Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 11:12 PM

758 posts, read 2,370,706 times

Advertisements

Well, I've been here for 17 years, after a long stint in the Bay Area and the central coast of California.
It took me 15 years to get used to the long winters, but when I finally got in sync with the seasons, it's been fine.
Portland itself is a very livable city with fine people. You won't get rich here, but you'll get by. I can't think of any reason I'd move away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 01:05 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,817,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pth View Post
I have had a hard time finding positive threads about the city. I see lots of rain threads, and a gang violence thread, etc.

The picture threads are nice, and I'm an outdoor obsess/enthusiast so it seems like a ridiculously awesome place to be. I get that it rains but if its just a sprinkle once or twice a day..that's not something that would deter me.

Does anyone here love portland?
It really is a gorgeous city. It's safe, it's vibrant, it's diverse, it's friendly, it's laid back, it's tolerant... Weather is subjective and gang violence is not usually something you deal with unless you're in a gang or you're a cop. There are a lot of cool things going on. I think a lot of complaints come from people who have too narrow of a view of Portland. I work somewhere where I see a good slice of the ENTIRE population--old, young, liberal, conservative, single, married, parents, non-parents, male, female, other, LGBTQ, native, transplant, immigrant, all races, all religions, all levels of ableness, housed, houseless, and so on. But if you focus on just one group (say, for example, hipsters or liberals or transplants or homeless or...) and come from somewhere else with a different context for your social interactions between groups of people or with a certain kind of worldview, then you might feel a little miffed by the city and/or its denizens. My point is that, having the whole picture, I love Portland and its residents (for the most part) and I think the complainers usually just aren't seeing the big picture.

That all said, I think it can be a polarizing city to an extent. People *tend* to love it or hate it in my experience, depending on a lot of factors. I actually do a little bit of both sometimes. You could say that Portland and I have a sort of toxic relationship with each other because of that... Although we are "taking a break" right now, I could definitely see myself "getting serious" with Portland someday.

Old 08-13-2011, 03:11 PM

95 posts, read 201,158 times
I LOVE Portland! I have lived here around 4 months and came from Arizona...my whole family loves it so far!

Old 08-13-2011, 03:14 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,431,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
It really is a gorgeous city. It's safe, it's vibrant, it's diverse, it's friendly, it's laid back, it's tolerant... Weather is subjective and gang violence is not usually something you deal with unless you're in a gang or you're a cop. There are a lot of cool things going on. I think a lot of complaints come from people who have too narrow of a view of Portland. I work somewhere where I see a good slice of the ENTIRE population--old, young, liberal, conservative, single, married, parents, non-parents, male, female, other, LGBTQ, native, transplant, immigrant, all races, all religions, all levels of ableness, housed, houseless, and so on. But if you focus on just one group (say, for example, hipsters or liberals or transplants or homeless or...) and come from somewhere else with a different context for your social interactions between groups of people or with a certain kind of worldview, then you might feel a little miffed by the city and/or its denizens. My point is that, having the whole picture, I love Portland and its residents (for the most part) and I think the complainers usually just aren't seeing the big picture.

That all said, I think it can be a polarizing city to an extent. People *tend* to love it or hate it in my experience, depending on a lot of factors. I actually do a little bit of both sometimes. You could say that Portland and I have a sort of toxic relationship with each other because of that... Although we are "taking a break" right now, I could definitely see myself "getting serious" with Portland someday.
The bolded is a great statement. I really explains why some come here and are disappointed. For myself, I used to love Portland, not so much anymore but I don't hate it. It's a place to live until I can relocate.

I can see though, that for someone looking for many of it's actual amenities, it's a good place to live.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:24 PM

334 posts, read 486,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post

how true

Old 08-13-2011, 06:04 PM

621 posts, read 1,332,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pth View Post
I have definitely learned to take this forum for what its worth..alot of it will be negative because no one really yaps about the positive stuff haha

You never have a drought!

Old 08-13-2011, 06:19 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,904,959 times
Great post, Backdrifter! I sometimes love it here but not sure if it's PDX or just that mid-life is proving to be a great time for me personally. I have lived in beahtiful cities but peronal unhappiness skewed my opinions of those places.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:54 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,433,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twincam666 View Post
You never have a drought!
Unfortunately, not true: The Oregon Story . Water . Oregon's Water | OPB

Old 08-13-2011, 09:37 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,429,683 times
I dont think Portland is any closer to perfection than Seattle, Cleveland or any other similar size city. Like the others, it too has many great attributes. And imo, the people talking trash about a certain city tend to be the natives that take it for granted, or outsiders unfairly comparing the worst of it to the best about their hometown.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:12 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,817,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
The bolded is a great statement. I really explains why some come here and are disappointed. For myself, I used to love Portland, not so much anymore but I don't hate it. It's a place to live until I can relocate.

I can see though, that for someone looking for many of it's actual amenities, it's a good place to live.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
Great post, Backdrifter! I sometimes love it here but not sure if it's PDX or just that mid-life is proving to be a great time for me personally. I have lived in beahtiful cities but peronal unhappiness skewed my opinions of those places.
Thanks guys.

I definitely think people need to be realistic and put things in perspective. No place is perfect and no place is really completely bad, at least in this country... Not even somewhere like Fresno or Detroit or...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland