Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 09:41 PM

73 posts, read 246,793 times

Advertisements

I got a job in Tualatin, will move around mid June. Looking for a place to live. We are a lesbian couple, middle aged but still "hip n' cool"! We have 1 small, quiet, well-mannered dog that will go to work with me(I'm a groomer). I don't want to pay the equivalent of a month's rent for deposits for the dogs. So an apartment is probably out of the question. My partner will find work after the move. She's a chef, bartender, singer, musician, painter, all-around renaissance woman. We will be down to one car for a few months, so proximity to mass transit is important. So my question is whether it's possible or likely to find a single family house or duplex that would be less than $1000? Frankly, it should be more toward $700-800. 1 bedroom is fine. We now live in Palm Springs, CA in a mid-century 2 bed 1 bath with huge yard for $1025. A roomie pays $450 to bring it down even further, but we'd like to not have the roommate thing. Is this at all realistic? Where should we look to modify our "wants"? What if we looked at something further out? We could get a second car sooner.

Last edited by LucyI'mHome; 05-11-2011 at 09:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 01:18 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,484,001 times
I trust you have used Google Maps with Satellite view. Thus you already know that Tualatin is deep in the 'burbs for Portland; strong traditional family orientated suburbia. (<-- this be code words !!)

Your Mass Transit options for commuting to work are going to be limited. The closer along highway W99 you get to Portland, the more comfortable you will be with your neighbors. I would suggest at a minimum, look at Multnomah Village or north into Hillsdale (don't confuse with Hillsboro.) Many more commute options as you go north, and thus closer to downtown Portland;Hillsdale, John's Landing, South Burlingame, Lair Hill, etc.

Some one may suggest Aloha, but I don't know about driving from Aloha to Tualatin in commuter traffic.

On the other hand, just to the NW of Tualatin, in Durham; there are is a very upscale mall called Bridgeport Village. Quite a few traditional chain (Franchise) type restaurants in and around that mall.

Phil

PS: Congratulation on the Job. Wonderful news. Best of luck to you both on your move. Please let us know how things work out for you.

Last edited by philwithbeard; 05-12-2011 at 01:22 AM.. Reason: Add post script.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:06 AM

666 posts, read 1,844,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philwithbeard View Post
On the other hand, just to the NW of Tualatin, in Durham; there are is a very upscale mall called Bridgeport Village. Quite a few traditional chain (Franchise) type restaurants in and around that mall.
Technically, Bridgeport Village is in Tualatin, although they don't like to admit it. My wife works for the company that owns the property. Also, Durham is much smaller than people think. Its a whopping 0.4 square miles (265 acres).

LucyI'mHome - From what I've seen living here in Tualatin for the past two years, most people wouldn't have problems with a lesbian couple. We're only 12 miles from downtown so there is still quite a bit of progressive Portland influence. While we may not lean as far left as Multnomah county, anti-LGBT is not even on the radar politically.

If you can't find the housing you need in Tualatin, you may want to try Ashcreek, Crestwood, or West Portland Park neighborhoods. They lie about half way between Tualatin and downtown. I mention those because I have a few friends that live in that area. The homes are a bit smaller, you'd be closer to downtown, the cultural diversity is high, and the commute to Tualatin would be easy.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:54 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I looked on craigslist at the towns you've mentioned, but all I see in my price range is apartments. Are there places other than CL I should be looking to find rentals?

Old 05-12-2011, 02:08 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
Were I you I would rent in an extended stay hotel initially and then go on your home search. Nice houses rent in a nanosecond - often with just a sign in the yard, what you see on Craigslist will be gone before you can fill out an application from out of town. Also, most houses are owned by individuals who want to meet prospective tennants. No one wants to risk renting to a tweaker.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:50 PM

117 posts, read 274,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyI'mHome View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I looked on craigslist at the towns you've mentioned, but all I see in my price range is apartments. Are there places other than CL I should be looking to find rentals?
try hotpads.com... they list houses as well as apartments, you can search by map area.

good luck.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:52 PM

117 posts, read 274,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Nice houses rent in a nanosecond - often with just a sign in the yard, .
I am finding this to be very very true... you go look at a rental house and when you get there they tell you they already have 5 applications pending... it can get frustrating.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:40 PM

I didn't think pets would be such an issue in Portland. I'm originally from the northwest, showed dogs, so I know there's a huge dog loving population. Must have been some bad apples spoiled the barrel. I understand the need for landlords to be careful who they rent to. But really. Background checks? 1st month rent + equivalent of 2 mo for security? $400 for each pet? Full credit check in this economy? Really? Really! I've owned rentals in the past. If I felt that unsure of the renter that I needed to do all that, well, I just didn't rent to them! Not like you're going for a top secret security clearance!
We are rethinking. We may put everything in storage and do a roommate situation. Looking on CL, lots of choices under roommate wanted. That will give time to drive around and get to know the areas, make friends, put out feelers for a great place to live... or an okay place even.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:32 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyI'mHome View Post
I didn't think pets would be such an issue in Portland. I'm originally from the northwest, showed dogs, so I know there's a huge dog loving population. Must have been some bad apples spoiled the barrel. I understand the need for landlords to be careful who they rent to. But really. Background checks? 1st month rent + equivalent of 2 mo for security? $400 for each pet? Full credit check in this economy? Really? Really! I've owned rentals in the past. If I felt that unsure of the renter that I needed to do all that, well, I just didn't rent to them! Not like you're going for a top secret security clearance!
We are rethinking. We may put everything in storage and do a roommate situation. Looking on CL, lots of choices under roommate wanted. That will give time to drive around and get to know the areas, make friends, put out feelers for a great place to live... or an okay place even.
Very good idea. Many times it takes just as much networking to find a good apartment as it does a job in Portland.

My present landlord was the only one who never asked for all the stuff you mentioned above. That's because he knew me from living in the building across the street.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:06 PM

132 posts, read 341,562 times
Another option (if you can't find a share right away) is boarding your dog while you stay in an inexpensive hotel and search for a place. There are tons of doggie daycare and boarding places. While we were were waiting for our moving truck to arrive, we stayed in a hotel and boarded our dog at a place we like very much. (He's since stayed there when we've traveled.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland