Island Yankees (Staten Island)
Brooklyn Cyclones (Coney Island)
Long Island Ducks (Long Island)

Football
New York Jets (NJ Meadowlands)
New York Giants (NJ Meadowlands)
*Buffalo Bills (Orchid Park,NY) not NY Metro and never covered in NYC, but the only NFL team to play in NY
Hartford Colonials / New York Setinals (Hartford,CT)
New York Sharks (Brooklyn,NY)

Basketball
New York Knicks (NYC)
New Jersey/Brooklyn Nets (Newark,NJ / Brooklyn in 2012)
New York Liberty (NYC)

Hockey
New York Rangers (NYC)
New York Islanders (Long Island)
New Jersey Devils (Newark, NJ)
Hartford Wolf Pack (Hartford, CT)
Bridgeport Sound Tigers (Bridgeport, CT)

Soccer
New York Red Bulls / New York Metrostars (Harrison, NJ)
Sky Blue FC (Piscathaway,NJ)

Lacrosse
Long Island Lizards (Long Island)

Rugby
Old Blue (NYC)
New York Athletic Club RFC (NYC)

NCAA
St. John's (Queens & NYC)
UCONN (Storrs, CT)
Hofstra (Long Island)
Rutgers (Camden, NJ)
Seton Hall (South Orange,NJ)
LIU (Long Island)

Pro Wrestling (Sports Entertainment)
World Wrestlng Entertainment (based in Stanford,CT)
Victory Pro Wrestling (Long Island)
New York Wrestling Connection (Long Island)
Jersey All Pro Wrestling (Rahway,NJ)

I think we can afford to relocate some franchises to states without teams....lol

Last edited by scottykick; 05-06-2011 at 07:29 AM..

Old 05-06-2011, 06:50 AM

Well I always hear Portland mentioned in the same breath as Los Angeles, San Antonio & Vegas for consideration for NFL expansion teams. I think LA is the NFL's priority right now, but if they go the expansion route (and that is the real reason they want to move to an 18 game season) they will need to add a second expanion team to balance things out.

From what I have heard, if they get the 18 game season approved, they will announce two expansion teams to begin play on 2015, and then two more to begin 2017.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:53 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,098 times
Portland used to be a HUGE pro wrestling town. Whatever happened to that? I remember watching Portland wrestling on TV when I was a kid in the 70s.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:08 AM

Yeah, I believe Billy Jack Hayes was the big star to come out of the region. He had a decent WWF run in the 80's. but his matches from the old territories were really good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland