Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 11:12 PM

892 posts, read 2,392,520 times

Advertisements

I'm in LOVE with this summer here...but as full disclosure I'm one of the most enthusiastic contributors to the "anyone move here *because* of the weather?" thread (and have been here for plenty of wet gray wonderful visits before too).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 11:54 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,522,258 times
As long as it's sunny on the weekends I'm pretty content. This week it's been cloudy and grey in the mornings, but today by the time I got off work and went for a jog along the waterfront and Eastbank Esplanade, the weather was absolutely perfect.

But honestly as far as the weather's been this year, the extremely wet spring weather into summer was sort of annoying. And the huge snowpack was great to ski on into May, but it kind of sucks having the high country trails not be snowfree for backpacking until August.

But it's the Northwest--after 8 years living in Portland and 5 before that in Ashland, I've gotten used to the enjoyably changing mix of weather we get throughout the year. Growing up on the mild, but foggy California coast and Canada for most of my childhood, I really never experienced living through a really hot summer until I moved to Oregon ironically(and that includes a few summers in Portland). But as far as being a longterm transplant and occasionally griping about the weather patterns this year-well my Portland-born girlfriend complains much more than I do. And I hear plenty of native Northwesterners at my work, talking frequently about how it's weird that it's August and it feels like summer just really started a couple weeks ago.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:02 AM

10 posts, read 22,317 times
We are enjoying the cool mornings and evenings. It's great for bike rides and dog walking. That's why I love the autumns here so much. We came from WI a few years ago.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:21 AM

600 posts, read 1,468,591 times
While it may be a bit cooler here this summer its not too far off from normal. If you're already worrying about the weather then you didnt really look into PNW weather patterns. Weather here can change in an instant. We can have clouds, rain, hail and then sunshine in the span of an hour some days

Old 08-14-2011, 12:55 AM

132 posts, read 230,602 times
This is one reason why I love it here in Portland. I moved 4 yrs ago from So Cal and I could not wait to get out of there! I don't get why people talk about So Cal as having the best climate... I guess every one has a subjective opinion about the weather. To me it gets very boring having sun all the time like they do in So Cal. (not to mention all the other problems they have with smog and the dry Santa Ana winds and all the fires etc) I lived there most of my life and I can remember many Christmas' where it was like 90. Sorry but that is just not right IMHO. I too happen to love the mild summers here in Portland. I actually got concerned when the summer of 2009 came and there was that major heat wave... I was thinking " I left So Cal to come to the same thing?????" But thankfully that was shortlived and very unusual. I was almost going to have to move to San Antonio and was freakin' out because of what is going on down there with all the drought. Thank goodness I get to stay here in Portland longer. I am due to deliver a baby this week and have been totally blessed with this mild summer. Yeah!!!!!! I love the weather here in Portland......

Old 08-14-2011, 11:34 AM

80 posts, read 219,028 times
How hot do you people want it to be? It's been 70s and 80s pretty much everyday for the last two months! I think most people would say that those are ideal temperatures! If you want 90 and 100 degree summer weather then you definitely need to move south! As for the clouds, they usually burn off by early afternoon (in the summer, of course). It's just a marine layer caused by the ocean. It's a west
Coast thing. LA and San Fran start their days off cloudy too.

Old 08-14-2011, 04:39 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,624,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanlover85 View Post
How hot do you people want it to be? It's been 70s and 80s pretty much everyday for the last two months! I think most people would say that those are ideal temperatures! If you want 90 and 100 degree summer weather then you definitely need to move south! As for the clouds, they usually burn off by early afternoon (in the summer, of course). It's just a marine layer caused by the ocean. It's a west
Coast thing. LA and San Fran start their days off cloudy too.
As the OP, I'll answer this. I want it to be about 95 for 4 consecutive days. That's it--that's all I want. Then it can go back to 80 until mid September and 70s till early October. Then 60s, 50s, 40s, and 30s all the way from November through June, along with overcast skies 9 days out of 10 and rain 7 days out of 10. Ok, let's throw in 2 good snow events of at least 4 inches that last 3 days each (preferably over a weekend so it doesn't matter so much if everything shuts down).

Is this too much to ask?

Old 08-14-2011, 07:54 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,522,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
As the OP, I'll answer this. I want it to be about 95 for 4 consecutive days. That's it--that's all I want. Then it can go back to 80 until mid September and 70s till early October. Then 60s, 50s, 40s, and 30s all the way from November through June, along with overcast skies 9 days out of 10 and rain 7 days out of 10. Ok, let's throw in 2 good snow events of at least 4 inches that last 3 days each (preferably over a weekend so it doesn't matter so much if everything shuts down).

Is this too much to ask?
That sounds about right. But I'd rather have the snow days over a weekday so I get off work for a day or two.

But for those posters saying that this weather is normal summer weather, this year has actually been pretty mild even for the Northwest. This was the first July in almost 20 years without a day where the temperature reached 90 degrees. If we didn't have a day above 90 degrees in Portland this year it'd be the first time since 1954, and usually there's an average of 13 days that reach that temperature. And I know these facts because our local weather forecasters seem to be obsessed with our lack of 90 degree days this summer.

Anyhow I'm fine with summer days in the 80s--hopefully we can get a few more warm days into September that I can spend floating on the river or at a swimming hole.

Last edited by Deezus; 08-14-2011 at 08:36 PM..

Old 08-14-2011, 07:57 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,543,539 times
Thanks for this info! I hate 90-degree weather. It depresses me.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:22 PM

334 posts, read 486,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
Yet another cloudy August day with temps expected to struggle to reach 75°, and tomorrow is forecast to barely top 70°. For the last few days the overcast doesn't break until 1:30 or 2 in the afternoon. Tomorrow is supposed to start out drizzly.

I'm just curious if any of the folks that have moved here recently, say within the last several months or so, are starting to question their choice of moving here based on the cool overcast. No judgements--even natives and long-time residents are getting pretty sick of this.

I want to stress that this isn't typical summer weather. At least it's not typical for it to be so cool for such a sustained period of time. We have had a few days in the mid-80s, which is much more typical. And who knows? We may still get that solid week in the upper 90s. There's still plenty of August left.
lol, only every day! I've given up on anything normal, but it grows on you I kind of like the cloudy days and the sunny days are so nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland