U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-06-2011, 10:30 AM
 
Location: the Beaver State
6,468 posts, read 11,182,191 times
Reputation: 3513

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sueisme View Post
FWIW: here's a link to an old New Yorker article about the CEO of Whole Foods: topic_food,business : The New Yorker

Give me New Seasons any day. Love them and love the folks who work there.
Amen. If I didn't work for a slightly better company, they'd be my second choice for employment. Everyone is always friendly, and the customer service is phenomenal. You can tell people love working there, and that translates into a better place to shop. I'm willing to pay higher prices for that reason alone, but add in the fact that they have better quality food over all and it's an easy choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-06-2011, 04:14 PM
 
Location: Lakewood OH
20,927 posts, read 22,518,996 times
Reputation: 32867
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Amen. If I didn't work for a slightly better company, they'd be my second choice for employment. Everyone is always friendly, and the customer service is phenomenal. You can tell people love working there, and that translates into a better place to shop. I'm willing to pay higher prices for that reason alone, but add in the fact that they have better quality food over all and it's an easy choice.


I knew someone who couldn't find a job right away as an attorney after graduating law school. He was able to find work at a New Seasons as a checker and loved it there. When he finally did get an offer from a law firm, he actually hesitated to leave NS because he had enjoyed working there so much.

I kind of think of Whole Foods as a sort of "Yuppie" snob place mostly because it's so expensive. I don't find the friendly Portland atmosphere I find in New Seasons or Trader Joe's. I know TJ's isn't Portland based but they appear to have the friendliness of the Portland persona.

Back to things unique about Portland. How about Portland having a once-weekly newspaper, "The Portland Tribune" voted number 1 of its kind.

Portland Tribune named nation's No. 1 nondaily - Worldnews.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2011, 07:20 AM
 
Location: Lacey, WA
291 posts, read 897,418 times
Reputation: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
People here use ranch dressing on everything.

A couple of transplants have pointed this out to me, although I haven't particularly noticed it, myself. (I do use powedered ranch mix in mashed potatoes ~ mmm . . . good.)
People inject ranch dressing into their veins here. Coming from Canada, I never saw such a thing, ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khyron View Post
It's fairly commonplace to say "thank you" to transit operators as you disembark in several cities we've lived in across Virginia, in Philadelphia, in Pittsburgh, in Albuquerque, in Seattle, and in Toronto and Ottawa. So while it might surprise some folks it's definitely not unique (and I should hope not, I think transit employees should be appreciated).

Finally, on the ranch dressing note...dipping everything imaginable in ranch dressing is extremely common all over the American south. In fact, believe it or not, there is a regional fast-food pizza chain across Virginia and parts of North Carolina called Chanello's whose trademark it is to enclose ranch dipping cups with their pies for use with the crusts. When I was in high school this became established long before Papa John's came along with the idea of dipping cups and garlic "butter." For all I know, Chanello's might even have been on the forefront of the whole dipping cup thing alltogether (though I'm saying that as someone who never traveled much as a kid).
I'm from Ottawa, Ontario and lived in Toronto. Saying thank you is a regular thing to the transit drivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2011, 02:11 PM
 
14 posts, read 23,934 times
Reputation: 15
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the lack of flouride in the local drinking water and consequently all the people walking around with rotten teeth.... then again the rotten teeth could be due to all the meth around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2011, 03:36 PM
 
Location: the Beaver State
6,468 posts, read 11,182,191 times
Reputation: 3513
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyDecker View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the lack of flouride in the local drinking water and consequently all the people walking around with rotten teeth.... then again the rotten teeth could be due to all the meth around.
Oy, that's an argument and a half! Oregon and fluoridation: The go-to place for tooth decay | OregonLive.com

Ironically - it wasn't until moving to Beaverton (which does have flouride) that I personally started having issues with my teeth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2011, 04:00 PM
 
Location: Just outside of Portland
4,406 posts, read 5,522,249 times
Reputation: 4421
I find it curious that this has never been an issue until just recently for some reason.
I travel a quite a bit throughout the western states and have never noticed that Portland residents have worse teeth than anywhere else I've been.
When you read the posts on this forum about flouridation, you get the impression that people in Portland walk around with their teeth rotting and falling out of their mouths!
I for one like my water without government mandated additives.
Use some flouride toothpaste if you want flouride.
It's cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2011, 05:06 PM
 
Location: Bay Area - Portland
286 posts, read 454,361 times
Reputation: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
I find it curious that this has never been an issue until just recently for some reason.
I travel a quite a bit throughout the western states and have never noticed that Portland residents have worse teeth than anywhere else I've been.
When you read the posts on this forum about flouridation, you get the impression that people in Portland walk around with their teeth rotting and falling out of their mouths!
I for one like my water without government mandated additives.
Use some flouride toothpaste if you want flouride.
It's cheap.
I find it curious that you would continue risking the health of Oregonís children because of an irrational fear of a government mandated additive thatís clearly been proven safe after decades of use.

While you may not have noticed people walking around with their teeth rotting, statistics say otherwise.

I for one like all my food and water protected by health regulations and my governmentís oversight.

Itís safer (it may not be as cheap, but in the long run, well worth the cost).

Oregon ranks 48 out of the 50 states in the percentage of people having access to fluoridated water, with only New Jersey and Hawaii ranking lower.

"Many U.S. children and adults still suffer needlessly from oral diseases that could be prevented. Proven preventive measures, such as water fluoridation and dental sealants, can markedly reduce dental disease, yet they often remain unavailable to those who most need them." (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1998)

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2001 - "Because frequent exposure to small amounts of fluoride each day will best reduce the risk for dental caries [cavities] in all age groups, the work group recommends that all persons drink water with an optimal fluoride concentration and brush their teeth twice daily with fluoride toothpaste."

National Academy of Sciences, 2002 - ďResearch provides conclusive evidence that fluoridation of the water supply or supplemental fluoride reduces dental caries, and of all dietary components exhibiting a protective effect against caries, the most effective is fluoride. Exposure to fluoride at all ages prevents dental caries and both pre- and posteruptive exposure to fluoride has cariostatic effects. The earlier children are exposed to fluoridated water or dietary fluoride supplements, the greater the reduction in dental caries in both the primary and permanent teeth.Ē

Institute of Medicine, 2000 - "In region VII (Pacific), where only 19 percent of the population is served with fluoridated water, the difference in caries scores between fluoridated and nonfluoridated areas was 61 percent."

American Academy of Family Physicians, 2006 - "Fluoridation of public water supplies is a safe, economical, and effective measure to prevent dental caries."

American Academy of Pediatrics, 2006 - "...recommends that all persons drink water with an optimal fluoride concentration...."

American Council on Science and Health, 2006 - "Water fluoridation is an ideal way of improving dental health and controlling health care costs."

American Medical Association, 2006 - "The AMA urges state health departments to consider the value of requiring statewide fluoridation...."

American Public Health Association, 2006 - "We believe that the single most important thing that a community can do for the oral health of its citizens is to fluoridate its drinking water."

World Health Organization, 2006 - "Fluoridation of water supplies significantly improves dental health in regions with low natural fluoride in the water."

Andrew Weil, 2005 - "The easiest, most efficient, and most costeffective means of making sure that children have adequate fluoride to protect against tooth decay is to support fluoridation of your area's water supply."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2011, 05:55 PM
 
Location: Just outside of Portland
4,406 posts, read 5,522,249 times
Reputation: 4421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dual Citizen CA-OR View Post
I find it curious that you would continue risking the health of Oregon’s children because of an irrational fear of a government mandated additive that’s clearly been proven safe after decades of use.
I find it curious how you determined that I have an "irrational fear" of flouride, and how all of a sudden *I* am the one "risking the health of Oregon’s children" because of this irrational fear.

How in the world did you manage to get all that out of "I for one like my water without government mandated additives."?


Back off, buddy.

Don't put words in my mouth.
It's already got a full set of healthy, 50+ year old native Oregonian original choppers that have never been exposed to flouridated water with any long term consistency.
But I do use flouride toothpaste. And practice good dental and oral hygeine.

Why are you so bent out of shape about this? Is it something personal between you and teeth?
And you say statistics say otherwise.
Show them to us.
All you provided was a statistics telling us that "Oregon is 48th out of 50 states in the percentage of people having access to fluoridated water, with only New Jersey and Hawaii ranking lower.", and some shout-outs for flouride.
Show me actual statistics about PORTLAND's non use of flouride and how Portlander's teeth are falling out of their mouths.

I am going to call my wife's cousin in New Jersey and ask her if she has any teeth left in her family.
If it's so bad here, it should be really bad there.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 06-08-2011 at 06:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2011, 06:27 PM
 
3,290 posts, read 4,950,542 times
Reputation: 6051
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
I find it curious how you determined that I have an "irrational fear" of flouride, and how all of a sudden *I* am the one "risking the health of Oregonís children" because of this irrational fear.

How in the world did you manage to get all that out of "I for one like my water without government mandated additives."?


Back off, buddy.

Don't put words in my mouth.
It's already got a full set of healthy, 50+ year old native Oregonian original choppers that have never been exposed to flouridated water with any long term consistency.
But I do use flouride toothpaste. And practice good dental and oral hygeine.

Why are you so bent out of shape about this? Is it something personal between you and teeth?
And you say statistics say otherwise.
Show them to us.
All you provided was a statistics telling us that "Oregon is 48th out of 50 states in the percentage of people having access to fluoridated water, with only New Jersey and Hawaii ranking lower.", and some shout-outs for flouride.
Show me actual statistics about PORTLAND's non use of flouride and how Portlander's teeth are falling out of their mouths.

I am going to call my wife's cousin in New Jersey and ask her if she has any teeth left in her family.
If it's so bad here, it should be really bad there.
Amen. Tried to rep you but couldn't. Can't believe how worked up some people get about this issue. My teeth and those of about everybody I know are still firmly attached and decidedly not rotting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2011, 08:28 PM
 
Location: The beautiful Rogue Valley, Oregon
6,849 posts, read 14,637,699 times
Reputation: 8862
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
All you provided was a statistics telling us that "Oregon is 48th out of 50 states in the percentage of people having access to fluoridated water, with only New Jersey and Hawaii ranking lower.", and some shout-outs for flouride.
IF the statistic (actually sound bite) is true, it's likely true simply because the largest city in Oregon doesn't fluoridate the water AND a chunk of the state's population lives outside metro areas and gets water from small or private wells, which also don't have to be fluoridated. The more of a state's population inside a major metro area, the more likely that the population is exposed to fluoride.

I'm not in favor of adding it to the water supply simply because you'd never know what your intake is, between the water, the toothpaste and mouthwash. Seems much wiser to use it (if you are going to) in a format where you can KNOW what dose you are getting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top