Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2011, 07:28 AM

60 posts, read 68,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Yeah, I liked their slices of pizza. It's comforting to me that some things do not change.

Maybe I will start a thread asking how it's changed since the 80s so I have a better idea of things. Thanks!
I wasnt there in 80s...But I'd imagine it's everything the same minus the Pearl, minus South Waterfront. Portlanders, please correct me. Oh and it was warmer also
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 09:44 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,433,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonmoving1 View Post
I wasnt there in 80s...But I'd imagine it's everything the same minus the Pearl, minus South Waterfront. Portlanders, please correct me. Oh and it was warmer also
MAX wasn't as big a part of City Life. Urban density was a bit lower. Many older buildings have been lost permanently and replaced with new, much taller buildings. Pioneer Square has become "Portland's Living Room." Waterfront park is the most popular park in the city with something going on every weekend from late spring to mid-fall. Saturday Market has partially moved into Waterfront Park.

The Portland Zoo is now the Oregon Zoo and is almost unrecognizable. Besides the train, the "bear pits", and the Penguin house (which is undergoing renovations right now) everything else has been expanded, replaced and heavily remodeled.

The Pearl district is no longer exclusively warehouses and light industry. There are two dozen new condo buildings, several brew pubs, and more amazing restaurants then you can imagine. Pearl has pretty much become what Downtown is supposed to be.

80 has been renamed to 84. 205 is showing signs of wear and has been patched in several places. 26 is on it's third or fourth expansion and widening project. 217 becomes a parking lot during rush hour. Orenco, Willsonville, Canby, Troutdale, Camas, Cedar Hills, Damascus, Happy Valley, Tigard, Bethany, and Tannsbourne aren't just names on a map anymore, they're places where people actually live, work and shop - instead of places you traveled to get fresh strawberries, corn, pumpkins, and Christmas Trees.

Clackamas Town Center has been remodeled, the Ice Rink removed, and a parking garage added. Lloyd Center is covered. Mall 205 and the Beaverton Mall (now Cedar Hills Mall,) have more stores outside then inside. Washington Square added another wing and a parking garage. Eastgate doesn't exist any more, being just a name on a strip mall these days.

OMSI moved from the hill down into the old PGE Building on the East Side waterfront. They have a submarine sitting outside. You can now walk, jog, stroll, meander, wander, commute, bike or hike in a huge loop on both sides of the waterfront.

Speaking of hills - OHSU and the Veterans hospitals have expanded so much that they had to put in a tram from the top of the hill all the way down to the Willamette, and built an entire new neighborhood - "South Waterfront" (where the old RJ Shipyards used to be,) including three multi-story sky scrapers (Portland height Sky Scrapers.)

Nike Town #1

Food Carts are everywhere. Not just hot dogs and gyros, but real meals that you find yourself craving at odd hours. Food Cart #600 opened in 2010, and we've still been growing. We have two separate blogs dedicated to just Portland Food Carts. http://www.foodcartsportland.com/ being my favorite.

People who don't live in those neighborhoods go to Hawthorne and Belmont to for shopping, dining and entertainment. Alberta and Mississippi streets are a destination, not a Ghetto. North Portland in general is no longer a place to avoid at all costs.

McMenamins are everywhere. The old Armory building is now an entertainment venue with several stages inside. No more Professional Wrestling in town, but we've replaced that with nice Punk and Independent Music scene. A Willamette Week reporter won a freakin' Pulitzer Prize!
No one knows who Beverly Cleary is and why she's so special to Portland.

Portland of the 80s is not the Portland of the 21st Century. I bemoan the lost of some of the institutions that made Portland Portland back in the 80's, but I feel that overall Portland is a better city now then it was back then.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
MAX wasn't as big a part of City Life. Urban density was a bit lower. Many older buildings have been lost permanently and replaced with new, much taller buildings. Pioneer Square has become "Portland's Living Room." Waterfront park is the most popular park in the city with something going on every weekend from late spring to mid-fall. Saturday Market has partially moved into Waterfront Park.

The Portland Zoo is now the Oregon Zoo and is almost unrecognizable. Besides the train, the "bear pits", and the Penguin house (which is undergoing renovations right now) everything else has been expanded, replaced and heavily remodeled.

The Pearl district is no longer exclusively warehouses and light industry. There are two dozen new condo buildings, several brew pubs, and more amazing restaurants then you can imagine. Pearl has pretty much become what Downtown is supposed to be.

80 has been renamed to 84. 205 is showing signs of wear and has been patched in several places. 26 is on it's third or fourth expansion and widening project. 217 becomes a parking lot during rush hour. Orenco, Willsonville, Canby, Troutdale, Camas, Cedar Hills, Damascus, Happy Valley, Tigard, Bethany, and Tannsbourne aren't just names on a map anymore, they're places where people actually live, work and shop - instead of places you traveled to get fresh strawberries, corn, pumpkins, and Christmas Trees.

Clackamas Town Center has been remodeled, the Ice Rink removed, and a parking garage added. Lloyd Center is covered. Mall 205 and the Beaverton Mall (now Cedar Hills Mall,) have more stores outside then inside. Washington Square added another wing and a parking garage. Eastgate doesn't exist any more, being just a name on a strip mall these days.

OMSI moved from the hill down into the old PGE Building on the East Side waterfront. They have a submarine sitting outside. You can now walk, jog, stroll, meander, wander, commute, bike or hike in a huge loop on both sides of the waterfront.

Speaking of hills - OHSU and the Veterans hospitals have expanded so much that they had to put in a tram from the top of the hill all the way down to the Willamette, and built an entire new neighborhood - "South Waterfront" (where the old RJ Shipyards used to be,) including three multi-story sky scrapers (Portland height Sky Scrapers.)

Nike Town #1

Food Carts are everywhere. Not just hot dogs and gyros, but real meals that you find yourself craving at odd hours. Food Cart #600 opened in 2010, and we've still been growing. We have two separate blogs dedicated to just Portland Food Carts. http://www.foodcartsportland.com/ being my favorite.

People who don't live in those neighborhoods go to Hawthorne and Belmont to for shopping, dining and entertainment. Alberta and Mississippi streets are a destination, not a Ghetto. North Portland in general is no longer a place to avoid at all costs.

McMenamins are everywhere. The old Armory building is now an entertainment venue with several stages inside. No more Professional Wrestling in town, but we've replaced that with nice Punk and Independent Music scene. A Willamette Week reporter won a freakin' Pulitzer Prize!
No one knows who Beverly Cleary is and why she's so special to Portland.

Portland of the 80s is not the Portland of the 21st Century. I bemoan the lost of some of the institutions that made Portland Portland back in the 80's, but I feel that overall Portland is a better city now then it was back then.
wow...you are VERY well informed. I am honored to read your post. You have much useful background, thank you!

Old 06-24-2011, 01:21 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,586,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post

BTW, I don't do too much TV and have never seen the show Portlandia, but it does sound fun.
Just YouTube it. Most of it is there.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:14 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,431,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonmoving1 View Post
Downtown was completely different. There were more department stores like Penny's, Frederik and Nelson, two Fred Meyers, Meier and Frank and Newberrys. All were within moderate price range. The more upscale store was Lord and Taylor.

More stuff but I have mentioned before so I don't want to repeat myself. Suffice it to say, downtown today does not even resemble the downtown of the 80's.

If you went along Hawthorne you would find very few of the stores that are there today. The same is true for other neighborhoods.

Activity opportunities were also different.

To me, Portland in the 80's is nothing like the Portland of today.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Downtown was completely different. There were more department stores like Penny's, Frederik and Nelson, two Fred Meyers, Meier and Frank and Newberrys. All were within moderate price range. The more upscale store was Lord and Taylor.

More stuff but I have mentioned before so I don't want to repeat myself. Suffice it to say, downtown today does not even resemble the downtown of the 80's.

If you went along Hawthorne you would find very few of the stores that are there today. The same is true for other neighborhoods.

Activity opportunities were also different.

To me, Portland in the 80's is nothing like the Portland of today.
It sounds like it's spread out from downtown to other parts of the city. I like the various neighborhoods in the city, so not a bad thing. But more stores downtown would be nice, like Fred Meyers.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:31 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,995,206 times
Gosh, Portland sure sounds like it has changed. I am in a weird space in that I must move on (the heat in Phoenix is killing me and it's not even July) and I refuse to buy another place in this town and yet have to leave (due to sociopathic next door neighbor). My pool has already gone green once and I never even use it. Sure, it was a nice thought at the time. Mostly, I've never connected with this place or the people.

My two BIG hesitations (and maybe I should start another thread but don't want to overwhelm the forum) would be the rain the the unemployment. Other than these two HUGE factors I am good to go.

I am really happy that CD and this OR forum (and the mods) let this thread go on. It's very important that people hear all sides of the story before making such a life altering decision like moving to a new city. Not only is it expensive, but I read a long time ago that uprooting can take years off one's life. I cannot afford to make one more mistake. So I'll keep reading and researching on my end.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:26 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,431,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygirl 092 View Post
Gosh, Portland sure sounds like it has changed. I am in a weird space in that I must move on (the heat in Phoenix is killing me and it's not even July) and I refuse to buy another place in this town and yet have to leave (due to sociopath next door neighbor). My pool has already gone green once and I never even use it. Sure, it was a nice thought at the time. Mostly, I've never connected with this place or the people.

My two BIG hesitations (and maybe I should start another thread but don't want to overwhelm the forum) would be the rain the the unemployment. Other than these two HUGE factors I am good to go.

I am really happy that CD and this OR forum (and the mods) let this thread go on. It's very important that people hear all sides of the story before making such a life altering decision like moving to a new city. Not only is it expensive, but I read a long time ago that uprooting can take years off one's life. I cannot afford to make one more mistake. So I'll keep reading and researching on my end.
A couple of thoughts about your comments. I don't understand how uprooting can take years off your life. I would like to see proof of that. There would be too many people living too short lives if that were the case.

You are right about the rain and unemployment; there is plenty of both. They are definitely things to take into consideration. If weather is the main reason you want to move, you can find places that have a more suitable climate for you and maybe a better employment picture. Not all cities are suffering as high an unemployment rate as Portland.

But if Portland winds up being your choice, there are steps you can take to make it work. You just have to make sure that Portland or any city you choose has as many of the features you are looking for.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:20 PM

4 posts, read 6,873 times
I'm considering a move to Portland early next year and I'm grateful that this thread is here. It's been very interesting to read and hear the "other side" of living in Portland. It's been very informative and helpful.

Thanks!

Old 07-04-2011, 03:34 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,137,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Lord and Taylor? I don't remember that. I Magnin, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland