Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 08:07 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,543,775 times

Advertisements

So I've heard great things about Portland food. What is your favorite street cart, restaurant, or food store?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 08:22 PM

20 posts, read 53,618 times
We're moving to the area and are SUPER excited about the amazing eats all over! I haven't tried the food truck thing yet so don't have any comments on that. I am not a vegetarian and love ethnic food so knowing that here's the favorites that I've tried so far...

Pok Pok is the best Thai I have ever had and lots of folks rave about it! They have an amazing smoked eggplant dish among many other things and the chef won the James Beard cooking award. The wait is really long, but they have a whisky bar you can have a drink in while waiting for a table.

Pok Pok: Welcome

Karam Lebanese Restaurant: My husband is part Lebanese, and he thinks this place is very authentic! Their Mezza plates have a great sampling of foods. Yummmy.

Karam Restaurant

Bunk Sandwich: Amazing sandwiches, not too much seating! Any sandwich they list with pork belly in it is awesome. I think we found this place because it was on "Diner's, Drive-Ins, and Dives."

BUNK sandwiches

Old 08-04-2011, 08:29 PM

53 posts, read 100,028 times
I am definitely not an expert on the subject as I don't (yet) live in PDX, but I have been to Wildwood in NW a couple times and it might have been a couple of the best meals I've ever had.

Wildwood Restaurant – Portland Oregon*|* Cooking from the Source in the Pacific Northwest

I'll be curious to read this thread and start a list of places to hit once I'm up there for good!

Old 08-04-2011, 08:34 PM

16 posts, read 37,536 times
Move to Portland=gain 10 lbs., regardless of how active. The food here is fantastic.

Yelp has been a great resource, but sometimes driving around and just finding a place has done wonders.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:04 PM

161 posts, read 410,938 times
Omg. I am a yelp addict and part of their elite team, so I get to go to restaurant previews and pre-openings where they have a buffet style dinner and free booze for you to sample - it's so awesome!

So far, the best restaurant, hands down, will have you dreaming about it a few weeks later is Screen Door in NW Portland. It's this AMAZINGLY delicious BBQ place. A line forms a good hour before the place opens. They aren't that expensive, either - for $13, you get a 16" dinner plate and you get to choose 3 different items! BTW, their dessert menu is phenomenal, so share a plate and absolutely get your own dessert.

Screen Door - Kerns - Portland, OR

4.5 stars out of 600 reviews...I'd say it's good.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:05 PM

Wow, my mouth is watering already.

I am ashamed that I gained two pounds in just four days in Portland. I shudder to think what is going to happen to me when we move there.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:18 PM

161 posts, read 410,938 times
The good news is that there is TONS of places to go hiking and work it off. Every day I hike at least 5 miles, and in 3 weeks I haven't hiked the same trail twice.

When I was in San Diego I would go street jogging because there were no good hiking places within a 45 min drive. Here, you walk around the block and there is a gorgeous trail!

Old 08-05-2011, 09:40 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
I have become a HUGE foodie, but I couldn't even begin to narrow down my favorite dining establishments. One of the things I hate about traveling so much is that few, if any, cities come close to the wealth of gourmet dining pleasures here, that are also reasonably priced. Heck, few have even a dozen places that comes close to the average in Portland.

There are several food blogs though, my favorite being: -An Exploration of Portland Oregon Food and Drink

Another one that is dedicated to Food Carts: Food Carts Portland

I can give you a few highlights, in the Pearl District Andina, 50 Plates, Oba, Rouge Brewery, Deschutes Brewery are all great choices. Vault Martini Bar is good for appetizers and drinks.

On the east side of the river on Burnside is Laurelhurst Meat Market, Screen Door, East Burn, India Grill. And Dove Vivi (gourmet Pizza,) is a bit north of there on Glisan.

South on Hawthorne is Bombay Cricket Club, Vicente's Pizza, Pho Van, Bread and Ink Cafe (great breakfast, decent lunch, great dinners,) Cup and Saucer (great breakfast,) Chopsticks, Pepino's Mexican Grill.

North on Alberta is Tin Shed Cafe, Hesler's, del Inti, Vita Cafe, and at least a dozen more places that I haven't tried yet.

Along NW 23rd, you have Kornblatt's, Papa Haydn, a new place called Limo Peruvian that is getting rave reviews, Typhoon! (great food, but at the center of several overtime labor disputes,) and Mayura Indian Grill and Bar which has a great lunch buffet.

A bit east of there on NW 21st is Urban Fondue (blows Melting Pot away,) Cha Taqueria, Lucy's Table, Beau Thai, Serrato, Swagat Indian.

If you're on the West Side 'burbs, check out Pasta Pronto, and Lentil Kitchen in Tanasbourne are both good destinations and cheap too.

On the food cart side of things I love "The Dude" at Bro Dogs in the 5th and Alder Pod, the Grilled Cheese Grill on Alberta, and Wicked Wings in the 9th and Alder Pod. 9th and Alder has about 60 food carts alone, and half could compete food wise with most established brick and mortar places in PDX.

My advice for dining in Portland; avoid any of large non-local chains and be adventurous. You'll have a good chance of finding decent if not great food. There are easily forty places in town that I'd like to try but haven't done so yet. Unfortunately there are so many great places for food that one can have nothing but rave reviews but still go out of business (Ten 10) because there is so many great choices. If you're having a hard time choosing, feel free to ask any local and they'll point you out to places I've never heard of.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:52 AM

I guess I have a lot of eating to do! I better become an outdoors person stat. I'm more of a cubicle person.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:07 AM

378 posts, read 974,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzoo_camp View Post
Move to Portland=gain 10 lbs., regardless of how active. The food here is fantastic.

Yelp has been a great resource, but sometimes driving around and just finding a place has done wonders.

Ain't that the truth. Before we left NC we ate all the fried food and BBQ we could stomach figuring when we got out here it would be all granola and hippie fare. Boy were we wrong. The food here is fantastic! We walk everywhere and I still managed to gain 5lbs. I'll put my votes in for Andina (Peruvian awesomeness in the Pearl on 14th & Glisan) and Fire on the Mountain (hippie chicken wings - specifically the one on SE 17th & Burnside).

Now which food cart should I eat at for lunch... decisions decisions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: