Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 11:05 PM

59 posts, read 149,792 times

Advertisements

For a while, I've been planning a crazy move to Seattle, but I'm considering the possibility of Portland instead.

I heard that Portland has lower crime, cheaper rent, and better public transportation. Is this true?

And, would it be easier for me to get a job in Portland, than in Seattle? As a lowly entry-level wage-slave, that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 11:10 AM

80 posts, read 219,028 times
I don't know about lower crime because Portland is notorious for petty nonviolent crimes like theft. But it certainly has better public transit (for now) and cheaper rent. Portland's job market is awful. You'd be I'll advised to move here without securing a job first. Yes, even the entry-level-low-wage slave ones. The are COUNTLESS Seattle vs Portland threads on the site. You should read through them.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:06 PM

198 posts, read 400,098 times
Here's a link to Sperlings. Not sure how current or if the data has been massaged since it's more of an entertainment site. Crime looks to be the same. Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Surprised me, since Seattle is larger. Both are fairly safe. Not sure about recent activity in Seattle. This year has seen an increase in gang related violent activity in Portland. We haven't had much of that for quite a few years. Hopefully that will not continue. Seems to be related to economics best guess.

You can see on realtor.com the difference in home values. Not rent, but you see the difference. Somewhat more in Seattle. Areas always vary, but you might not like the lower rent sections of either. Portland would be lower rent costs.

I would be hard pressed to imagine someone living on "slave wages" alone in either city. Roomates would work better.

Good luck, hope it helps.

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2011 at 04:29 AM..

Old 07-14-2011, 01:21 PM

287 posts, read 738,864 times
Why is it "a crazy move" to Seattle?

Old 07-14-2011, 06:02 PM

My intent was to get a roommate, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanlover85 View Post
You'd be I'll advised to move here without securing a job first. Yes, even the entry-level-low-wage slave ones.
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Or3g0n View Post
Why is it "a crazy move" to Seattle?
Because I am nineteen, currently unemployed, without even a driver's license yet -- will get one before leaving, of course -- and I have not been outside the San Fernando Valley since I was like nine years old, and I have not been anywhere except college without my parents. But mostly, calling it a "crazy move" is more like my own self-deprecating humor.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:46 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Entry-level-low-wage slave jobs in Portland are the most difficult to come by due to the tremendous amount of competition for them. You would probably have better luck with that in Seattle.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:21 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,928,784 times
Nationally the unemployment rate for 16 - 21 year olds is over 40%. If its better in Seattle than Portland the difference would likely be under 1%. Negligible. Still, I have to think that a teen who can use 'self-deprecating' in a sentence has a more than even chance of beating the odds in either city. But please, forget, completely remove, the idea of car ownership from your short term itinerary. You would be an assigned risk driver and likely ineligible for coverage on your parents policy as you would be driving in another state. Your measly wages would be swallowed whole by the costs inherent in being an inexperienced driver... ... don't do it. Don't even get the license, that will only add temptation to it. Get a bicycle and learn to ride it and visit Portland. If you decide to stay apply for an Oregon State ID Card. I'm biased, but I think its the better choice. FWIW.

H

Old 07-15-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Nationally the unemployment rate for 16 - 21 year olds is over 40%. If its better in Seattle than Portland the difference would likely be under 1%. Negligible. Still, I have to think that a teen who can use 'self-deprecating' in a sentence has a more than even chance of beating the odds in either city. But please, forget, completely remove, the idea of car ownership from your short term itinerary. You would be an assigned risk driver and likely ineligible for coverage on your parents policy as you would be driving in another state. Your measly wages would be swallowed whole by the costs inherent in being an inexperienced driver... ... don't do it. Don't even get the license, that will only add temptation to it. Get a bicycle and learn to ride it and visit Portland. If you decide to stay apply for an Oregon State ID Card. I'm biased, but I think its the better choice. FWIW.

H
I was planning on possibly ditching the car when I get up there and either using a bike or public transportation. Of course, I'd need to learn to ride a bike first.

And, I actually kinda had to look up how to spell "deprecating." I got most of it -- I just thought it was spelled depricating.

Thanks.

Old 07-15-2011, 02:42 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,590,031 times
everything except the getting a job part would be true. Seattle has a better job market and more robust economy in general.

Old 07-15-2011, 04:30 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,928,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
everything except the getting a job part would be true. Seattle has a better job market and more robust economy in general.
What does that mean in real world terms? I'm serious, exactly how does Seattle's 'better' job market appear superior to a real human being with average intellectual attainment, credit history, talent, etc. Exactly how many more jobs and in which job classifications? Surely this information is quantified? More to the point, for a non-Seattelite, how does the better job market apply? Do we have some recent anecdotal evidence here or are we just repeating talking points that haven't been true for 10 years. Montana, Wyoming, North and South Dakota all have lower unemployment than Portland so why do we stay here in Portland? In fact, I just checked, and Portland's unemployment and Seattle's are just about identical but Portlands is falling, Seattle's is not. Even more to the point, Seattle's employers are no more or less likely to hire someone not presently working than Portland's. Personally, I just don't think there is enough difference between the two places in this one area to make a buying decision.

H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland