Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2011, 08:12 PM

181 posts, read 455,751 times

Advertisements

...because I believe I am the second person from Ohio to receive a job offer in Portland this week! I am beyond thrilled to be joining you all in what I think is one of the most beautiful cities in the country!

To summarize my job search experience: I began 11 months ago and applied for 16 positions between then and now. That probably doesn't seem like a lot, but A) I was searching for a job in the nonprofit sector, which isn't very large in Portland; B) I only applied for jobs that I felt I was 100% qualified for; and C) for several months I was simultaneously applying and interviewing for jobs in NYC, where I lived for six years prior to moving to Ohio. I landed interviews for 4 of the 16 positions. I suppose that's not too terrible considering the economy, but I do feel that I would've fared MUCH better if I had been a local candidate. I should also mention that my very first interview in Portland led to two subsequent interviews, which demonstrates the importance of networking! Someone who interviewed me last summer later changed jobs himself and invited me to apply for a position with his new company. That didn't pan out either, but someone else from that second interview later invited me to apply for another job - which is the one I ultimately got. It's been an interesting ride, to say the least!

Perhaps my story is boring you all to tears, but I always enjoyed reading about others' experiences while I was searching for jobs. To make this more worthwhile for you, I'll share a couple tips I picked up along the way...

For those of you out there who are looking for nonprofit jobs in Portland, I found two mailing lists that were particularly helpful. One is called Mac's List, and the other is CNRG Portland. Google and you will find them.

For "green" jobs, search for Sustainable Business Oregon and PDX Green Drinks.

Don't forget government jobs... usajobs.gov is the federal site, oregon.gov is for state jobs, and Google "Portland Metro" for local.

Another little trick is when you find a job you're interested in, Google the job title and company name, and see what other websites it's posted on. That's how I found some of the lists mentioned above.

Good luck all! And to the regulars here, thank you for helping me learn so much about Portland over the past year!!!

See you in PDX next month! Now to find an apartment...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 08:34 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,098 times
Fantastic! Congratulations!

Old 05-25-2011, 08:48 PM

638 posts, read 1,178,751 times
Sweet!!! Congrats, gma!!!

Old 05-25-2011, 09:11 PM

86 posts, read 109,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gma221 View Post
...because I believe I am the second person from Ohio to receive a job offer in Portland this week! I am beyond thrilled to be joining you all in what I think is one of the most beautiful cities in the country!

To summarize my job search experience: I began 11 months ago and applied for 16 positions between then and now. That probably doesn't seem like a lot, but A) I was searching for a job in the nonprofit sector, which isn't very large in Portland; B) I only applied for jobs that I felt I was 100% qualified for; and C) for several months I was simultaneously applying and interviewing for jobs in NYC, where I lived for six years prior to moving to Ohio. I landed interviews for 4 of the 16 positions. I suppose that's not too terrible considering the economy, but I do feel that I would've fared MUCH better if I had been a local candidate. I should also mention that my very first interview in Portland led to two subsequent interviews, which demonstrates the importance of networking! Someone who interviewed me last summer later changed jobs himself and invited me to apply for a position with his new company. That didn't pan out either, but someone else from that second interview later invited me to apply for another job - which is the one I ultimately got. It's been an interesting ride, to say the least!

Perhaps my story is boring you all to tears, but I always enjoyed reading about others' experiences while I was searching for jobs. To make this more worthwhile for you, I'll share a couple tips I picked up along the way...

For those of you out there who are looking for nonprofit jobs in Portland, I found two mailing lists that were particularly helpful. One is called Mac's List, and the other is CNRG Portland. Google and you will find them.

Don't forget government jobs... usajobs.gov is the federal site, oregon.gov is for state jobs, and Google "Portland Metro" for local.

Another little trick is when you find a job you're interested in, Google the job title and company name, and see what other websites it's posted on. That's how I found some of the lists mentioned above.

Good luck all! And to the regulars here, thank you for helping me learn so much about Portland over the past year!!!

what makes you say this? please explain more...I am thinking of moving out of portland but somedays I feel like it is mistake.

Congrats on your job!

Last edited by derniss; 05-25-2011 at 09:11 PM.. Reason: d

Old 05-26-2011, 08:25 AM

780 posts, read 1,577,217 times
Quote:

Speaking as the other Buckeye to get a job in the PDX (well..technically Milwaukie), CONGRATULATIONS!

I'm far more familiar w/Oregon than most Ohioans, since I married an Oregon lass, and I will say that you need to keep an open mind to the culture (far more progressive than Ohio) & the weather (lots of gloomy days & rain, but no snow nor muggyness), and you will LOVE the area! I'm so excited to get out there and I hope you enjoy it a ton!

Where is your job at? What areas are you considering?

Oh - and where in Ohio are you from? Just curious, as a fellow Stark Countian on here is also moving to the PDX.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderbygrace View Post
Speaking as the other Buckeye to get a job in the PDX (well..technically Milwaukie), CONGRATULATIONS!

I'm far more familiar w/Oregon than most Ohioans, since I married an Oregon lass, and I will say that you need to keep an open mind to the culture (far more progressive than Ohio) & the weather (lots of gloomy days & rain, but no snow nor muggyness), and you will LOVE the area! I'm so excited to get out there and I hope you enjoy it a ton!

Where is your job at? What areas are you considering?

Oh - and where in Ohio are you from? Just curious, as a fellow Stark Countian on here is also moving to the PDX.

Thanks!! I've lived in Dayton for the past two years, but prior to that I lived in NYC for six. And prior to THAT, I grew up in Texas. So I'm not a "true" Ohioan. I hope this won't offend you, but I've been itching to leave Ohio since the moment I got here. (I moved here due to my boyfriend's job.) I really dislike the oppressively hot, humid summers, as well as the terrible snowstorms we sometimes get here. To me, September and October are the only pleasant months in Ohio. I also dislike living in such a conservative environment. Living in Manhattan for six years, I had almost forgotten that conservatives exist. Sooo... I think I will like Portland just fine. I've already made four trips out there, and it just feels "right." I'm very comfortable there, and I can't WAIT to explore more of it!

I'll be working in fundraising for a non-profit health system. I'm looking at apartments in Nob Hill/NW and around the South Park Blocks. I'm determined to live within a mile or two of the amazing farmer's market near PSU!

We're arriving in Portland at the perfect time, eh? This is going to be an awesome summer!

Old 05-26-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derniss View Post
what makes you say this? please explain more...I am thinking of moving out of portland but somedays I feel like it is mistake.

Congrats on your job!
Two words: GREEN and CLEAN! In terms of natural beauty, I feel the Pacific NW can't be beat. I visited Portland in February, and the grass was bright green and there were flowers blooming everywhere. I had never seen anything like it. I'm a nature freak, so I love that Portland offers such easy access to some of the best hiking in the country. I've also never seen a city Portland's size that's so clean. The non-stop drizzle must wash all the trash and grime away.

Have you visited Portland? I would advise against moving anywhere without visiting first!

Old 05-26-2011, 05:31 PM

780 posts, read 1,577,217 times
Quote:
Thanks!! I've lived in Dayton for the past two years, but prior to that I lived in NYC for six. And prior to THAT, I grew up in Texas. So I'm not a "true" Ohioan. I hope this won't offend you, but I've been itching to leave Ohio since the moment I got here. (I moved here due to my boyfriend's job.) I really dislike the oppressively hot, humid summers, as well as the terrible snowstorms we sometimes get here. To me, September and October are the only pleasant months in Ohio. I also dislike living in such a conservative environment. Living in Manhattan for six years, I had almost forgotten that conservatives exist. Sooo... I think I will like Portland just fine. I've already made four trips out there, and it just feels "right." I'm very comfortable there, and I can't WAIT to explore more of it!

I'll be working in fundraising for a non-profit health system. I'm looking at apartments in Nob Hill/NW and around the South Park Blocks. I'm determined to live within a mile or two of the amazing farmer's market near PSU!

We're arriving in Portland at the perfect time, eh? This is going to be an awesome summer!
LOL, I've been here in NE Ohio my entire life, and also don't care for the muggyness and snow. Glad I'm getting rid of that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: