U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 06:12 PM

9,669 posts, read 15,421,834 times

Advertisements

My $0.02.

I lived most of my life in NW Portland. I just don't think that bike/transit from there to OHSU is optimal. In winter, with the rain & extended night hours I just don't think she would be a happy camper.

I live in what many call the Goose Hollow or King's Hill neighborhood. I suggest you look at Vista St. Clair Apartments and Portland Towers . There are a couple smaller apartment buildings in the area but these offer you the most options, including parking, and are very safe. You can easily walk to the MAX Goose Hollow stop to go to Intel, there is a commuter bus run from that stop to OHSU or she can bike to the OHSU bus that runs near Portland State University (she should talk to the hospital about her options). If you want to drive you have a choice of jumping on the Sunset from Jefferson Street or going out Burnside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 06:41 PM

3 posts, read 2,890 times
Thanks! I've looked into these two buildings, but the apartments look microscopic. I'd sooner pay more money than feel like I went back ten years and moved into the freshman dorm.

I also have a friend who lives in Goose Hollow Townhomes who's trying to get us to sublet his place (he just closed on a house). It seems painfully close to the interstate (noise/pollution), though, and we wouldn't be able to move in for another 6 weeks. Perhaps a someone else who's been near those units could provide a more unbiased opinion?

Old 06-01-2014, 09:12 PM

Generally sound travels up. I haven't looked at those housing units but it is my recollection that they are lower than the freeway.

Lots of luck finding a better deal than the apartments I mentioned.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:12 AM

1 posts, read 877 times
Default Moving to PDX, need find area to live in a good school district within easy commute of Ronler Acres

Got some useful info from your threads, thanks. We are moving from Ireland to OR this summer 2015, my partner will be working in Ronler Acres. We have 3 kids aged 12, 11 and 9 who will need Middle/High Schools. I've been on GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community website and see the schools in Hillsboro aren't rated quite as highly as elsewhere in PDX. So my question is: I'm looking for a house with a decent garden in a nice leafy area within easy commuting/driving distance of Ronler Acres (preferably on max line but not a necessity) and most importantly it needs to be a very good School area. Happy to commute approx. 30 mins each way to work. Thanking you in advance for your advise, if possible will you give me zip codes of areas you think might fit the criteria.

Last edited by kildare; 01-23-2015 at 10:25 AM..

Old 01-23-2015, 10:44 AM

1,056 posts, read 809,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kildare View Post
Got some useful info from your threads, thanks. We are moving from Ireland to OR this summer 2015, my partner will be working in Ronler Acres. We have 3 kids aged 12, 11 and 9 who will need Middle/High Schools. I've been on GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community website and see the schools in Hillsboro aren't rated quite as highly as elsewhere in PDX. So my question is: I'm looking for a house with a decent garden in a nice leafy area within easy commuting/driving distance of Ronler Acres (preferably on max line but not a necessity) and most importantly it needs to be a very good School area. Happy to commute approx. 30 mins each way to work. Thanking you in advance for your advise, if possible will you give me zip codes of areas you think might fit the criteria.
You might have better luck starting a new thread, but I'll help you out anyway. For the best schools in Hillsboro as well as an easy commute to Intel, you need to go north of 26 to the Bethany area. Also Oak Hills, Rock Creek and Cedar Mill areas next to Bethany would be fine as well; the key is staying north of 26. The schools up there are much better than the rest of Hillsboro because of the heavy population of engineers and other highly educated professionals that live in that area. Zip codes that I know of up there are 97006 and 97229 but be careful of 97006 as that zip code stretches South of 26 as well. The Bethany area is more expensive than the surrounding areas because of the schools and that it's more of an upper class area. The high schools in the area mentioned you will want to look at will be either Liberty, Westview or Sunset. They are all North of 26 although Liberty is Hillsboro school district and Westview and Sunset are Beaverton.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:17 AM

114 posts, read 274,420 times
I am not sure about your price range but we stayed at Indigo on SW 13th when we first got here. It is an amazing building with a great location.

Old 01-30-2015, 12:53 AM

7 posts, read 5,216 times
I would think centering around the Sunset Transit center in Beaverton would be a pretty good middle ground. The West Hills, Raleigh Hills, or off of Barnes. As mentioned, finding a house or townhouse with a yard that allows dogs may be the biggest challenge. In these areas you might have some luck AND you would be within a short distance to the MAX station and hwy 8, Scholls Ferry, and Barnes-- all of which are good side roads to be close to. The commute west would be easy either by car or on the MAX as Ronler Acres is a stop on the line. Of course, you can take advantage of the MAX to go east just two stops and be in the midst of Portland's greatness. Or you can take Barnes which turns into Burnside right into downtown. Being anywhere along I-5 would make the commute to Hillsboro in your miserable category.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:54 AM

9 posts, read 7,744 times
Yeah... Decent houses under $400K in Hillsboro are hard to find. My husband is a process engineer at Ronler Acres. Renting with any pets will be a challenge. We have a 2-pound caged rabbit, and we struggled to find a rental that would take him.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:56 AM

9 posts, read 7,744 times
Kildare, how's this for irony: the reason the standardized test scores are so low in Hillsboro is because the students are failing math! This, in a town full of Ph.D engineers. Weird, huh?

Old 02-05-2015, 08:21 PM

I wonder if there has been a major change in math texts. I recall a highly educated parent (not in Oregon) complaining about texts going to what I would describe as big-picture math story problems from linear mathematics skill development. Odds are those PhDs were educated using the latter system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or