Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 06:05 PM
sgr sgr started this thread

13 posts, read 15,727 times

Advertisements

No, can't justify the top of my budget for such a small space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 04:14 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
We were recently in town for a week looking around neighborhoods and really like close-in SE (between Burnside/Clinton and the river/50th) and NW around 23rd. We'd like to rent a 2 br home with some charm and a yard, but I couldn't find one rental sign the entire trip. Our budget is between $1,000 and $1,500/month. I noticed a lot of people our age (mid-20s) in the neighborhood we stayed in — near Hawthorne and 34th — so I'm assuming there are rentals available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgr View Post
No, can't justify the top of my budget for such a small space.
You will have to compromise somewhere in this. It is not likely you will be able to find what you are describing in these neighborhoods at your first attempt. However, after moving here and networking, you may be able to discover something close. That's how I got my apartment at cheaper than the average rental rate.

In the beginning, you will probably have to take whatever is available even if it costs more than you would like. Then do your scouting about for what you need by word of mouth, friend recommendations and signs on lawns.

Competition for rentals is high. As I said before, it often amounts to being in the right place at the right time or knowing someone who will give you the deal you are looking for.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
You will have to compromise somewhere in this. It is not likely you will be able to find what you are describing in these neighborhoods at your first attempt. However, after moving here and networking, you may be able to discover something close. That's how I got my apartment at cheaper than the average rental rate.

In the beginning, you will probably have to take whatever is available even if it costs more than you would like. Then do your scouting about for what you need by word of mouth, friend recommendations and signs on lawns.

Competition for rentals is high. As I said before, it often amounts to being in the right place at the right time or knowing someone who will give you the deal you are looking for.
Where are you renting and for how much? Just curious to see what "could" exist...

Old 08-11-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgr View Post
Where are you renting and for how much? Just curious to see what "could" exist...
I am renting a one bedroom apartment off Hawthorne Blvd for $740 a month. It's small but adequate for me. We have a lovely courtyard and backyard.

When I first moved in four years ago I only paid $675 but my rent has increased over the years. Compared to comparable one bedroom apartments in the area that are going for upwards of $1000 per month I know I have a good deal.

When my job was downsized and I could no longer afford my previous apartment my present landlord allowed me the $675 although others at the time were paying more.

I had known the landlord and his wife for the years I lived across the street.They knew my situation and were giving me a big break. I was also friends with other tenants in what is now my present building.

From time to time one hears these kinds of stories. It's kind of like the job situation in Portland. One of the best ways to find a good deal with either one is to network, network, network. Or be very lucky as some people who post here have been with either one or the other.

One more thing about Hawthorne Blvd and the area. Many of the young people you see on the streets actually just come to hang out. They don't live here. And many young people around here own their own homes although most I think are now more middle aged people who bought their homes when the neigbhorhood was bad and houses were in need of repair. That's when you could rent a house really cheap. This was back in the 80's and 90's.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:17 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,561,885 times
[quote=Minervah;20417541And many young people around here own their own homes although most I think are now more middle aged people who bought their homes when the neigbhorhood was bad and houses were in need of repair.[/QUOTE]

Hard to imagine many young people buying there now, with the avg. house price in the 300-400k range. Even with 200k, you'd be lucky to get north of Powell.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:20 AM

Seemed like a lot of "communes" of young people in the foursquares near Hawthorne. I saw many of them setting up "sidewalk sales." I guess this is normal in these parts?

Old 08-12-2011, 11:33 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
Hard to say what is 'normal', particularly is this economy. There was a sidewalk sale on SW Vista last weekend - they didn't have a garage. In my youth room mates were common, we were not a commune by any stretch of the imagination.

Estate and garage sales are very popular in Portland. There is also the custom of putting an item at the curb you don't want for others to take.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:47 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,561,885 times
Many of the "hipster" crowd in SE and NE live in packed rental houses, I have known more than a few people who lived with 10, 11, 12 people in their house to keep the rent low.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
Many of the "hipster" crowd in SE and NE live in packed rental houses, I have known more than a few people who lived with 10, 11, 12 people in their house to keep the rent low.
And many bus in from other neighborhoods where they can afford to live but since there are so many visitors who shop on Hawthorne they have a good chance at selling their stuff.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
That's what I'm saying. How are landlords OK with that, but you can't have a freakin' dog?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: