U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2011, 03:44 PM

6 posts, read 31,477 times

Advertisements

My family is moving back to Oregon for my husband's job in McMinnville. Trouble is: My part-time job (hopefully, maybe someday, full time job) will be in Beaverton/Hillsboro. My daughter's soccer team will be in Tigard/Beaverton.

And we have friends/family in Portland.

We're starting to feel like maybe we want to live in the Portland area and have my husband commute by bus to McMinnville. There is a frequent bus that picks up at the Tigard Transit center.

I'm familiar with the Portland area so it would be fair to say that we are solidly Eastside folk. We are vegetarians, never eat at chain restaurants, love our canine mutt, loath strip malls and "cookie-cutter" houses/subdivisions, walk and bike whenever possible, frequent New Seasons and farmers markets, use cloth diapers, breastfeed in public, love the Goodwill, despise Sarah Palin, and don't wash our car very often. (Read: Never.)

So even though Tigard or Tualatin seem like reasonable geographical middle ground, I'm a little worried about feeling like an alien there.

But maybe I'm wrong? I'm only vaguely familiar with these weird suburbs as I haven't lived in Portland for eight years. Are there crunchy neighborhoods for weirdos like us? Are cool young families moving there in exodus for the affordable housing? (Is housing affordable?)

Am I right to feel like living in McMinnville would feel a little isolating and the driving to work/soccer would be horrendous?

We'd like to live in a neighborhood where people grow their own veggies, raise their own chickens, and their babies play naked in the front yard.

Please tell me what to do.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 05:12 PM

9,809 posts, read 15,904,018 times
McMinnville is a nice college town. If your spouse will be working full time there living in Portland makes no economic sense.

If you split the difference between McMinnivlle and Beaverton/Hillsboro the town of Yamhill would work best.

I hope the PT job you have in mind is worth the commute. Once you are settled I encourage you to find employment more convenient to McMinnville. My $0.02.

Socially you will fit right in but schlepping kids to soccer games where ever you live is a reality.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:37 PM

My spouse's job is 2 years. Summers off. (@ Linfield.) 2 years might turn into 5, or might turn into forever, but we won't know for at least another 1.5 yrs what the future is. The part-time job is at PCC, and for now, it is worth the commute. I'm not sure what the potential is for me at Chemeketa, (have applied to their part-time pool, but haven't heard anything) but I know the PCC campus and I know I'd be happy there.

If Linfield turned permanent then it would make the most sense to live in Mac but if it ends in two years there would be no job opps in Mac for us but lots of opps in Portland. Also, my would-be high-school age daughter would have to uproot (again). Her father (my x-hub) lives in Bvtn, so if she were established in the Portland area he could maintain that if we have to relocate again (but he couldn't maintain McMinnville).

I know that the soccer schlepping is a reality, I'm a seasoned soccer mom. But driving 40-50 min. way, 3-4 x weekly in the evenings sucks more than I'm used to. It doesn't help that her practices won't end until 8:30 or 9 PM and I've also got two young kids at home who will need dinner and bedtime stories. Whereas my husband could commute easily to Linfield by bus, our best hope for soccer is that she could take the bus one way, get picked up by dad or another soccer parent and transported to practice and then me and dad split the drive home. I feel like this will get old, fast.

Ultimately I'm just worried about feeling a little isolated in Mac. I know it's a cool little college town, I've enjoyed my two visits, but I've just lived the last year in a suburb an hour away from Vancouver, BC. I want the action and grit of the big city! I feel like McMinnville will feel real small, real fast.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:12 PM

Ah, academics. If he can take a bus to Linfield then it's do-able. The advantage of a bus commute is that he can sleep or grade papers enroute.

PCC in Beaverton/Hillsboro? I wasn't aware that they had a campus there.

Were I you I would RENT a home convient to the Linfield bus route.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:19 PM

Yes. Renting. Definitely. And convenient to the Tigard bus stop, yes. But that brings me back to the original intent of my post: Could we be happy in Tigard? Or are we a little too hippy?

Old 06-10-2011, 06:21 PM

Oh yeah, the Hillsboro campus is PCC Rock Creek. It's Beaverton/Hillsboro area, just north of the Tanasbourne exit of HWY-26.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:32 PM

No, you are not too hippy. You could live on "the hill" and not stand out. Don't worry about it.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:53 PM

What, or where, is "the hill"?

Old 06-10-2011, 08:13 PM

Portland's west hills, regarded as 'fancy pants'.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:33 AM

2,316 posts, read 6,694,043 times
I could be described as fairly crunchy and I live pretty succesfully in Vancouver, and I personally know a lot of crunchy type folks who live in Beaverton, so I imagine you would be fine in Tigard/Tualatin.

Just don't expect to be surrounded by those kind of folks, but Washington County is pretty liberal, and most folks are pretty live and let live. Be tolerant of those who are different and they ought to be respectful of you. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or