U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 10:45 AM

6,043 posts, read 6,086,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-AT28 View Post
You guys aint painting the prettiest picture so far of Portlands job market, but thats what I need to know and it further emphasises I should do the best I can to hopefully transfer with my current company. Sans me doing something utterly stupid to get fired or the second coming of the great drepression hits, im pretty well stable with my current employee and now going on 6 years of reliable work.

Whats the word on Salem vs Eugene then? Why are they that much better vs the portland area? I've been to Seattle a few times recently and I don't much care for that much urban life style so hence why im shying away from Eugene or Salem.

I also don't have family in that area that I can settle with temporarily while I get myself situated, hence another major reason for Vancouver/Portland, I have family there
Portland is more urban than Eugene or Salem...

Yeah I'd try to transfer with your current company if you can, especially if it's a good job and company to work for. Trying to find decent job right now in this market? I mean, does anybody really wanna go there unless they have a big saving account they don't mind seeing pissed away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 06:00 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,496,780 times
Well crap, looks like i'll be waiting awhile then unless fate has something for me. I"ll be taking a tour later this summer while visiting family and she how hardcore I wanna press for moving there.

I keep hearing about how great Eugene and Salem is, but I don't really believe it and don't consider those towns much of an upgrade from my present position

Old 06-04-2011, 01:16 AM

2,316 posts, read 6,699,140 times
Quote:
Well crap, looks like i'll be waiting awhile then unless fate has something for me. I"ll be taking a tour later this summer while visiting family and she how hardcore I wanna press for moving there.

I keep hearing about how great Eugene and Salem is, but I don't really believe it and don't consider those towns much of an upgrade from my present position
Salem? Meh. Probably not your cup of tea. Eugene? Eugene I think would be an upgrade from Missoula. Eugene is a bigger place, for starters. It probably centers less on UO than Missoula does on UMT.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:54 AM

9,811 posts, read 15,919,037 times
AT-AT28 one of the reasons why a couple of us are encouraging you to consider Eugene is that the city is highly regarded, many in Portland would move there if they could find a job in the area. Evidently you have the job issue resolved because you can do an internal transfer. If after moving to Eugene you find you don't like the town it is much easier to find a job in Portland because you are closer.

The economy in Eugene is fairly stable because of the presence of the University and employers such as Symantec that leverage the presence of their graduates.

Last edited by Nell Plotts; 06-04-2011 at 11:47 AM..

Old 06-07-2011, 03:30 PM

Decided im gonna have to find out for myself as i'm sensing alot of bitter and hate about Portland from peeps who are/have lived there. Not one for taking everyones advice literally, im gonna visit Portland next month after the 4th and spend some time looking around the city and getting an idea of what its really about.

Any particular area's I should drive around/walk to get a sense of what the city is like? And yes, i'm gonna have an umbrella if it rains, I hate water on my glasses, so bite me.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:32 PM

9,811 posts, read 15,919,037 times
I think you will find extremes of opinions on forums, I don't see bitter and hate except for maybe a couple now and then. Not bad for a metro area over a million. What you may be seeing are cautionary flags. There are those who think Portland is Nirvana. Those of us who live here know that some new arrivals have difficulty adjusting to our climate and trouble finding a job. If your expectations are low then if you move here you will, God willing, be prepared financially and emotionally.

Yes, please visit and explore the community. Maybe line up a couple job interviews, or at least informational interviews.

We want your experience in our community to be all that you hope for.

There are so many neighborhoods worthy of a visit, it is hard to know where to start. Washington Park, Powell's Bookstore, NW 23rd, Waterfront Park, OHSU Tram - my west side stomping grounds.. If you are driving stop at Multnomah Falls and/or Timberline Lodge enroute.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:38 PM

20,877 posts, read 22,462,461 times
Quote:
Decided im gonna have to find out for myself as i'm sensing a lot of bitter and hate about Portland from peeps who are/have lived there. Not one for taking everyone's advice literally, im gonna visit Portland next month after the 4th and spend some time looking around the city and getting an idea of what its really about.

Any particular area's I should drive around/walk to get a sense of what the city is like? And yes, i'm gonna have an umbrella if it rains, I hate water on my glasses, so bite me.
Please do not think of cautionary advice as "bitter or hate." People often idealize this city by what they hear from the media which rarely gets it right. Those who go by this information or what they want to perceive the city as are often disappointed.

From my point of view, if anyone who is able to find a job at a living wage has all the prospects of liking this town. Once that is accomplished, you will more than likely find much of what you are looking for just as any other town you may choose to live in. There are all kinds of people here along with activities.

The weather is a deal breaker for many people. So you should be aware of that. People don't expect to get SAD or just become depressed at the gloomy weather but they do. Others like me, love the overcast conditions.

By all means, please come here and talk to people. Look around. Come to my neighborhood which is known as Buckman or Sunnyside depending upon how far East you travel. Go down the main business section of Hawthorne Blvd. You will see interesting shops and people.

The people are not indicative of those who live in the immediate area but they are sure fun to watch. You will also want to check out downtown. It's not very large and you can walk from one end to the other. Check out the NW and the Pearl District in the NW area.

See as much as you can before you make your own decision.

Oh and lots of people use umbrellas. It's just that sometimes with the strong wind that goes along with the rain it is not practicle. Trust me, if you use one, no one will point and laugh. Whatever keeps you dry.

Last edited by Minervah; 06-07-2011 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: added thought

Old 08-29-2011, 09:41 PM

So im FINALLY coming on over to check out Portland and see if its worth picking up my entire and only life i've ever known and moving on over in the near future. I"ll be staying with family friends in Vancouver from Thursday through Sunday and then heading back home.

If I wanna get a general idea and feel of the city on my first real exploration, any areas I should drive/walk around in and ones to avoid? I have my Droid X to help me navigate

Old 08-29-2011, 10:07 PM

20,877 posts, read 22,462,461 times
All the neighborhoods mentioned here are good. I like this website for descriptions.

Portland Oregon Guide |Portland Neighborhoods Guide

Go to the main streets running through them for restaurants, entertainment and shopping. Go a few blocks past the main streets to look at housing. This by the way is be best and sometimes the only way to find an apartment as well. There is an extremely low vacancy rate in Portland now and the good landlords do not have to advertise. They just put up "For Rent" signs and the apartments are snatched up within less than an hour.

I know you are not ready for renting yet but if you see an apartment you like for rent now, you can jot down the phone number of the landlord and call when you are ready to move and ask if there are any vacancies.

Have a good time on your visit. I hope you get a good feel for Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or