Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 07:55 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,137,874 times

Advertisements

Your biggest problem is, realistically, anywhere you're near a MAX station, crime is going to go up. You've got people in the area, loitering, and who don't necessarily live there. That can be a recipe for crime.

The other problem is, in lower cost housing with month to month rentals, you're going to find more of the criminal element, and higher crime rates. Or perhaps to be more accurate, you're liable to find more of the criminal element who will knock you over the head to steal your purse, or break into your house/car to steal your belongings. In the upper class neighborhoods, you'll find the criminal element who will steal your 401K fund.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 08:07 PM

986 posts, read 2,506,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticalDream View Post
Whoever says Rockwood is a good neighborhood is either naive, mentally-impaired or not from around here. A majority of the crimes in the Portland area happen on the outer NE and SE sides and in the Rockwood area. Portland/Gresham's crimes and bad areas are very deceptive. Among all the normal looking people there will be gangs and other unsavory types frequenting the areas. Rockwood is well known for drive-by shootings, robberies and murders. THat's not to say they happen every minute or that you will experience this , but statistically your chances go up quite a bit. There are so many better places to live. Have you considered East Gresham? Once you get in the 200 number streets the areas get quite a bit better.

My advice if you need to live in Rockwood is stay away from apartment complexes and stay in neighborhoods were there is a community and people keep an eye on each other. Carry a concealed handgun with you. In Oregon these permits are not hard to get and it will give you an added sense of security. Believe me, in tough neighborhoods people look at you and judge you by how secure you feel. It's almost like most thugs know when a person is best to avoid. Never walk alone during the day and never walk around the area at night.

I just don't see how anyone who isn't a felon, illegal immigrant or living in government subsidized housing would want to live near 162nd and Burnside. Why not move to 82nd and Duke (aka Felony Flats). Its a cheaper area, but lacks all the drive-by shootings and drug wars they have in Rockwood.
I get the impression that all the plant-greenery up there is disguising shabbiness that's not obvious to casual observers. Superficially, the whole Portland area looks a lot "cleaner" than most cities in the CA Central Valley. I am usually good at telling rotten areas from vehicles on the street but I guess that's no sure sign.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:57 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,431,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Your biggest problem is, realistically, anywhere you're near a MAX station, crime is going to go up. You've got people in the area, loitering, and who don't necessarily live there. That can be a recipe for crime.

The other problem is, in lower cost housing with month to month rentals, you're going to find more of the criminal element, and higher crime rates. Or perhaps to be more accurate, you're liable to find more of the criminal element who will knock you over the head to steal your purse, or break into your house/car to steal your belongings. In the upper class neighborhoods, you'll find the criminal element who will steal your 401K fund.
Yeah, I am not in an upper class neighborhood but I did have my 401k stolen.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:42 PM

1 posts, read 3,581 times
Yikes, we are looking to relocated from Colorado and found a lovely home in Gresham ... south of the city on the map. I do not know how to be diplomatic about it but we are leaving Colorado because our taxes, insurance and cost of living have doubled and tripled to cover the costs of the free support of the hispanic infiltration. Is Gresham any better? I am all for finding a better quality of life and embracing it with gratitude but it seems instead people are abusing the system, sucking our resources dry and bringing our communities down to a level they have never been before. So ... south of Gresham, towards the greener belts and newer estates ... any good?

Old 12-29-2011, 03:18 PM

892 posts, read 1,592,249 times
Are you talking more Happy Valley than Gresham? Happy Valley is a pretty newly built up area so it has been hit hard by the housing boom and bust. That's all I really know about it. Oh, and traffic can be a bear because the infrastructure to and from did not keep up with the increase in housing.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:19 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,431,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOA747 View Post
Yikes, we are looking to relocated from Colorado and found a lovely home in Gresham ... south of the city on the map. I do not know how to be diplomatic about it but we are leaving Colorado because our taxes, insurance and cost of living have doubled and tripled to cover the costs of the free support of the hispanic infiltration. Is Gresham any better? I am all for finding a better quality of life and embracing it with gratitude but it seems instead people are abusing the system, sucking our resources dry and bringing our communities down to a level they have never been before. So ... south of Gresham, towards the greener belts and newer estates ... any good?
I believe that is also the case in Oregon but not for the reasons you give. I can certainly see it in my taxes, insurance and COL particularly rent and food costs. It's probably happening everywhere to some extent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland