U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 09:27 AM

196 posts, read 223,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AztoORegon View Post
. It's not where I want to be or my family. Is the end of September and october ( begining) a great time to actually enjoy a vacation and explore?
Sept/Oct is a great time to get out and see the sites, but not get a true sense of what it is like to live there. And while the cooler weather is a great reprieve from the heat, be prepared for the consistent gray, wet days. Others on here may argue this is not the case, but for someone who is used to 300+ days of complete sunshine (such as an AZ resident), this seems to be the case. Who knows, this move may be exactly what is right for you and your family, but make sure you get outside every day, even for a short walk, and as another poster noted, stock up on some rain gear and Keens!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 09:44 AM

1,246 posts, read 1,229,850 times
Quote:
True, I have friends there who have lived there all their lives and even some who moved to AZ and went back. I gather as much info as possible to make the best choice. I know for sure arizona is not where I want to be or my family. We do go up north to Flagstaff alot for the snow and much cooler weather. I actually prefer it. I have lived in snow so I'm use to it. I am more interested in the out door activities when it is time to go outside, events, enviorment and people that surround me. In arizona YOU NEVER ( hardly ever) see anyone playing outside or bonding with friends or neighboors it's all about staying in doors, minding your own. I HATE when someone asks you " how are you doing" you said great how are you, and they don't say anthing back. Its so dead end over here. It's not where I want to be or my family. Is the end of September and october ( begining) a great time to actually enjoy a vacation and explore?
Have you looked into central or eastern Oregon? The towns are smaller and there will be less opportunities in terms of jobs, but I think the climate will be a better transition. Less rain and more sun. Nothing like the lack of rain and abundant sun that you're used to, but certainly the middle ground.

Not to take over the thread with a different location, but you may check out Bend (80k) in central Oregon. It's got the outdoors in abundance (sometimes the town is overrun with it) and I'd imagine it is somewhat similar to Flagstaff as it is also at altitude (albeit much lower, but I'd imagine the latitude makes up for that one ) Also, if you're looking for a place that is more interested in outdoor activities, the Portland metro probably isn't your best bet in OR. It is more outdoorsy than any other metro I've visited, but it's still a big(ger) city so the focus is, understandably, on urban living rather than total outdoors. Also, the "drizzle" throughout much of the winter and spring will limit your outdoor opportunities especially if you're used to the dry sun. That said, tons of people in Portland love the "drizzle" and are out in it every day. I just know that when I've visited in the rainy months, a weekend of never feeling dry has gotten to me. Just my 2 cents.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:54 AM

1,246 posts, read 1,229,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH14 View Post
Having grown up in AZ and living in Portland for 4 yrs, do not underestimate the impact of the weather. After trying to tough it out for 4yrs, I finally packed it up and moved to Charlotte. Portland has a lot to offer, but I think basing your opinion on a Sept visit is a bad idea. The summers are unbeatable, but a more realistic time to vist would be anytime Nov-Mar.
How's your transition been to the NC triangle? I'm an east coaster, myself, and am interested in your impressions. I almost moved to Asheville, but ruled against it due to humidity and reactionary liberalism due to their ultra conservative surroundings. BTW I'm pretty liberal, socially, but I like the the idea that this is just the way things are done here, rather than a reaction to how things are done there.

Charlotte is a beautiful city. NC in general is one of the states down that way doing excellent.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:44 AM

218 posts, read 176,980 times
I am loving the advice! Being from Sunny California and HOT arizona I know you probably think I LOVE the sun and tanning haha but I am far from that. I go to the wetter colder climates when all possible. Now with that said I know you mention that Central oregon has drier climates. lets say it is raining in Salem all week and I want to get away for a hike or the dry area of Oregon, would that be possible? I serisouly love the rain, the rain here in arizona is hot rain, down pores and then some. I love rain but I notice the people here don't know how to drive in the rain here one sprinkle and you have a 20 car pile up. I enjoy going to Washington ( Seattle) with the rain and people actually know how to drive. I don't want to be in a town with no real jobs. I am looking in Willamette Valley or Keizer, Salem area. How far would a commute to Portland be if my job was to be located in Portland it self? I read alot about new Bridges being worked on and up and coming projects. I am just curious about drive time.

I read on another Portland blog that there is only 1 Fortune 500 company ( nike) in portland. What about Netflix? Or Intel ?

So let me wrap this up...if i really want to know what Oregon is like ( weather wise) I should go in nov/Dec. I am going to scout the areas ( towns) and see what area I admire most trust me alot of notes will be taken. We have friends that hopefully we are staying with but we are leaving the kids with family so it can just be us adults exploring our hopefully new home town.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:54 AM

600 posts, read 769,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
This is good advice.

Also, I'd add be sure to root for the Oregon Ducks and not the Oregon State Beavers.
I agree on both points here

There really is no need to look into private schools here like there would be in SoCal. The school system here struggles like very other but our schools are nowhere near as bad as they are in California

Old 07-02-2011, 10:58 AM

600 posts, read 769,864 times
Quote:
I am loving the advice! Being from Sunny California and HOT arizona I know you probably think I LOVE the sun and tanning haha but I am far from that. I go to the wetter colder climates when all possible. Now with that said I know you mention that Central oregon has drier climates. lets say it is raining in Salem all week and I want to get away for a hike or the dry area of Oregon, would that be possible? I serisouly love the rain, the rain here in arizona is hot rain, down pores and then some. I love rain but I notice the people here don't know how to drive in the rain here one sprinkle and you have a 20 car pile up. I enjoy going to Washington ( Seattle) with the rain and people actually know how to drive. I don't want to be in a town with no real jobs. I am looking in Willamette Valley or Keizer, Salem area. How far would a commute to Portland be if my job was to be located in Portland it self? I read alot about new Bridges being worked on and up and coming projects. I am just curious about drive time.

I read on another Portland blog that there is only 1 Fortune 500 company ( nike) in portland. What about Netflix? Or Intel ?

So let me wrap this up...if i really want to know what Oregon is like ( weather wise) I should go in nov/Dec. I am going to scout the areas ( towns) and see what area I admire most trust me alot of notes will be taken. We have friends that hopefully we are staying with but we are leaving the kids with family so it can just be us adults exploring our hopefully new home town.
If you have the ability to scout then, by all means - do it when the weather is the worst. So Nov - May when it is raining most of the time. The bridge work is north, on the Vancouver/Portland border. Commute time out of the city to suburbs like West Linn/Lake Oswego, Beaverton, Hillsboro, Clackamas, Gresham can be anywhere from 30 - 45 mins.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:06 PM

6,459 posts, read 7,009,251 times
Actually late September, early October usually has fantastic weather and you won't be competing with families with kids in school for places to stay. As you doubtless know weather has no guarantees but your odds are good.

Old 07-03-2011, 03:12 PM

99 posts, read 163,739 times
Quote:
I am loving the advice! Being from Sunny California and HOT arizona I know you probably think I LOVE the sun and tanning haha but I am far from that. I go to the wetter colder climates when all possible...

I serisouly love the rain
, the rain here in arizona is hot rain, down pores and then some... I enjoy going to Washington ( Seattle) with the rain and people actually know how to drive....

So let me wrap this up...if i really want to know what Oregon is like (weather wise) I should go in nov/Dec. I am going to scout the areas (towns) and see what area I admire most...
AztoORegon, I can tell from your post that you have never lived in a cloudy climate for very long. Many Southwest transplants come to Portland saying that they "love the rain," but many of them have no idea what the weather is really like in Portland. It's not the rain that you need to be concerned about, but rather the monotonous gray skies that filter out the sunlight. I see that you have been to Seattle, so I'm sure you are aware of this, but just in case you hadn't heard, the rain here in Portland is completely different than the beautiful storms you get in the Southwest or in the Midwest. It is generally more of a gray drizzle here.

Visiting during the rainy months is a great idea. I would recommend December, January, or March for consistently rainy/overcast weather. There is always a chance that you will hit a week with a few days of blue sky though. And, of course, one week of cloudy weather is sometimes refreshing, whereas six months of it can be tiresome (depending on the individual - some people on this forum would prefer to have 100% clouds all the time). So you won't really know how it affects you until you actually live here.

It doesn't hurt to be informed, though! Check out the Portland Weather Facts thread. It will give you a good idea of what to expect in terms of weather (lots of videos and other info).

Old 07-03-2011, 03:13 PM

99 posts, read 163,739 times
Quote:
Now with that said I know you mention that Central oregon has drier climates. lets say it is raining in Salem all week and I want to get away for a hike or the dry area of Oregon, would that be possible?
I will let other folks answer that. I am curious to hear about the best destinations in central and eastern Oregon as well. Does anybody know of a good day trip from Portland to a sunny place in Oregon (during the rainy winter months)? The coast is more rainy than Portland, so a trip to the coast wouldn't help. You would have to head east for at least a couple of hours, but I've never made that trip in the wintertime, and I'm not sure what the destination would be. Might be more of a 3-day weekend trip than a day trip. I've never known anyone personally that went to eastern Oregon to find sunshine.

Most of my friends are looking to escape the overcast weather by April (when spring fever sets in and they have had enough of the overcast skies). Those that can afford plane tickets will often book a vacation to a sunnier state during the months of April or May.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:03 PM

4 posts, read 4,149 times
I'm also considering a move to Portland. As to the weather - I lived in SFO for 11 years. The weather there is cold, wet, windy, foggy & miserable about 9 months of the year. How does Portland compare to that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland