U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 10:07 AM

1 posts, read 393 times

Advertisements

Seaside's your best bet to keep bored kids busy with a bunch of non-beach-related activities like air hockey, video games, etc.

But if you want them to actually enjoy the coast and the nature, then in between Florence and Newport are several stops, including the Sea Lion Caves (a tad overrated), numerous tidepools, Heceta Head, and finally the aquarium in Newport's old town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 02:07 PM

15 posts, read 14,575 times
Seaside is beautiful and lots to do for all ages
You can walk to 90% of the places there.
There are many other towns but they are very spread out.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:31 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,086,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friggsdottir View Post
Along the same lines, I wanted to take my children to the beach one day this summer, followed by a nice, laid-back seafood meal. Are there any restaurants in any of the aforementioned beaches where you can sit on the deck and have a view of the water while eating a great seafood meal? Kind of "Joe's Crab Shack" style (I noticed they have no locations in OR) ?
Try Intro - Mo's Chowder .

Old 06-03-2011, 03:43 PM

6,415 posts, read 10,077,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsoul View Post
Seaside is beautiful and lots to do for all ages
You can walk to 90% of the places there.
There are many other towns but they are very spread out.
You're right. And then there's the big, wide, open beach at Seaside with play equipment. The promenade along the beach -- does anyone know how long it runs? It's a great place for things like bike riding, renting those little bike carts, etc.

I never understand Seaside's bad rap - though I can maybe see it if talking about what satisfies a middle-aged couple.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:24 PM

6,468 posts, read 11,204,012 times
Seaside is also close to Astoria which is my #2 recommendation for Children - at least Fort Stevens. Kids love that place.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:39 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,039,965 times
At some point, take three or four days and drive down the entire coast to the California border. Oregon has one of the most spectacular coastlines in the world. I did that one summer after I moved here, stopping at every beach town and point of interest from Astoria to Brookings. People already have talked about Newport and points north. The dunes at Florence are enormous -- comparable to what I remember in Provincetown on Cape Cod. Bandon, Gold Beach, and Brookings have spectacular off-shore rock formations. One thing that struck me was that towns that had a waterfront area aimed at tourists (restaurants, shops, art galleries) looked fairly prosperous, whereas those that had no touristy areas were full of decrepit-looking buildings and closed-down shopping centers. It was sad. I'm guessing the latter had economies based primarily on fishing, which is a tough industry to be in.

Late summer is a good time to go. If you're lucky, you'll encounter some warm, sunny, relatively wind-free days. But be sure to visit the coast during storm season in winter, too. Watching the crashing waves from a cozy hotel room is an Oregon tradition.

Although it's expensive for a family, the Inn at Spanish Head has one of the best weekend brunch buffets I've ever had. In addition to the usual brunch fare, there's a great selection of seafood. The restaurant sits on the beach above the ocean, and unless you're right next to the window and have an angle of sight downward toward the sand, all you see is ocean.

Old 06-04-2011, 02:44 AM

2,316 posts, read 6,719,603 times
When I was a kid, my family took me to Bandon with regularity. Probably my favorite spot on the coast. Great beaches, a lighthouse (Coquille River Light), and some fun shops (including an awesome candy shop) in downtown Bandon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland