Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 08:38 PM

6 posts, read 12,971 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I and my boyfriend are looking to move to Portland, Oregon next year and we would like to learn a little more about this city. First off, we heard that Portland is a very liberal city and that's kinda what we are looking for, but we aren't completely to the left and we are not hipsters, we are both into the heavy metal scene.

Here is a list of our political/religious beliefs:

We are both agnostic

We support gay marriage

I drive a 1996 Oldsmobile (sorry, can't afford a hybrid and I really don't care)

We both want to live in a clean city and we hate litter.

Also, we plan on hunting deer during the winter. ( we support the 2nd amendment)

Ok, enough with that. Now I have a few questions for you guys.

How is the heavy metal scene in Portland? We are not big fans of indie music.

Can someone please explain to me what a "Portland Granola Woman" is? We heard this rumor that their are a lot of women in Portland that do not shave or shower regularly.

Where are the cheapest but also the nicest apartments we could rent?

Does it really rain like 6 days out of the week?

How brutal is the winter season in Portland compare to Butte, MT (I lived there for 2 and a half years)?

What time is last call? How is the night life?

Does Portland have pretty good public transportation?

Well, I think that's all for now. If I can think of anything else I'll defiantly chime in.

All responses are highly appreciated. Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 09:30 PM

892 posts, read 2,392,316 times
You will find discussions including answers to pretty much all of these questions if you just read through this forum at all. You won't even have to search...these are all the most commonly asked ones.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:52 PM

5,459 posts, read 8,176,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissIsis View Post
Can someone please explain to me what a "Portland Granola Woman" is?

Old 05-10-2011, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Now you gotta ask, is the walking stick for "spiritual" purposes...or is it due to one of those chronic health problems that only strike affluent white people?

Old 05-10-2011, 10:07 PM

Default vegan black metal chef (you can't make this up)

Well okay, someone else obviously made it up...but I just mean, well, man some nights the Internet really amazes me (in an awesome way).

YouTube - Vegan Black Metal Chef Episode 1 Pad Thai

Old 05-11-2011, 08:49 AM

425 posts, read 958,596 times
I have not been to Portland yet, but plan on relocating once all my ducks are in a row, but to answer one of your questions, from my research and how many articles are online raving about it, the Portland transit system is one of the best in the world and from what I have read about how it runs, it compares very favorably and in some ways is better then the NYC MTA system, only down side is that it is not a 24/7 service...but then again very few cities with large mass transit systems keep it going 24/7. I beleive it shuts down at 12:30...

I did read that they kind of have an almost "honor system" about paying fares, as people sometimes just flash an old expired ticket when boarding.

but until you experience anything for yourself, other peoples opinions can only take you so far....but at least they give you a general idea of what to expect.

I'm a big Oldsmobile guy myself, my Brother had an old silver Cutlass with a t-roof, great car. so you get points there in my book. while your at it, make sure to eat a burger out of the old styrofoam containers...lol

Old 05-11-2011, 09:24 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,452,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottykick View Post
I did read that they kind of have an almost "honor system" about paying fares, as people sometimes just flash an old expired ticket when boarding.
Ha. That used to be. People really abused this.

Now you may get away with once or twice until a big bad fare inspector
smacks you down with a great big fine.

You might be talking about "Fareless Square" downtown, but that is gone or going away too.

Too many people trying to get something for nothing.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:38 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,760 times
Portland has a heavy metal scene, I know of a couple of bands that are pretty close to hitting it big. Seattle's is bigger though.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:47 AM

600 posts, read 1,468,591 times
[quote=MissIsis;19099488]Hello everyone! I and my boyfriend are looking to move to Portland, Oregon next year and we would like to learn a little more about this city. First off, we heard that Portland is a very liberal city and that's kinda what we are looking for, but we aren't completely to the left and we are not hipsters, we are both into the heavy metal scene.

We are both agnostic All sorts of religious beliefs here, you wont stick out like a sore thumb

We support gay marriage So do most Portland Metro area people

I drive a 1996 Oldsmobile (sorry, can't afford a hybrid and I really don't care) Not that many people really drive hybrids here

We both want to live in a clean city and we hate litter. The city is clean for the most part, there is litter in every city though

Also, we plan on hunting deer during the winter. ( we support the 2nd amendment) There's plenty of hunting to be done in the Fall, Blue Mountains for example

Ok, enough with that. Now I have a few questions for you guys.

How is the heavy metal scene in Portland? We are not big fans of indie music. Not sure about this one

Can someone please explain to me what a "Portland Granola Woman" is? We heard this rumor that their are a lot of women in Portland that do not shave or shower regularly. To put it simply, there are lots of women and men who dont really get dressed for the day. In other words its commonplace to see people out and about in their pajamas or sweats. People are very lax about their looks here compared to other cities Ive lived in like Los Angeles where when you go out you have the hair, makeup, clothes, bag, shoes, etc. etc. Portland is very dressed down

Where are the cheapest but also the nicest apartments we could rent? Whats your budget?

Does it really rain like 6 days out of the week? Sometimes yes, mostly from October to June. You could say its pretty gray out 6 days of the week but may or may not be raining

How brutal is the winter season in Portland compare to Butte, MT (I lived there for 2 and a half years)? Not really brutal. We get snow but not a ton. Its more gray, rainy, dreary weather that gets to people

What time is last call? How is the night life? 2am most places. Nightlife is ok. Certainly not that of Seattle, LA, San Diego. There are a lot of cool brew pubs to check out

Does Portland have pretty good public transportation? Yes

Old 05-11-2011, 02:32 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,760 times
BTW - you have to put in for deer and elk tags. It's run like a lottery these days, but is geared so that those who didn't get it the year before have a better chance to get one the next year. I think there are still a few areas where anyone can get tags, but they're pretty undesirable for hunters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: