Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2011, 11:48 AM

3 posts, read 3,596 times

Advertisements

I've been reading this forum with great interest. I've visited Portland a few times, on vacation at my in-law's place on the coast. We are planning to relocate in March and are considering your lovely city. But I have a few questions that I haven't seen answered yet:

1. How hard is it to make friends in Portland? We lived for most of our adult lives in Austin and made friends easily but since moving to a small town outside of Austin, find that if you don't belong to a church and aren't religious, it can be a lonely life.

2. How is childcare? I have my 2 young children in a mother's day out, half-days, twice a week. It's a nice program and only costs 165/month per child.
How does that compare?

3. Is it possible to live in a walking neighborhood and still have a good sized yard? I lived in central Austin, which was great for walking but had tiny yards. I'm a big gardener and I love to be able to walk to most places -- restaurants, schools, shops. Is it possible to have both. I think we could budget for a 500K house.

4. What's life for a writer like? I'm a novelist and belong to a couple of writing groups. Are there many in Portland?

5. What about things like yoga and Buddhist groups? In Austin you could throw a rock and hit one but where we live now -- not so much.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 03:30 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyLiz! View Post
I've been reading this forum with great interest. I've visited Portland a few times, on vacation at my in-law's place on the coast. We are planning to relocate in March and are considering your lovely city. But I have a few questions that I haven't seen answered yet:

1. How hard is it to make friends in Portland? We lived for most of our adult lives in Austin and made friends easily but since moving to a small town outside of Austin, find that if you don't belong to a church and aren't religious, it can be a lonely life.

2. How is childcare? I have my 2 young children in a mother's day out, half-days, twice a week. It's a nice program and only costs 165/month per child.
How does that compare?

3. Is it possible to live in a walking neighborhood and still have a good sized yard? I lived in central Austin, which was great for walking but had tiny yards. I'm a big gardener and I love to be able to walk to most places -- restaurants, schools, shops. Is it possible to have both. I think we could budget for a 500K house.

4. What's life for a writer like? I'm a novelist and belong to a couple of writing groups. Are there many in Portland?

5. What about things like yoga and Buddhist groups? In Austin you could throw a rock and hit one but where we live now -- not so much.

Thanks!
1. Making friends depends on yourself, and your lifestyle. If you go out of your way to connect with people, I'm sure you'll have no trouble. Just find some common interests, and start there. Oregon is the least-churched state in the nation (supposedly) so that won't be a factor. But don't expect people to approach you and ask to be your friend.

2. Can't answer this one.

3. "In" the city, you won't commonly find large yards, though they do exist. In the suburbs, you'll find larger yards, but less "walkability."

4. Portland is a book city. Readers and writers. You should have no problem finding any number of groups from which to choose. Powell's Bookstore is probably the spiritual center of the book world. Lots of groups of readers/writers posted on their bulletin board all the time.

5. I think you'll find plenty of both. I'd guess that SouthEast Portland has more of them than other parts of the city, but that'd just be a guess.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:31 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,543,539 times
I am finding childcare to be expensive and the best daycares are all booked years in advance. Someone at Helen Gordon Child Development Center told me people reserve it when they are pregnant. St. James has no vacancies - they start at infancy, they said. It depends on where you live, though. But you are not going to find anything for less than $700, at least not a licensed child-care facility. Maybe a home care situation might be more affordable.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:49 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,402,745 times
I agree with what EnricoV said. As for question #5, you should be able to find yoga all over. On the West side, I know of one spiritually based yoga group in Beaverton, a couple of semi-spiritually based ones, and countless non-spiritually based groups at various health clubs. It's been a dozen years since I attended a Buddhist group, and I had to go to the East side for that (the Dharma Rain Center). It was the only one I could find. I don't know whether that's changed.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:33 PM

892 posts, read 1,592,741 times
How big is a big yard? Standard city lot size is 50 x 100. How much that will be arable will depend on how big your house is. I find it plenty big to have a garden and grow things and have too much yard work during the spring and fall.

There are lot and a half and double lots throughout the area. The more desirable the neighborhood, the less likely you'll find the larger lots as Portland encourages infill and the most money is to be made in the most desirable neighborhoods.

Old 09-26-2011, 05:31 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
There are several yoga studios around the Hawthorne Blvd area. I imagine other neighborhoods have them too. It's very popular here. The company I used to work for had two gyms in their buildings and the employees could take yoga instruction during their lunch hour or after work.

You won't have any difficulties finding yoga classes.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:20 PM

181 posts, read 455,696 times
Here are a couple links you might be interested in:

www.meditationinoregon.org - Mahasiddhi Kadampa Buddhist Center. I just happened to pick up a flier for this place in a coffee shop the other day. I don't have any personal experience with them.

www.wordstockfestival.com - Wordstock is a writers festival that's coming up soon. Just read about it in the Willamette Week. If you Google "Portland writers," you will find several groups.

Yoga is everywhere. Be sure to sign up with Groupon and LivingSocial because there are always deals on yoga classes.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:53 AM

159 posts, read 344,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyLiz! View Post

5. What about things like yoga.....
You can get yoga at virtually every grocery store in the area. In fact, it's one of the best selling foods anywhere. There's lots of brands and flavors from which to choose. You can usually find good coupons for it, too.

Oh wait! I thought you said "yogurt". Never mind.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:17 PM

780 posts, read 1,576,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy Weaselpants View Post
You can get yoga at virtually every grocery store in the area. In fact, it's one of the best selling foods anywhere. There's lots of brands and flavors from which to choose. You can usually find good coupons for it, too.

Oh wait! I thought you said "yogurt". Never mind.
Mis-read the original poster, you did.

Oh wait...that's Yoda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland