U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 12:20 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,699,871 times
Default Alberta St and Mississippi St.

Someone has suggested these two locations as a good place to live for someone seeking a poor/bohemian community of artists, students and the like. Are these streets located in NoPo or SE? How far away from Cascade College or PSU? Are there used clothing stores, old movie theaters, eclectic outlets, cafe's, main central library in the area? I'm trying to get a feel for what the community is like. I'm interested in a community (opposite) of the Pearl District. Surely not everyone in Portland comes from Trust Funds and makes 50k and up, right? Where are the poor, artistic, socially conscious people living? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 01:57 PM

3,991 posts, read 7,473,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova7 View Post
Someone has suggested these two locations as a good place to live for someone seeking a poor/bohemian community of artists, students and the like. Are these streets located in NoPo or SE? How far away from Cascade College or PSU? Are there used clothing stores, old movie theaters, eclectic outlets, cafe's, main central library in the area? I'm trying to get a feel for what the community is like. I'm interested in a community (opposite) of the Pearl District. Surely not everyone in Portland comes from Trust Funds and makes 50k and up, right? Where are the poor, artistic, socially conscious people living? Thanks
It's definitely North Portland. Mississippi parallels MLK Blvd, running between MLK and the I-5 freeway. If you look up Legacy Emanuel Hospital, Mississippi almost dead-ends into the hospital. Alberta runs the other way, crossing both ML and Mississipi. Close to Cascade, not so close to PSU, which is in the south end of "downtown."

The biggest difference between the Pearl and either the Alberta or Mississippi areas is that the Pearl was pretty much manufactured from nothing and is all quite new - yes, there are trendy boutiques in renovated warehouses, but most of the area has been built or completely rebuilt within the last 5-10 years. North Portland is much older than that, and some areas are being renovated (or seriously yuppified, depending on your point of view). Parts of the area are still very low-income and can be very run-down, the edges are in the process of being renovated and some parts are already renovated.

As a student, I'd pick where to live with an eye toward transit - meaning somewhere along the light rail or a major bus line. MLK is a major bus route, over on the west side of I-5 (search words for that are would be University Park, University of Portland, Overlook) is the Expo Center light rail line, which connects to the Lloyd Center District and the major east-west light rail line.

PSU is on the trolley line (the trolley runs through the campus), and not too far from the light rail (which connects to the trolley line).

Here's a list of neighborhoods:
Portland neighborhoods (http://www.movingtoportland.net/maps_boundary/map_pdxneighborhood.pdf - broken link)

Old 08-07-2007, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
It's definitely North Portland. Mississippi parallels MLK Blvd, running between MLK and the I-5 freeway. If you look up Legacy Emanuel Hospital, Mississippi almost dead-ends into the hospital. Alberta runs the other way, crossing both ML and Mississipi. Close to Cascade, not so close to PSU, which is in the south end of "downtown."

The biggest difference between the Pearl and either the Alberta or Mississippi areas is that the Pearl was pretty much manufactured from nothing and is all quite new - yes, there are trendy boutiques in renovated warehouses, but most of the area has been built or completely rebuilt within the last 5-10 years. North Portland is much older than that, and some areas are being renovated (or seriously yuppified, depending on your point of view). Parts of the area are still very low-income and can be very run-down, the edges are in the process of being renovated and some parts are already renovated.

As a student, I'd pick where to live with an eye toward transit - meaning somewhere along the light rail or a major bus line. MLK is a major bus route, over on the west side of I-5 (search words for that are would be University Park, University of Portland, Overlook) is the Expo Center light rail line, which connects to the Lloyd Center District and the major east-west light rail line.

PSU is on the trolley line (the trolley runs through the campus), and not too far from the light rail (which connects to the trolley line).

Here's a list of neighborhoods:
Portland neighborhoods (http://www.movingtoportland.net/maps_boundary/map_pdxneighborhood.pdf - broken link)

As always, terrific info

What's your take on Arlington Heights and Old Town neighborhood? Is it upscale like Pearl or a community for poor struggling Artists? It would be nice to be close to downtown but I suppose I can find everything I need in North Portland, right? I would like to be "walking distance" from either Cascade or PSU. I imagine those two are not that far a part (30 min) by bus/rail would be my guess, but I can always check TriMet. (The community is what matters most) Does downtown and/or area nearby have the community I described in my earlier post? I don't want to live in upscale communities or those with a lot of fake people, those who "look" poor and have a Porsche in the garage, you get the picture, yes?

So what's the better area Mississipi or Alberta? Which has easier accessibility to busses/rail in to downtown and the rest of Portland?

What's the racial and economic mix look like? I presume that it's not all white like in upscale parts of Portland. I'm Caucasian by the way, just prefer a good mix of people (low income) to moderate is preferred. An area that's relatively safe to walk in at night and close to everything. Someone said NoPo is all warehouse/industrial....something doesn't sound right about that.
Is the area on its way to becoming another Pearl?

This gentrification is happening everywhere in the U.S and it's a very serious problem. Nice vintage communities are turning in to the Beverly Hills of tomorrow

Maybe St. Johns's, Portsmouth, Univ Park?
I would also imagine that the "vibe" is different in NoPo vs Pearl/Downtown?

Old 08-07-2007, 04:07 PM

Quote:
As always, terrific info

What's your take on Arlington Heights and Old Town neighborhood? Is it upscale like Pearl or a community for poor struggling Artists? It would be nice to be close to downtown but I suppose I can find everything I need in North Portland, right? I would like to be "walking distance" from either Cascade or PSU. I imagine those two are not that far a part (30 min) by bus/rail would be my guess, but I can always check TriMet. (The community is what matters most) Does downtown and/or area nearby have the community I described in my earlier post? I don't want to live in upscale communities or those with a lot of fake people, those who "look" poor and have a Porsche in the garage, you get the picture, yes?

So what's the better area Mississipi or Alberta? Which has easier accessibility to busses/rail in to downtown and the rest of Portland?

What's the racial and economic mix look like? I presume that it's not all white like in upscale parts of Portland. I'm Caucasian by the way, just prefer a good mix of people (low income) to moderate is preferred. An area that's relatively safe to walk in at night and close to everything. Someone said NoPo is all warehouse/industrial....something doesn't sound right about that.
Is the area on its way to becoming another Pearl?

This gentrification is happening everywhere in the U.S and it's a very serious problem. Nice vintage communities are turning in to the Beverly Hills of tomorrow

Maybe St. Johns's, Portsmouth, Univ Park?
I would also imagine that the "vibe" is different in NoPo vs Pearl/Downtown?
"North Portland" is a term that means a lot of things. It can mean everything north of downtown, on both sides of the Willamette, up to the Columbia River and over to the airport. It can be "inner" North Portland, which would be roughly east of I-5, north of the Lloyd District, south of Columbia and west of I-205 and any smaller subset. Differnent groups define the areas differently.

To the west of the Willamette, once you get north of the Pearl District, then yes, it's mostly warehouses. There might be a few rentals up on the West Hils, but that's not gong to be student-budget territory, not along Skyline Drive.

On the other side of the Willamette, you have the Portland Shipyards at the bottom of the bluff that the Overlook, University and St. John's districts sit on. Those areas are heavily residential and were Portland's "suburbs" at the turn of the century (the century BEFORE this one - you can still find hitching posts for horses in the curbs over there). I like that area because there are grocery stores (including my favorite New Seasons) and all the general things you need to make a neighborhood.

The Mississippi area is fun to visit (I like to go to the Rebuilding Center), and there are some fun places to eat, but it's not actually a neighborhood quite so much as a trendy commuter locale. There are a growing number of stores there, and they're trying to turn it into a neighborhood, but it isn't there quite yet.

Alberta is a larger area and more of a neighborhood. Again, though, parts of it are seriously gentrified and parts of of it aren't.

Honestly, there are parts of the general North Portland area I wouldn't be happy about wandering around in later at night, not by myself. The Mississippi area is fine, but it's a relatively small area (maybe 5-6 blocks long), and you don't have to go many blocks off to be in a part of town I'd call less safe. Same for Alberta. On the other hand, I'm speaking as a 45 year old woman, YMMV.

In general it's true that poorer neighborhoods are more diverse - there is a huge Southeast Asian/Chinese community off of SE 82nd, with shopping malls and restaurants galore (also in Beaverton). I don't think you can go more than a block without finding good pho in that part of town. But even in the poorer neighborhoods, Portland is still pretty "white," especially if you're coming from someplace else.

Looking through craigslist, a lot of the apartments I see in Mississippi, Alberta (Piedmont, Overlook, Arts, Boise, Elliot) are 1-2 br in the $600-$750 range - is that still in a student budget?

Old 08-07-2007, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
"North Portland" is a term that means a lot of things. It can mean everything north of downtown, on both sides of the Willamette, up to the Columbia River and over to the airport. It can be "inner" North Portland, which would be roughly east of I-5, north of the Lloyd District, south of Columbia and west of I-205 and any smaller subset. Differnent groups define the areas differently.

To the west of the Willamette, once you get north of the Pearl District, then yes, it's mostly warehouses. There might be a few rentals up on the West Hils, but that's not gong to be student-budget territory, not along Skyline Drive.

On the other side of the Willamette, you have the Portland Shipyards at the bottom of the bluff that the Overlook, University and St. John's districts sit on. Those areas are heavily residential and were Portland's "suburbs" at the turn of the century (the century BEFORE this one - you can still find hitching posts for horses in the curbs over there). I like that area because there are grocery stores (including my favorite New Seasons) and all the general things you need to make a neighborhood.

The Mississippi area is fun to visit (I like to go to the Rebuilding Center), and there are some fun places to eat, but it's not actually a neighborhood quite so much as a trendy commuter locale. There are a growing number of stores there, and they're trying to turn it into a neighborhood, but it isn't there quite yet.

Alberta is a larger area and more of a neighborhood. Again, though, parts of it are seriously gentrified and parts of of it aren't.

Honestly, there are parts of the general North Portland area I wouldn't be happy about wandering around in later at night, not by myself. The Mississippi area is fine, but it's a relatively small area (maybe 5-6 blocks long), and you don't have to go many blocks off to be in a part of town I'd call less safe. Same for Alberta. On the other hand, I'm speaking as a 45 year old woman, YMMV.

In general it's true that poorer neighborhoods are more diverse - there is a huge Southeast Asian/Chinese community off of SE 82nd, with shopping malls and restaurants galore (also in Beaverton). I don't think you can go more than a block without finding good pho in that part of town. But even in the poorer neighborhoods, Portland is still pretty "white," especially if you're coming from someplace else.

Looking through craigslist, a lot of the apartments I see in Mississippi, Alberta (Piedmont, Overlook, Arts, Boise, Elliot) are 1-2 br in the $600-$750 range - is that still in a student budget?
Good info PNW Gal. I'd like to shoot for $600 max (util incl) Studio or 1bdr.

Walking distance to a regional/central library would help
Used clothing store near by, not the trendy kind but the ones $3-5 clothing.
Movie Theater/brewry $3 shows
Park-I like to do Tai Chi in the mornings.
Either Cascade or PSU in walking distance
Good ethnic mix/relatively safe
An old/victorian type of a neighborhood w/bohemian vibe (poor residents)
consisting of students, artists, etc...
Nearby bike shop would be nice. You think I'll need a bike? I'm not someone who enjoys driving, unless I absolutely have to.

Seeing that most of the businesses are probably downtown, I'll probably get a job down there. I never had a problem finding work and don't expect it in Portland. Getting in to the right neighborhood is very important and is first on the list. The other thing is that I'm nearing completion of my degree, so by the time I move to Portland I'll be ready for PSU.

So the question would be whether it's better (given all the factors mentioned above) to live near Cascade or PSU. I'm not a "party type" person (too old) for that...lol

I just want to kick back with people over coffee, a small cheap restaurant, catch a movie (ok A LOT of movies ) and find these resources in the neighborhood. I'm very quiet/respectful person, if I party, it will be something I'll host in my home. Kids hanging out at 3am is fine by me, homeless (no problem) I just want a little peace and quiet when I come home to wind down. My philosophy is to keep it simple and live simple.

I looked through Craigslist under Multnomah County as someone suggested that it covers the majority of Portland.
I definitely want to avoid areas like Pearl/upscale to Suburbs/Lake Oswego. It's hard when you look at apartments but don't know what the area is like where they're located. There appear to be quite a few one bedrooms for $600 and many studios in that price range. The other option may be to rent a room for like $300-400 and learn my way around the city/get grounded etc...

Old 08-07-2007, 05:32 PM

2,114 posts, read 3,619,762 times
Cascade is right in the middle between Alberta and Mississippi. There is a library there and everything you keep talking about. St Johns is too far away and has crappy transport. Quite honestly anywhere on the yellow line and within a mile or two of Cascade would make you happy. All of those areas would be considered North/NE Portland.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
Cascade is right in the middle between Alberta and Mississippi. There is a library there and everything you keep talking about. St Johns is too far away and has crappy transport. Quite honestly anywhere on the yellow line and within a mile or two of Cascade would make you happy. All of those areas would be considered North/NE Portland.
That's wonderful news my friend I can't tell you how happy that makes me feel. So now the big decision which area (based on my needs) mentioned would be the ideal location to live in.

North Portland/near Cascade or Old Town/China Town, PSU campus area or Goose Hollow??

I considered SE/Hawthorne and Belmont (areas people rave about) but it's too superficial for me. Sounds like you need to have good money to live there and people who look poor are actually rich. (Not my scene)

Can someone give me a better feel for what Old Town/China Town is like?
I know there's homeless, people getting high, lots of street prostitutes...ok those things don't bother me. How about safety and gangs? Incidence of crime high/low in area?

Old 08-07-2007, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatnik28 View Post
You can definitely find what you want for $600 close to PCC Cascade.

A quick search on CL near the Cascade campus:

Same for the downtown/PSU area, (although it is pricier):

Very Nice! I've been checking there as well. Once I learned the proper county...lol

I don't need anything fancy, just something small to start with and learn the city, get a feel for the area. Try not walk a lot in the rain....lol

Old 08-07-2007, 06:21 PM

2,114 posts, read 3,619,762 times
Quote:
That's wonderful news my friend I can't tell you how happy that makes me feel. So now the big decision which area (based on my needs) mentioned would be the ideal location to live in.

North Portland/near Cascade or Old Town/China Town, PSU campus area or Goose Hollow??
I know there's homeless, people getting high, lots of street prostitutes...ok those things don't bother me. How about safety and gangs? Incidence of crime high/low in area?
Old Town is smack in the middle of the majority of homeless shelters and substance abuse centers. With that comes a lot of stuff from pee everywhere to dealing, tons of people hanging out, tons of petty theft,etc. It's also right by the Greyhound station. It's not a neighborhood that feels like a neighborhood. It's very transitional in every sense of the word.

I'd go for the PSU/dowtown area as then you can go to school at Cascade or Sylvania (since the free shuttle from PSU goes to each campus), you're near everything and public transport is excellent. Then when you go to PSU you don't have to move. There are tons of studios in the $600 or less range in the PSU/downtown/Goose Hollow areas. It's not hard to hop on Max or a bus to other areas of Portland to shop and visit.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:26 PM

Quote:

I considered SE/Hawthorne and Belmont (areas people rave about) but it's too superficial for me. Sounds like you need to have good money to live there and people who look poor are actually rich. (Not my scene)

I love the area around PSU - Goose Hollow and the Park Blocks, but I doubt you'll fnd anything in your price range there.

I wouldn't dismiss Hawthorne or Belmont, though, without visiting - yes, there is an upscale contingent, but there is also a semi-boho group, too, and it has a fairly good vibe (and a great cheap theater, The Baghdad, a McMenamins that serves beer and food). A lot of "sweat shop free" stores and vegetarian and vegan places and brew pubs mixed with upscale shoe and $50 t-shirt places. Several good used clothes stores, too. My favorite theaters are Cinema 21 (in NW on 21st) and the Fox Towers (downtown, next to Pioneer Square) - you can see stuff that will never make the local metroplex. Not necessarily cheap, though.

Old Town/Chinatown is by the missions and soup kitchens - it forms the eastern edge of the Pearl, though, so you might find some nice bargains there, especially if you are not intimidated by aggressive panhandling (and I used to go down there to get a bus home after night class and that was about the worst I ever saw - panhandling. I wasn't always comfortable, but then I wasn't usually really afraid, either). There is a dim sum place (can't remember the name, but I think it's 2 blocks west of the Chinese Garden) to die for - the servers wheel little trolleys of various dim sum around, and you point and pick by the plate - great stuff.

Gang activity in Portland isn't the same as other places - yes, there are serious gangs (imported for California, mostly) but here in Portland it isn't the same kind of "turf warfare," it's more control of the I-5 drug trade, from Canada to Mexico. We do have gang-related shootings and drive-bys, but they aren't a daily (or even weekly or monthly) occurrence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland