Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2011, 12:08 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,627,156 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am thinking of planning a trip to Portland for sometime next year (spring or summer.) Can you give me some ideas of how I could spend my time, places to see or do neighborhoods to visit, place to stay etc.

A bit about myself and intrerests..

I am year old male who doesn't drive (I get around by bus.) I enjoy going to see live music (indie, rock, hard rock, new wave, adult alternative.) I enjoy trying different places to eat, quirky art galleries, zoos, shopping and simply just exploring. I am also a gay (not much into bars, but am willing to visit some.)

Also what would be an ideal place for me to stay (centrally or in one of the suggested neighborhoods)?

Also how is public transportation? Does it run pretty late?

Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 07:11 PM

22 posts, read 35,336 times
For visitors to do it right, there's not much choice other than staying downtown. Pearl District and the surrounding neighborhoods have numerous somewhat trendy boutique hotels. You can start here:
Pearl District Neighborhood Portland Oregon
...and check it out, as well as the neighboring areas.

Or, I can recommend the Jupiter Hotel across the river on the Southeast side of town, which is next door to the Doug Fir (music venue) and has quirky themed rooms...and it's a quick bus ride into downtown for day sightseeing.

In the summertime, the Alberta Arts District has an event called Last Thursday, held on the last Thursday each month, where the local galleries stay open late and it's basically a street fair atmosphere centered around their art & gallery scene.

You mentioned the zoo, which Portland has (the Oregon Zoo), and in the summertime there is a concert series - nothing too edgy, pretty mainstream acts. The zoo itself is OK - I've seen better, but it's not depressing like some I have visited. There are also numerous live music venues concentrated downtown, and scattered about the city. Your best bet would be to check out the online copies of Willamette Week and the Portland Mercury, a week or 2 before you arrive, for upcoming events.

Other sights / places to consider: Saturday market (which is open Sat and Sunday most of the year); Powell's books; Counter-Media books (near Powell's, for more alternative books & magazines etc); Thai Peacock for Thai food (also near Powell's - a friend from Thailand said it's the best Thai he's had in the USA); Masu for sushi; The Roxy for good greasy late-night breakfast; maybe take a tour of Portland's Shanghai Tunnels; wander around Old Town and our tiny Chinatown during the day (it can get kinda sketchy at night but still generally OK); not sure what you like to shop for but NW 23rd Ave has some trendy / indie boutiques, as does the Pearl District... The Hawthorne District has some good shopping opportunities as well.

Public transit varies by where you are and where you want to go - check trimet.org for schedules and routes. Your trip from the airport to downtown is pretty straight-forward on the light rail MAX system and takes about an hour +/-. If you're staying downtown, there is a large area called the fareless square where public transit is free (MAX light rail and street car - buses used to be free there as well but I'm not sure if they still are - trimet could tell you). Frequency of service is less often later at night - some routes stop running and others run very infrequently. Taxi drivers here don't respond well to be hailed, but you can sometimes catch one that way...otherwise program either Yellow Cab or Radio Cab #'s in your cell phone before you get here, so you have it when you need it.

Old 07-16-2011, 04:46 AM

Thank you so much!

Old 07-17-2011, 09:03 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,137,874 times
Another option of places to stay are one of McMenamin's two hotels in the downtown area. The Crystal Hotel is new and right downtown, and more expensive. The White Eagle is smaller and on the east side, industrial area, but on a MAX line. It's cheap. They have "bunk" rooms as low as $40.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Another option of places to stay are one of McMenamin's two hotels in the downtown area. The Crystal Hotel is new and right downtown, and more expensive. The White Eagle is smaller and on the east side, industrial area, but on a MAX line. It's cheap. They have "bunk" rooms as low as $40.
Hmmmm, that's a good idea! Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland