Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 06:25 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,425,824 times

Advertisements

A word to the wise. If you think you will need an air conditioner, don't wait until a heat wave to buy one. The stores are notorious for running out of them if the weather gets unseasonably warm for any length of time. It's also true of fans. Fans are appearing in the stores now from Home Depot to Walgreens. Chances are you will need one of those. Now is a good time to buy one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 07:35 PM

682 posts, read 1,577,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gma221 View Post
Here's another weather question for you all: on hot days (85+ degrees), does it typically stay warm through the night or cool down (à la Colorado)? This will be the first time in my life that I won't have air conditioning, and I'm a little concerned about being horribly uncomfortable at night!
Unlike other areas like the Southeast (where I just spent four days and nights in a 24/7 sweatbox), it virtually always cools down at night in those cases. Whether you home cools off depends on ventilation as Minervah stated.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:10 PM

600 posts, read 1,468,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
A word to the wise. If you think you will need an air conditioner, don't wait until a heat wave to buy one. The stores are notorious for running out of them if the weather gets unseasonably warm for any length of time. It's also true of fans. Fans are appearing in the stores now from Home Depot to Walgreens. Chances are you will need one of those. Now is a good time to buy one.
Good call! I always have friends who wait and are stuck going from store to store trying to find a fan or wait weeks just to get AC installed and by the time they get to it you dont need it anymore

Old 06-07-2011, 07:17 AM

499 posts, read 1,446,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy32673 View Post
If you have anything with a second floor it will get and stay hot. Our house has a second floor with a master that faces southwest and it gets hot in there. We do have AC but I still cover the windows with room darkening shades to help keep it cool in there. It doesnt cool off (outside) too much when we get those really hot days but there are other things you can do besides AC to help it not get so hot
I grew up in a 3-story house in Irvington & I can remember many hot uncomfortable nights during heat waves. I had a sleeping porch off of my 2nd story bedroom & it didn't make much difference when I'd go out there to try and sleep. (It was west-facing.) Fortunately we had a basement that was always cool.
I'd advise you to get a fan or airconditioner and be prepared for those hot nights.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:53 AM

333 posts, read 810,139 times
It doesn't happen often, but it does happen that we get days hot enough here that it doesn't cool down at night indoors. The building itself absorbs and then radiates heat throughout the night. I rarely use A/C but when I do I am hugely grateful for it. Anybody remember that week a couple years ago where it was above hundred each day?

Old 06-08-2011, 09:16 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,431,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprightly View Post
It doesn't happen often, but it does happen that we get days hot enough here that it doesn't cool down at night indoors. The building itself absorbs and then radiates heat throughout the night. I rarely use A/C but when I do I am hugely grateful for it. Anybody remember that week a couple years ago where it was above hundred each day?
God yes! We put up the tent and slept in the backyard the entire time. Was the only way to get sleep at all as the house just wouldn't cool down.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:54 AM

638 posts, read 1,177,966 times
Bring it. Here's what Austin has to look forward to:

"Forecasters say it appears the region is in for another sweltering summer, similar to 2009, when Central Texas had 68 days of 100-degree weather. Already the mercury has reached triple digits five times this year, including a record 103 yesterday at the airport and at Camp Mabry."
-Austin Statesman, June 7, 2011

Old 06-12-2011, 10:52 PM

58 posts, read 124,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiemama View Post
Bring it. Here's what Austin has to look forward to:

"Forecasters say it appears the region is in for another sweltering summer, similar to 2009, when Central Texas had 68 days of 100-degree weather. Already the mercury has reached triple digits five times this year, including a record 103 yesterday at the airport and at Camp Mabry."
-Austin Statesman, June 7, 2011

meh..I'll take that..atleast it'll feel like summer.

Moving here from the east, I did appreciate the mild winter, but I guess I'm having a hard time dealing with the fact that it took all the way till mid june to get decent weather and at night it cools right back down to the low 50s and sometimes even 40s. Ah well......it's not for me. I'll take a few more snowy days to get an extra month to two months of summer.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:00 PM

287 posts, read 738,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx81 View Post
meh..I'll take that..atleast it'll feel like summer.

Moving here from the east, I did appreciate the mild winter, but I guess I'm having a hard time dealing with the fact that it took all the way till mid june to get decent weather and at night it cools right back down to the low 50s and sometimes even 40s. Ah well......it's not for me. I'll take a few more snowy days to get an extra month to two months of summer.
Welcome to Oregon. Apparently you came here during a record cool and wettest spring in half of a century. Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland