Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 12:26 PM

218 posts, read 374,621 times

Advertisements

I am moving from Arizona to Oregon and I am really thinking about selling what I can ( furniture, includes beds, Tv's couches kitchen utencils) and just move what I can and take the money from the sale of items and what I have saved up and purchase all new things in oregon? I am not looking to buy top dollar items but enough to furnish my house or apartment as it is now. What I am wondering is, do you feel that Furniture is fairly resonable in Oregon? Is there any major Funiture stores or local stores I can look into? I have 2 kids so moving would be eaiser if one adult drived and the rest of us flew in. Just crossing my I's here to make sure I do what is easiest. Thank you for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 12:48 PM

161 posts, read 409,298 times
That's how my family moved to Oregon! We sold everything and drove up from San Diego and put what we did decide to save in pods. Granted, our furniture with the exception of a few pieces was 15+ years old and was falling apart and we had to budget to get new stuff (and it's looking like we won't have a TV for a while...)

I am an avid craigslister and I will tell you that you don't get a lot of money when reselling things. Depending on the condition of everything, reselling it you will take probably at least 50% depreciation of the value of the items. You would probably need to come up with most of the money that you would need to buy new things. Selling things on craigslist or a consignment store also isn't a guarantee...it takes a lot of work and effort.

However, with no sales tax in Oregon, it would save you quite a bit.

I would really look into your finances and make sure that you would have atleast $1500 in savings to make up for what you leave behind. However, if you can financially make it work, then I would definitely recommend going that route. MUCH easier!

Old 06-30-2011, 12:56 PM

Great information. Yeah We actually are avid CL people as well. I can't tell you how many times we have sold and bought things on CL. I actually bought this couch i have now for $300 with an ottoman and chair and it has surpassed my expecttations. I just don't want to drive a huge moving truck 19 hours away and spend gas and rental fees. I know I will be moving first and staying for 30 days to land a place to live and then they will come afterwards. I have to plan it accordingly as I am sure you had to as well.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:12 PM

159 posts, read 342,173 times
This might be helpful depending on how soon you're coming here. The Bassett Furniture store in Beaverton, near Washington Square, is closing. They're marking everything way down to liquidate it. It's a chance to get good quality stuff at really low prices. I have no idea if they're still delivering or if it's carry out only. Of course, there's probably no warranty except through the manufacturers.

And to answer your next question - no, I don't have any interest, financial or otherwise, in that company.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:30 PM

758 posts, read 2,362,191 times
The Bassett store is perenially "closing." It had some "store retirement" sale a couple years back.
If Gordon Brothers is running the sale - they did GI Joes, Ultimate Electronics, Circuit City, and Linens 'n Things - there will be few deals. The first thing the liquidators do is print new pricetags, from which they calculate markdowns. Timing is everything.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:06 PM

Yeah I recall when Ultimate Electronics closed here they had huge sales but in the end they had BRAND NEW washer and dryers for $75 that itself was a great price. When i sold my house last year we sold all of our big ticket items, Fridge, Washer dryer. All the houses that I find on CL most of them say No fridge, washer dryer not included. I guess I can go on CL and find these if they are not included. I really appreciate everyones input it is really guiding me on what to do.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:18 PM

9,858 posts, read 11,869,781 times
A store liquidation aside, buying new furniture will be a very daunting experience. On a move from AZ I would rent the Penske. On a move from NYC I would (and did) sell everything in NY but buy used stuff from CL in PDX. I would not buy a used mattress but I would buy a used bedroom set. I wouldn't buy used cutlery but I would buy used appliances and dining room furniture. YMMV.

H

Old 06-30-2011, 03:53 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,311,514 times
My neighbor just had to be moved recently into an assisted care home. Her brother and sister-in-law had an apartment to sell her stuff sale last weekend. They sold some wonderful things for next to nothing; they just wanted to get rid of it and give her some cash.

Like many of these types of sales, they did not advertise in any media, instead they just put up signs on telephone poles and people came. Once you are here, it may be worth your while to just drive around a neighborhood looking for such signs. You can get some real bargains.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:48 PM

10,987 posts, read 20,458,386 times
Estate sales in Portland metro often have treasures. Don't overlook places like William Temple House for furniture. Then again, look at IKEA. They have a large store near the airport.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:27 PM

141 posts, read 398,987 times
We recently moved across the country to the Pacific Northwest. I used ABF, which is like the POD service, except way more affordable. They deliver a container to you, you fill it up, then they pick it up and move it to your new destination. At first the container doesn't look too big, but you'd be amazed what I was able to pack in there! It cost me $1200 to move everything from GA to OR, which is pretty good if you ask me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland