Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2011, 10:42 AM

17 posts, read 48,529 times

Advertisements

I will be visiting Portland the week of August 22. I want to spend a few days in Mt hood to hike and mt bike. What area of the forest would you recommend to stay that is close to hiking and mountain biking? Are there any decent hotels? I've looked at several cabins online but they are quite pricey for two people.

Any and all advice appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 11:11 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
There are a couple places around Government Camp. Because the area is a day trip from Portland few of us overnight there so can't comment on the facilities.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:08 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,434,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezer View Post
I will be visiting Portland the week of August 22. I want to spend a few days in Mt hood to hike and mt bike. What area of the forest would you recommend to stay that is close to hiking and mountain biking? Are there any decent hotels? I've looked at several cabins online but they are quite pricey for two people.

Any and all advice appreciated!
And they're going to be unfortunately.

Government Camp Hotels and B&Bs: Read Government Camp Hotel Reviews and Compare Prices - TripAdvisor

The first five are going to be within a decent driving distance of Mt. Hood.

BTW - be sure the trail you're on is actually a mixed use trail. We don't have enough money to build up all trails safe enough to be mixed use. They're usually labeled with a nice sign that'll say "no bikes/horses/4x4s/snow mobiles."

Old 07-27-2011, 11:24 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,561,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
We don't have enough money to build up all trails safe enough to be mixed use. They're usually labeled with a nice sign that'll say "no bikes/horses/4x4s/snow mobiles."
I wouldn't say money is the main reason for this......

Old 07-28-2011, 06:27 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,138,742 times
Craig's List, under Vacation Rentals, has lots of cabins for rent for a variety of prices.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:26 AM

17 posts, read 48,529 times
Thanks for the advice. I'm an avid mt biker and I would never bike on a trail that is closed to bikes.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:27 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,434,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezer View Post
Thanks for the advice. I'm an avid mt biker and I would never bike on a trail that is closed to bikes.
Thank you for that. Unfortunately there is a strong cartel of Mountain Bikers here in the Portland area that seem to think otherwise.

BikePortland.org Illegal MTB Trail in Forest Park

Several major trail systems have been closed down due to the excessive damage of the riders.

On the same token, many more miles of trails have been ruined by 4x4ers. There is a lake a few miles east of Estacada that has been destroyed by 4x4s going through it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: