Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 11:51 AM

31 posts, read 74,955 times

Advertisements

Hi! Just moved to Portland from the Los Angeles area, and I'm looking forward to the rain! And stocking up on gear for my family So, long-time Portlanders, where's the best place to do something like this? I know there are REI's & Fred Meyer's around, but I'm looking for local, cool shops that stock nice rain & weather gear. And what are the best brands & styles for Portland's style of rain?

Also - we have a 2 1/2 year old who also needs gear - so places that cater to toddlers would be great too!

Thanks for any help you can give me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 12:03 PM

161 posts, read 410,806 times
Well, this isn't local but it's pretty cheap!

The discount website Your Outlet for Finding Shoes, Clothing, Great Sales, and More | 6pm.com has an excellent selection of rain gear and winter jackets for the entire family....at a discount! And if you order a certain amount you get free shipping, or there is flat rate $6 anywhere shipping.

They have specific pages for Mountain Hardware, The North Face, Patagonia, Columbia, and Marmot. All really reputable brands.

I am completely outfitted by the North Face and have never, ever had a problem with their gear, it's meant for climbing/outdoorsy activities and will stand up to anything. They are also an excellent company customer service wise, I've had a jacket by them for 4 years and it still looks brand new (thanks to some bleach :P) Once while camping I got my waterproof rain/wind shell hung up on a tree and ripped it, I called them and they sent me a brand new one (I had purchased mine off 6pm for 60% off!)

Old 06-21-2011, 12:04 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,561,885 times
Helly Hanson has an outlet store about 60-90 mins. North on I-5. They have a pretty heavy base in Seattle (due to all the fishing industry I'm guessing), and have good stuff. We got really nice rain jackets there for $25-50.

Shower's pass is another really popular local company. They're more for bike rain gear though.

Just make sure you get something seam sealed.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:40 PM

Thanks for the tips!

Do any of you have Patagonia gear? Or is it way too overpriced for what it is? I really like their company, from what I have read about it.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:40 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,434,579 times
Next Adventure has a ton of used gear - located on MLK. Next Adventure | Portland's Alternative Outdoor Store: New, Used, and Closeouts! Probably your best bet for toddler sized gear considering how fast the munchkins grow.

From a brand side, I'm a fan of Nike ACG gear, everything I have ACG branded has been quite dependable. There are several Nike Factory Stores around.

Columbia is the local outdoor gear company, they make decent Jackets and fleece.

I'd also check out the Made In Oregon stores - they'll carry several good local brands during the rain season.

The only problem you may have is actually finding stuff since it's now out of season.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Next Adventure has a ton of used gear - located on MLK. Next Adventure | Portland's Alternative Outdoor Store: New, Used, and Closeouts! Probably your best bet for toddler sized gear considering how fast the munchkins grow.

From a brand side, I'm a fan of Nike ACG gear, everything I have ACG branded has been quite dependable. There are several Nike Factory Stores around.

Columbia is the local outdoor gear company, they make decent Jackets and fleece.

I'd also check out the Made In Oregon stores - they'll carry several good local brands during the rain season.

The only problem you may have is actually finding stuff since it's now out of season.
Oh, I saw that Next Adventure place while driving around the city and getting "lost" (that's how I learn my way around - no maps or GPS). I'll have to go in and check it out - wasn't sure if they actually had clothes or just sports equipment.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:23 PM

758 posts, read 2,370,845 times
I'll toss in Fisherman's Marine and Outdoor, in Delta Park, Oregon City, and Tigard. They have rain gear for serious outdoor stuff. They're not fashionistas -they're practicalistas.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:39 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,434,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imphouse View Post
Oh, I saw that Next Adventure place while driving around the city and getting "lost" (that's how I learn my way around - no maps or GPS). I'll have to go in and check it out - wasn't sure if they actually had clothes or just sports equipment.
They rotate through their stock fast. If there is something you want there, grab it while it's there or it'll be gone soon. They do tend to be seasonal, so I'm not sure what they have on the floor right now in the way of rain gear.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:28 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,561,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imphouse View Post
Thanks for the tips!

Do any of you have Patagonia gear? Or is it way too overpriced for what it is? I really like their company, from what I have read about it.
I have a pair of pants. They're okay. My friend was patagonia sponsored for a bit. He liked the stuff, but they definitely are kind of upper income fashiony.
I kind of put them on an upper tier of gear.

First tier: Patagonia, Arcteryx, Cloudveil, Black Diamond, Outdoor Research (they're kind of between first and second)
Second tier: Marmot, North Face, Mountain Hardwear, Helly Hanson, Prana, Keuhl, First Ascent
Third tier:Columbia, REI, Nike,

Some of the brands are more style oriented, as in you'll pay more, but not see a ton of people wearing it. I think North Face has really been saturating the market the last few years, but they make decent stuff.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:06 PM

287 posts, read 738,648 times
No point to get rain gear RIGHT NOW, Oregon is bone dry from now till October
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland