Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 11:10 PM

405 posts, read 1,280,088 times

Advertisements

+1 to Smiled.. I'm not a petite female, but a fairly muscular and in-shape guy and I carry a firearm. Better to have one and not need one, than need one and not have one.. If OmShanti doesn't like guns nobody should try to force her too. Bear spray is a very good weapon. However, bear spray can be taken from you too, just like a gun.. So, keep that in mind and be a bit vigilant when you are out in the bush.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 09:54 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,447,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiled View Post
If I were a lone petite female, I might consider carrying a firearm in the more remote places in the near-Portland mountains. I don't carry one personally, but I do stay aware of my surroundings. Though bear spray might have the same effect.

This is very good advice. For men and women. Especially the "stay aware of my surroundings" comment.
A lot of weird stuff goes on in the woods around Portland.
You can drive 30 miles out of Estacada and you might as well be 500 miles from anywhere.
No services, facilities, law enforcement, phone service, etc.

This can attract a strange segment of society.
You never know who you are going to meet, what they are up there doing, or how stable they are.

One of my favorite things to do is to get out my ranger topo maps, my Delorme Atlas, and hit the backroads. It's amazing what you come across in the middle of nowhere. I have run across people "just drivin' around" who just took a road with no clue to where it goes, who are totally lost and out of gas.
It's a long hike back to the highway. Especially if you don't know where the highway is.
Even if you have a GPS, it may be inaccurate.
Remember those people from the Bay Area that got lost several years ago in southern Oregon?

If you are planning a day trip to someplace or area that isn't on the well beaten path, please at least take a bucket full of common sense, a map, first aid kit, some food and water, and make sure your vehicle is in good running condition.

If your vehicle breaks down or you get hurt 30 miles up some remote logging road, you will be the one responsible for getting yourself out of it.

Remember, your cell phone won't work in some deep river canyon at 7pm when you need help because you have a flat tire or a broken fan belt.

And don't count on any help from any bigfoots. They really don't care.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 07-27-2011 at 10:06 AM..

Old 07-27-2011, 11:28 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,508,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShanti View Post
I carry a whistle which is VERY loud and makes a few different sounds, and I think that would do the trick. Best purchase that I have ever made at REI. And, unlike the idiot in 127 hours, it's attached to my Camelbak chest strap (which always goes with me) so I will never be without it. I also have a backup in my backpack.

I will never carry a gun. I don't have enough experience to even make it useful (I'm the type of person that more likely to shoot myself then an attacker...). I just don't believe in using guns unless you are out in the wilderness and absolutely need them for protection.
Having a whistle is a good idea for hiking alone... Other than that, I wouldn't worry about carrying a gun. Just be careful and prepared if you plan on going into the more remote areas of the Gorge. The Washington side is a little less crowded and hence feels a little more remote if you head further up into the mountains. The Oregon side for the most part is pretty crowded throughout the summer at most trails.

There's a lot of good dayhikes in the Gorge to check out like the Oneota Gorge/Horsetail Falls/Ponytail Falls loop(there's a cool part where you hike under a waterfall), Dog Mountain(which is a strenous hike and crowded but has one of the most spectacular views in the Gorge), Table Mountain on the Washington side and even further out stuff on the drier side like the McCall Preserve. Eagle Creek is a popular longer trail that passes by six waterfalls including a few good swimming holes. It's crowded at the beginning of the canyon but if you hike all the way to Tunnel Falls you'll see less hikers, although a lot of people turn the trip in to a small backpacking trip and there's options to hike higher up to the Benson Plateau high above, and further up towards Wahtum Lake towards Mt. Hood.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:49 PM

161 posts, read 410,678 times
Mike, I can't agree with you more.

My sister thinks that I'm ridiculous, but in the back of my car I have a full size spare tire, all of the fluids that I'd ever need, a charged portable battery charger, an extra blanket and towel, some non-perishable snacks (which are also good when I forget lunch at work), a complete crash kit and first-aid kit (I'm an EMT, we have to have them in the workplace so I made one for home, too), as well as a few flares.

I am the type of person that would rather loose a few MPGs in gas mileage hauling all of this crap around then ever be in a situation where I needed anything and didn't have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
This is very good advice. For men and women. Especially the "stay aware of my surroundings" comment.
A lot of weird stuff goes on in the woods around Portland.
You can drive 30 miles out of Estacada and you might as well be 500 miles from anywhere.
No services, facilities, law enforcement, phone service, etc.

This can attract a strange segment of society.
You never know who you are going to meet, what they are up there doing, or how stable they are.

One of my favorite things to do is to get out my ranger topo maps, my Delorme Atlas, and hit the backroads. It's amazing what you come across in the middle of nowhere. I have run across people "just drivin' around" who just took a road with no clue to where it goes, who are totally lost and out of gas.
It's a long hike back to the highway. Especially if you don't know where the highway is.
Even if you have a GPS, it may be inaccurate.
Remember those people from the Bay Area that got lost several years ago in southern Oregon?

If you are planning a day trip to someplace or area that isn't on the well beaten path, please at least take a bucket full of common sense, a map, first aid kit, some food and water, and make sure your vehicle is in good running condition.

If your vehicle breaks down or you get hurt 30 miles up some remote logging road, you will be the one responsible for getting yourself out of it.

Remember, your cell phone won't work in some deep river canyon at 7pm when you need help because you have a flat tire or a broken fan belt.

And don't count on any help from any bigfoots. They really don't care.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:10 PM

All those extra supplies in your car won't help you if your break your foot on the trail. It's only what you have with you at the time that matters. Being an experienced hiker you know that. I know from experience when I sprained my foot on a trail on the Oregon Coast and I had to hop back 2 miles in dim light. It was not a pleasant experience. I was just going for a quick day hike and didn't bring much with me. I was all alone out there and not a soul in sight would help me. I found a good size tree branch I turned into a hiking stick, which helped me a lot make it back. But, it could have been worse had my foot been even more injured.

Hiking alone isn't for everyone. If you hike alone always report to somebody where you are and when you are suppose to be back. If the person doesn't hear from you in a reasonable amount of time, they should call for help. Believe me, being wounded in the Oregon wilderness is not a good idea.

Always bring extra water , food and a jacket with you hiking any trails in Oregon. It could be a matter of life and death. Many people almost died or have died because they didn't think to bring that extra layer of clothing with them for that simple day hike in the woods. Even if it is 90F during the day, I will have a warm fleece or some other lightweight jacket in my backpack. If I am injured and it is night, it can get very cold and help doesn't always arrive quickly.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:25 PM

161 posts, read 410,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticalDream View Post
All those extra supplies in your car won't help you if your break your foot on the trail. It's only what you have with you at the time that matters. Being an experienced hiker you know that. I know from experience when I sprained my foot on a trail on the Oregon Coast and I had to hop back 2 miles in dim light. It was not a pleasant experience. I was just going for a quick day hike and didn't bring much with me. I was all alone out there and not a soul in sight would help me. I found a good size tree branch I turned into a hiking stick, which helped me a lot make it back. But, it could have been worse had my foot been even more injured.

Always bring extra water , food and a jacket with you hiking any trails in Oregon. It could be a matter of life and death. Many people almost died or have died because they didn't think to bring that extra layer of clothing with them for that simple day hike in the woods. Even if it is 90F during the day, I will have a warm fleece or some other lightweight jacket in my backpack. If I am injured and it is night, it can get very cold and help doesn't always arrive quickly.
Haha that's just in my car. I carry everything that I would need in my Camelbak as well (plus, the extra weight burns more calories!). I'm not stupid, I've been doing this for a while and I always come prepared. I don't ever want to be in a 127 hours situation.

I gotta say, too, that my Camelback was probably one of the best investments that I have ever made. I have the 100 oz insulated bladder along with the insulated tube so if I put ice in it it will stay cold for days, and the Vantage backpack which is meant for long day hikes and backpacking. I just love it - you can pack so much crap into it and carry water (a well as having 2 pockets on the outside for nalgenes).

Old 07-27-2011, 04:13 PM

Sounds like you're ready for action..

Old 07-27-2011, 08:30 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,561,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShanti View Post
insulated tube so if I put ice in it it will stay cold for days, and the Vantage backpack which is meant for long day hikes and backpacking. I just love it - you can pack so much crap into it and carry water (a well as having 2 pockets on the outside for nalgenes).
In the Northern states we used insulated tubes so they don't freeze in the winter

Old 03-16-2012, 12:58 PM

543 posts, read 1,145,724 times
I know no one has added to this thread for a long time, but spring is here and I'll be heading out to hike soon.

I was never aware that there were too many bears or mountain lions to be concerned with. Now, I know.
I have heard that up in Rhododendron that bears have learned that Thursday is trash day and can frequently be seen then... Most residents are careful now to take trash out in the morning instead of the night before.

I can attest to making sure you take water, food and at least a light jacket on the trail, even if you're just going to take a "short" hike. My husband and I went to a very small isolated lake way out in the Boonies a couple of years ago. The mosquitoes were so thick, we decided to hike away from the lake on an old logging trail. The upshot was, the logging trail curved back to the lake, (which we thought would give us a great couple mile hike going back to our car), but then took another curve away from the lake and into the wilderness. It was summer, and we just had a half a bottle of iced tea and nothing to eat.

After a couple of hours of going in a slightly askew direction, our options were to go back the way we came (about 4 miles - and it was late afternoon by then) or keep going and hope we'd find signs of a real road. We did come to the main road about a mile later and were EXTREMELY grateful.

Fortunately, we learned quickly that day. It could have turned out much different had we been forced to spend the night in the woods. We also had a greater understanding at how people can get caught in the wilderness unprepared so easily. Taking a quick hike in the back country is not a ride at an amusement park. It can very quickly disintegrate into a survival situation if you are not prepared.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:20 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,549,150 times
Heck, a bear sighting in Forest Park is newsworthy but not unheard of in the spring.

Always bring water, a trail map, a good whistle and warm clothing. Many should also bring a compass.

My first job was in NE New Jersey. While traveling with a local colleague I told him that he was driving the wrong direction to a meeting. His repsonse was, "I thought you haven't been here before!" I told him: "I haven't. Where I grew up if you can't determine which way you were going you didn't make it to adulthood. You are driving east, not south, just look at where the sun is located."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland