Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 08:22 PM

23 posts, read 71,123 times

Advertisements

I was in Portland for business all last week which was the first time I had been back in 35 years (I was born there). All I can say is -- Wow -- is it beautiful. I have lived all over the southeast and midwest and there is nothing close to as scenic as Portland and the Oregon coast.

The people were friendly and I liked the neighborhoods. I stayed downtown one night and by the airport the other two. Granted, it was sunny and clear the entire time, but the greenery and trees was almost overwhelming. One of my clients suggested I make a trip to Florence (spent a night in Eugene too) and drive up 101 and I'm glad he recommended it. I don't see how folks don't crash on 101 taking it all in. Impressive to say the least.

Some other random observations:

Now I know what vegetables are supposed to taste like.

The overall vibe was so much more laid back than what I was used to.

People seemed happy.

Beer was excellent.

Strangers were helpful.

Didn't notice the infamous street kids too much.

Google maps in Portland is a joke. One of my clients mentioned because Portland is such a "plugged in" city it messes up the circuits?? (His explanations were more technical, but that was the gist.

Food seemed cheaper.

Smiles all around.

Coffee shops all around.

Women with hairy armpits all around (just kidding )

Drivers were much more aggressive than I thought. More traffic on 84 than I expected.

Now don't worry, I don't plan on moving to Portland next week ha ha, but I do see why people want to move to your fair city.

Kudos!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 09:27 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,501,757 times
Welcome back, if only for a visit. When I was young and full of p*** and vinegar my mother recommended that I start my professional career elsewhere because you don't want to make your apprentice mistakes in Portland.

Like you I returned, but I was in a position to stay. Many of my classmates retired, and returned.

Old 05-25-2011, 02:06 PM

758 posts, read 2,366,269 times
Thank you very much! And welcome back!

Old 05-25-2011, 04:47 PM

86 posts, read 109,314 times
well taht's nice write up. But c'mon you live in chicago...

Old 05-25-2011, 04:48 PM

86 posts, read 109,314 times
but on 2nd thoughts I should follow your advice on the trip to coast...may make me like this place more...

Old 05-25-2011, 05:41 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,501,757 times
When I was a college graduate (back in ancient days) my mother told me to seek employment elsewhere then return as a seasoned professional. Chicago has seasoned you, come on back when you are ready.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:37 PM

425 posts, read 956,633 times
I'm a lifelong New Yorker, and Portland seems to be the 360 change I now seek, nothing against NYC, it's possibly the greatest city in the world, but maybe it's just a case of the grass always being greener on the other side, but now in my early 30's I kind of feel that it in a way is over rated, due to while there is something to do at any hour, you need to sleep sometimes, and you need a decent amount of cash to take advantage of it...still a great city, but it's just a time for a change of pace.

Chicago is agreat city, I really want to go to a game at Wrigley one day.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:56 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,365,976 times
I am originally from Chicago but have lived in Portland since 1979. I still like Chicago a lot. I think it's a great city.

Old 05-29-2011, 05:18 PM

26 posts, read 54,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I am originally from Chicago but have lived in Portland since 1979. I still like Chicago a lot. I think it's a great city.
I am also originally from Chicago and moved to Portland in 1971. Haven't had a decent pizza since.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:01 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,110,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreymanorborn View Post
I am also originally from Chicago and moved to Portland in 1971. Haven't had a decent pizza since.
But why would you move across the country, to a new region, and expect to find food that is unique to Chicago? This isn't Chicago.

I would never go to Chicago and expect to be able to find razor clams and eggs on a breakfast menu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland