Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 03:05 AM

23 posts, read 157,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Girl View Post
Keep in mind that there a lot of Bush lovers and strong Republicans in the Portland areas as well! It's not all "Bush haters" here, sorry to disapoint.
It is a significant majority of Bush haters though. Being a fellow West Linn resident I can see where you're coming from. Certainly there are a lot of republicans in our town, but even West Linn is more left-leaning than most of the nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 09:35 AM

143 posts, read 809,826 times
I agree with NatureGirl. Born and raised here, spent several years on the East Coast due to career obligations, but were very happy to return. There are many liberal people here, but there are also many conservatives.

Old 08-18-2007, 11:37 AM

1 posts, read 3,305 times
Cool Not my impression

Wow .. this native Californian is going crazy here. The slow moving cars and self serving minds of Oregonians is making me want to jump off one of the bridges. A GAY PARADE ON FATHERS DAY! Watch for the flood people. I have been here 5 years and I have to say it SUCKS!

There is nothing to do, the weather sucks, if you go anywhere take your blood pressure med with you because people here do not know how to drive. Mayor Potter is a joke! They give Drivers Licenses to ILLEGALS! You get maybe 2 months of sun then painful cold and rain the rest. People dont congregate like in Cali- Big BBQ's and having people over doesnt happen. People keep to themselves. They dont let you in. They dont know how to be a friend. Its weird. First chance I get. Im going home.

BTW- Im white with tatoos you would think I would fit perfecty. NOPE Even the freaks are lame. Their fakes. They look like they know alternative music but they dont. WANNABEES. Although the upside is that there really is no threat. Its a safe place to live. Thats the only reason Im still here.. for my kids. The first Liberal teacher we run across will probably be the last straw.

Look for the conservatives thats the Californians except the few that came here to find acceptance at Gaywad capitol.

Old 08-18-2007, 02:37 PM

66 posts, read 254,564 times
Why do Californians always act surprised about the weather here? Yes, it rains a lot! It's a fact. Don't move here if you can't handle grey skies and squeaky shoes.

Just because you have tattoos doesn't make you "fit perfectly" or are friendship-worthy. Maybe the "freaks" don't appreciate your homophobia and your negative vibe.

"They look like they know alternative music but they dont. WANNABEES."

Ha! Don't be a music snob.

Old 08-18-2007, 03:08 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,628,121 times
Well, when you decide which one to jump from please let us know.

Old 08-18-2007, 08:11 PM

35 posts, read 113,300 times
Default Left Portland

I have to agree with some of the previous posts. I lived in Portland for almost 7 years. Yes, it's gorgeous, and I love all the organic foodstores, dedication to the environment, beautiful scenery, and clean streets. But the people ARE a bit weird and it seems if you are inclined in any way to dress up for a night out or have any right-wing leanings politically, Portlanders tend to look down on you. It's such a bizarre little town sometimes. So much beauty but so called"open mindedness" but not really open-minded at all. And NOT diverse. There's really only one type of person who truly fits in with the city- bicycle loving, uber-natural, outdoor fanatic who practices yoga, says "right on" after any kind of statement, tattooed and pierced, and is pretty passive aggressive and avoids any type of confrontation.
O yeah- and the drivers are REALLLYY slow and never go when the lights turn green. And don't get me started on the men in that town-- talk about shy and timid- sheesh!

Old 08-18-2007, 08:18 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,628,121 times
And how long exactly has it been since you left? If it has been more than a year or so I think you'd be shocked at what Portland's like now. It's become way more of a big city. It's hardly a "town" anymore and it's getting more and more diverse. I've lived here since fall of '99 and it's like night and day as compared to when I first moved here.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:39 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,156,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
Ha, I'm with you guys. Big Evil Glowing Orb in the sky hurts our eyes, it does!
good one, gollum...

Old 08-19-2007, 07:42 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,156,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedFire View Post
Wow .. this native Californian is going crazy here. The slow moving cars and self serving minds of Oregonians is making me want to jump off one of the bridges. A GAY PARADE ON FATHERS DAY! Watch for the flood people. I have been here 5 years and I have to say it SUCKS!

There is nothing to do, the weather sucks, if you go anywhere take your blood pressure med with you because people here do not know how to drive. Mayor Potter is a joke! They give Drivers Licenses to ILLEGALS! You get maybe 2 months of sun then painful cold and rain the rest. People dont congregate like in Cali- Big BBQ's and having people over doesnt happen. People keep to themselves. They dont let you in. They dont know how to be a friend. Its weird. First chance I get. Im going home.

BTW- Im white with tatoos you would think I would fit perfecty. NOPE Even the freaks are lame. Their fakes. They look like they know alternative music but they dont. WANNABEES. Although the upside is that there really is no threat. Its a safe place to live. Thats the only reason Im still here.. for my kids. The first Liberal teacher we run across will probably be the last straw.

Look for the conservatives thats the Californians except the few that came here to find acceptance at Gaywad capitol.
i hope you leave before i get there...

Old 08-19-2007, 09:25 AM

2,885 posts, read 1,983,376 times
Just wondering, Twisted, why you came to Portland? I'm sure you must have done your homework; I am planning to relocate there and I tell my conservative friends, "you would not like it." I have found on my visits the people very friendly and open and willing to sit down and chew the fat.

And, Nursey, yes, there are "weird" people but not "the" people just "some" people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland