Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2011, 10:38 PM

161 posts, read 410,892 times

Advertisements

I need to start my hiking and camping book collection for a new city. I am going to Powell's tomorrow to rummage and need some ideas!

In SD I had Afoot and Afield (they do have one for PDX too, yay!), 60 hikes within 60 miles, and The Best in Tent Camping (which I LOVED - it had all the contact info, prices, regulations, etc for camping!)

I am looking for something that has beyond the obvious hikes - Forest Park, Multomah Falls, etc. And for camping I would love to get some good ideas for Mt Hood and along the Gorge...it's so gorgeous there! I prefer to be somewhere without RV Hookups and loud families with kids. I like the wilderness. I don't mind peeing in bushes.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 11:47 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,522,258 times
I like 100 Hikes in Northwest Oregon by William Sullivan. It covers the best hikes within about an hour and a half of Portland except for the coast. Lots of hikes at Mt. St. Helens, The Columbia Gorge, Mt Hood, and areas closer to Portland. The guide has good descriptions of each trail, alternate routes, easy to follow maps, and lists of places to camp.

There's also additional guides in this series for the coast, Central Oregon, Southern Oregon, and Eastern Oregon.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:33 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,438,992 times
Since you're already going to Powell's you'll find about 40 different books on the subject. Be sure to get newer editions, and even then check the trails out online because landslides and treacherous conditions can close trails for long periods of time.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:13 PM

Oh man. I got 5 books today and I wanted to get about 3 others....I cannot get over how great that place is.

I made sure that everything was a brand new edition. I got an awesome little book about hiking in the Gorge on sale and I am so excited to hopefully go out tomorrow! This Saturday we are also (hopefully) picking up a foster dog from the Oregon Dog Rescue so we will be able to being a pooch on walks with us and I got 3 other hiking books that specified if the trails were dog friendly or not.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:50 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,143,960 times
Was that your first time at Powell's? For a reader it is paradise.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:05 AM

No I've been there before (and years aho, when my brother lived up here).

I'm just an ubernerd and really enjoy going into bookstores. I could spend hours just happily browsing. Especially if it's on subjects that I like (the real question is, what don't I like to read...)

Old 07-13-2011, 09:30 AM

378 posts, read 974,582 times
I'd be remiss if I didn't mention "Pokin in the Gorge" - a literary masterpiece... a bit NSFW but hilarious and actually a pretty cool guidebook. It is literally about great places for... ahem...adult situations to occur around the gorge. Just don't google it at work - you've been warned.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwilsonbsee View Post
I'd be remiss if I didn't mention "Pokin in the Gorge" - a literary masterpiece... a bit NSFW but hilarious and actually a pretty cool guidebook. It is literally about great places for... ahem...adult situations to occur around the gorge. Just don't google it at work - you've been warned.

OMG LOL I want that book! That is too funny. We had a similar one in San Diego just for all of the amusement parks. That person has to have made thousands and thousands of dollars off of that idea, brilliant!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: