Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2011, 08:35 PM

55 posts, read 161,297 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

An old friend from high school who's never been to the West Coast is coming to visit me at the end of the month for a super quick trip. We only have one day (sadly) to spend in Oregon. I live in Tacoma, so part of this day will involve 4 hours (roundtrip commuting to Portland and back). We're planning to head to Portland for part (most) of the day and squeeze in an hour or two at Cannon Beach (It's important for me to show her the Pacific Ocean since she's never seen it.). I'm looking for suggestions on things to show my friend in the city in approximately 6-7 hours.

A bit of random info on my friend (so I can paint for you a clearer picture of who she is and perhaps this could lead to better suggests on how to entertain her):
  • not athletic (hiking, kayaking, etc is out of the question)
  • loves coffee and beer and bars
  • loves alternative music
  • will eat anything and will try new things without reservation (which, coming from the South, there will be a whole new world of food waiting for her up here)
  • enjoys an off-sense of humor and sarcasm

I can give more info if needed.

Ideas of things that I had in mind (these, of course, are not set in stone):
  • Swing by Stumptown if for nothing else but to grab coffee to go
  • Voodoo
  • Multnomah Falls (Yes, I realize this would zap at least an hour of our time, but I'm pretty sure she's never seen a waterfall like this coming from Memphis.)
  • maaaaybe Powell's (She likes to read, but then again, if she's not interested in buying books, maybe I'll scratch this off the list, since we won't really have time to stay and chill there.)
  • ????

As for the beach, I was just going to swing by Astoria, take a picture in front of the Goonies house, and then drop by Cannon Beach to see the ocean and Haystack. I know of the distance and time involved to do this, but again, I feel it's important.

The other final question is should I do the beach second so that the area and water have time to warm up? Part of me says yes, but part of me feels like we could get more out of Portland by spending time in the city after going to the beach.

Any suggestions or modifications to my plan are most welcome. Much thanks and appreciation in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 10:09 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,091,477 times
Actually, I'd probably do the beach first. The water won't be warming up. There's more to do in Portland later into the evening, so I'd save it for last. Be sure and hit some food carts in Portland.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Actually, I'd probably do the beach first. The water won't be warming up. There's more to do in Portland later into the evening, so I'd save it for last.
That's a good point. Thanks.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:56 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,440,384 times
Since it sounds like you only want to check out the beach briefly and see Astoria, I'd say head to the coast first as well. Just cut off from I-5 in Longview, goto Astoria, drive down to Cannon Beach for a walk along the beach and than head to Portland on 26. That way you'll have a full afternoon/evening to check stuff out in Portland and a fairly easy drive back later in the day on I-5 rather than the drive back from the coast.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:51 AM

63 posts, read 115,571 times
Make sure you leave early, I would head to the beach first, also, and as Enrico said, the Pacific doesn't warm up. Astoria is a great little town, probably eat breakfast there, bet you'll find something funky for her. On the way down 101 to Cannon Beach, keep in mind that the road has a slow speed limit and the end of July the beach traffic will be horrid, especially from Seaside south. Keep an eye out for the signs that say "Tsunami Warning" with a picture of a guy clambering up a hill with a wave coming at him. It's not much, but for someone from the interior who's never been to the Pacific it could be interesting.

It's been 15 years since I lived in Portland, get up there quite often, but don't know many places to eat the regional fare that might be interesting. But, microbrews...someone on here should have a good suggestion for a top notch microbrew.

Will this be on the weekend? For some interesting artsy/crafty people and culture...Saturday Market on Saturday and Sunday. Should be some live music playing, too. You could either eat there, or catch one of the foodcarts mentioned on the way back toward downtown.

I'd take her to Multnomah Falls, unless it's getting too late. If she likes old 80's movies (you mentioned the Goonie house) and you go to the Falls, you might consider Crown Point. A scene or two from Short Circuit was filmed there, and it's a beautiful view of the Columbia. The road to get up there is a little slow, but it ends right at the Falls.

Off sense of humor. Around 4th and Burnside ( a couple blocks from Saturday Market and not far from VooDoo), if you turn north up fourth into China Town the Hung Far Low sign should still be there. Portland icon and source of amusement for decades. Which other city would have a massive sign with such a suggestive name?

Old 07-08-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoNative View Post
Make sure you leave early, I would head to the beach first, also, and as Enrico said, the Pacific doesn't warm up. Astoria is a great little town, probably eat breakfast there, bet you'll find something funky for her. On the way down 101 to Cannon Beach, keep in mind that the road has a slow speed limit and the end of July the beach traffic will be horrid, especially from Seaside south. Keep an eye out for the signs that say "Tsunami Warning" with a picture of a guy clambering up a hill with a wave coming at him. It's not much, but for someone from the interior who's never been to the Pacific it could be interesting.

It's been 15 years since I lived in Portland, get up there quite often, but don't know many places to eat the regional fare that might be interesting. But, microbrews...someone on here should have a good suggestion for a top notch microbrew.

Will this be on the weekend? For some interesting artsy/crafty people and culture...Saturday Market on Saturday and Sunday. Should be some live music playing, too. You could either eat there, or catch one of the foodcarts mentioned on the way back toward downtown.

I'd take her to Multnomah Falls, unless it's getting too late. If she likes old 80's movies (you mentioned the Goonie house) and you go to the Falls, you might consider Crown Point. A scene or two from Short Circuit was filmed there, and it's a beautiful view of the Columbia. The road to get up there is a little slow, but it ends right at the Falls.

Off sense of humor. Around 4th and Burnside ( a couple blocks from Saturday Market and not far from VooDoo), if you turn north up fourth into China Town the Hung Far Low sign should still be there. Portland icon and source of amusement for decades. Which other city would have a massive sign with such a suggestive name?
Thank you very much for the suggestions! This will either be on a Thursday or Friday, so sadly we'd miss the Saturday market (but I've been before, and it's quite nice!). We'll definitely check out the Hung Far Low sign, thanks! Oh, and the Keep Portland Weird slogan near Voodoo--completely forgot about that.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:31 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,999,361 times
Some random ideas:

- pick up a copy of the Portland Mercury - it fits your friend's sense of humor and musical tastes. Look in there for something interesting at the last minute.

- have a beer and see what band is playing at the Doug Fir Lounge - Doug Fir Lounge - Portland, Oregon

- second the idea of eating at food carts.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:53 PM

8 posts, read 9,420 times
This may seem like a big time suck, but I'll throw it out there anyway. If she likes beer & movies, you may want to check out the Bagdad Pub & Theater on Hawthorne (like 36th and Hawthorne, I think). They show 2nd run movies and old movies (coincidentally, they are showing The Goonies next week!) and it's the kind of theater where you can buy yourself a beer to enjoy during the movie. The movies cost $3.00, the beers a like $4.00 a pint (and it's all McMenamins brew -- some great options there), and you could plan to see a shorter movie (e.g. they are showing Pink Floyd's The Wall this weekend -- I think that movie clocks in around 1.5 hours) or even just watch a movie for a beer's duration -- at $3.00 for admission, it's still a great deal! Plus the theater is absolutely stunning -- it was built in 1927 and is super beautiful.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:55 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,487,799 times
If you go to Cannon Beach, here's a suggestion- go to Ecola State Park at the north end of town. From there go to Indian beach at the end. Hike 1/2 mile up the Cascade Head trail along the cliff. Awesome views of the coast, Haystack Rock, Terrible Tillie... One of the 3 best viewing areas on the Oregon coast.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:27 AM

63 posts, read 115,571 times
I'm going to second the Bagdad (37th & Hawthorne) One of the coolest old buildings, good beer, great gourmet pizza. And if you or your friend has ever seen What the Bleep, the opening and closing scenes were filmed there, see if you can find the spots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland