Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 02:21 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,554,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceloveandtattoos View Post
We just moved here to Portland, and our 8 year old goes to Chapman Elementary School in the NW district...She says she loves it more than any other school she's ever been to They are really nice there. Beautiful grounds, too. Good luck!
I am a Chapman Elementary graduate, as are my now grown children. Teachers & principals change but the culture of a neighborhood doesn't. It has always been a community that treasures talents of everyone and parents work together.

What Chapman has lost since I was a kid is the availability of low cost housing in the neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 07:38 PM

1 posts, read 757 times
Hi All
We are relocating from New Jersey to Hillsboro, OR. My husband is a Sr SAP FICO Consultant. I just wanted to know whether a salary of 90k will be enough to make a good living and saving at the same time with a family of two persons, i.e. Me and my husband.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:37 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,554,439 times
If the $90 is a salary you should do fine. However, if he will be an independent contractor, not an employee, you should reduce the $90 by one third ($60) for the equivalent salary. $60T is not generous for a professional.

That said I do not know if the rate offered is in line with his skills & responsibilities.

Old 01-28-2015, 03:01 PM

82 posts, read 110,837 times
Quote:
The only no-go is living in the state of Washington when working in Portland.
what would be the problem?

Old 01-28-2015, 04:04 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,021,659 times
The problem is that you pay Oregon income tax if you work in Oregon, and you pay sales tax when you shop in Washington. It's the worst of both worlds. Plus there are only 2 bridges so the commute is bad and getting worse.

Old 01-28-2015, 04:07 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,616,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pecivil View Post
what would be the problem?
Most people view the primary advantage of living on the WA side vs. OR to be the lack of income tax. If you work in OR, OR will collect income tax regardless of where you live, plus as a WA resident you'll pay property+sales tax to WA.

Not to mention you'll have to deal with the traffic flow in/out of the city.

None of this is insurmountable, so "no go" is putting it a bit strong, but it's not the standard recommendation of way to go at it. Though each case is bit different, as a general rule it is true that by working in OR you're giving up several of the primary advantages of living on the WA side in the first place.

[Edit - Rob types faster and/or more concisely than I ]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland