U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-27-2011, 06:55 PM

334 posts, read 234,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godhead View Post
Dunkin' Donuts raises millions, helps fund West Coast expansion plans
Business & Technology | Dunkin' Donuts raises millions, helps fund West Coast expansion plans | Seattle Times Newspaper

Dan Geiman, research director at McAdams Wright Ragen in Seattle, said it's hard to know whether Dunkin' will play well in the West. "It's a concept with tremendous loyalty," he said. "The lines in Boston are long, and the stores are jammed, but it's hard to say how it will catch on in the West."
that's what I'm talking about !!

was just reading yesterday about their IPO plans. Very exciting, many people would be happy to have them here. I don't think it will make us any less happy about the local stuff!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
It's already failed in Portland. Unless they bring it back with a new name I don't see why this question is even being brought up.
Dunkin donuts is huge, it will not fail. They are going public.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:14 PM

13,596 posts, read 10,666,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hose111 View Post
Dunkin donuts is huge, it will not fail. They are going public.

Whatever. There are a lot of new transplantees since DD closed some years ago. Maybe they will be successful. I just wonder why according to the article they sound like they are treating this as a new business that has never been tried here before.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:19 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,314,846 times
Quote:
Dunkin donuts is huge, it will not fail.
So was Krispy Kreme. Guess what closed half it's stores in the PDX and Seattle within two years and is barely keeping the remainder open?

Old 07-27-2011, 09:42 PM

6,415 posts, read 5,705,143 times
Quote:
that's what I'm talking about !!

was just reading yesterday about their IPO plans. Very exciting, many people would be happy to have them here. I don't think it will make us any less happy about the local stuff!
Yeah, 'cause there's nothing Portland likes better than a corporate chain.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:07 PM

638 posts, read 876,747 times
I LOVE In and Out Burger... that our first stop every time when we get out of the airport in Phoenix!

I think that In and Out had a golden opportunity to move up into Oregon a few years ago, but now that Five Guys has invaded instead, the window of opportunity has slammed shut.

While I appreciate the other suggestions and the desire to keep it local, In and Out is different. They have a very basic menu and they do everything well and they make it fresh (but fast) when you order it. Plus they are unique in how they facilitate "dashboard dining" for those of you who have nothing else to do while sitting on the metered on ramps.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
So was Krispy Kreme. Guess what closed half it's stores in the PDX and Seattle within two years and is barely keeping the remainder open?
no man, kk failed everywhere. Most cities had most their kk closed down. Dont really know why, I love it. I was driving by the kk on 213 today and was thinking how much I love their donuts.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:21 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,301,348 times
Probably didn't have anything to do with the million dollar franchising fees........

Old 07-28-2011, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cactus Leaguer View Post
I LOVE In and Out Burger... that our first stop every time when we get out of the airport in Phoenix!

I think that In and Out had a golden opportunity to move up into Oregon a few years ago, but now that Five Guys has invaded instead, the window of opportunity has slammed shut.

While I appreciate the other suggestions and the desire to keep it local, In and Out is different. They have a very basic menu and they do everything well and they make it fresh (but fast) when you order it. Plus they are unique in how they facilitate "dashboard dining" for those of you who have nothing else to do while sitting on the metered on ramps.
yea...great post! I know what you mean about that first stop. But I don'tt think five guys is the issue. For instance, they are opening up in Dallas, and my guess is there are Five Guys there. The thing for me is I feel it would go well in this area.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:27 AM

245 posts, read 353,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cactus Leaguer View Post

Two things. One, Five Guys is extremely overrated and frankly, doesn't hold the same mythical appeal as In n out. Also, the two chains co-exist in Phoenix with little problem (I imagine it'd be much the same in PDX).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland