U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 11:31 PM

181 posts, read 247,135 times

Advertisements

Thanks for starting this post, and for all the replies! I've also been here for two months and still have not found "THE" grocery store. Believe it or not, I got spoiled grocery shopping in Dayton, Ohio (pop. 150,000)! Dayton has the biggest and best natural foods store I have EVER seen (even after six years in NYC). I live in the NW Alphabet District now and am a 5-minute walk from Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, and Fred Meyer, and I don't really like any of them. I used to shop exclusively at Whole Foods when I was living in NYC, but the store in the Pearl is really small and has a pretty limited selection (especially in the health and beauty section). Trader Joe's is okay, but doesn't carry a lot of the brands I'm used to. Fred Meyer is not really my cup of tea. (I'm probably the opposite of the OP -- the more crunchy/granola the store, the more I like it!) I've also driven out to the New Seasons in Beaverton, but I thought it was pretty much the same as Trader Joe's. I'm excited to try Market of Choice, which I had never heard of before this thread. It's kind of a hike for me, though. I've also been meaning to visit the co-op on NW Thurman, but I'm afraid it's going to be too cramped/small for my liking. I guess I could try one of the larger Whole Foods stores out in the 'burbs, too... sigh! I never imagined finding the perfect health food store would be this difficult in PORTLAND of all places!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 12:03 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,139,560 times
Try the Whole Foods in Hollywood or Zupan's in NW.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:34 AM

689 posts, read 653,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gma221 View Post
Thanks for starting this post, and for all the replies! I've also been here for two months and still have not found "THE" grocery store. Believe it or not, I got spoiled grocery shopping in Dayton, Ohio (pop. 150,000)! Dayton has the biggest and best natural foods store I have EVER seen (even after six years in NYC). I live in the NW Alphabet District now and am a 5-minute walk from Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, and Fred Meyer, and I don't really like any of them. I used to shop exclusively at Whole Foods when I was living in NYC, but the store in the Pearl is really small and has a pretty limited selection (especially in the health and beauty section). Trader Joe's is okay, but doesn't carry a lot of the brands I'm used to. Fred Meyer is not really my cup of tea. (I'm probably the opposite of the OP -- the more crunchy/granola the store, the more I like it!) I've also driven out to the New Seasons in Beaverton, but I thought it was pretty much the same as Trader Joe's. I'm excited to try Market of Choice, which I had never heard of before this thread. It's kind of a hike for me, though. I've also been meaning to visit the co-op on NW Thurman, but I'm afraid it's going to be too cramped/small for my liking. I guess I could try one of the larger Whole Foods stores out in the 'burbs, too... sigh! I never imagined finding the perfect health food store would be this difficult in PORTLAND of all places!
LOL - glad I could help. Personally, we loved Giant Eagle in Ohio - although I don't think they were much past Columbus. Great meat/produce, good prices (not quite Wal-Mart, but moving that way), daily double coupons, lots of BOGO's, and a good gas card program. Not terribly much in the way of natural foods, although they did have a decent sized section at our particular store.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:19 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,304,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderbygrace View Post
LOL - glad I could help. Personally, we loved Giant Eagle in Ohio
Even though they have strangled the grocery industry in Northern Ohio? They are the WalMart of Ohio groceries.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:21 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,304,044 times
Quote:
Thanks for starting this post, and for all the replies! I've also been here for two months and still have not found "THE" grocery store.
what are you not finding between Trader Joe's and New Season's? Trader Joe's does only their own brand or "granola-type brands" (Kashi, Tom's of Main, etc....)

Old 08-18-2011, 10:43 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,329,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
The Haggen building on Murray Blvd, and the land it sits on, have been purchased by Walmart. They haven't announced any definite plans, but they have been talking publically about opening some stores that are smaller than their usual ones.
Great. Murray is already nearly impassible certain times of the day.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:36 PM

2,004 posts, read 2,270,354 times
Quote:
Fred Meyer is not really my cup of tea. (I'm probably the opposite of the OP -- the more crunchy/granola the store, the more I like it!) I've also driven out to the New Seasons in Beaverton, but I thought it was pretty much the same as Trader Joe's.
First, every Fred Meyer has a health food/crunchy/granola section; I think they call it the "Natural Foods" department, or "Nutrition Center" - that may be an old name. It can be handy when you're in Freddy's already, buying clothes or paint or something, to know you can pick up something good there. And when you're someplace unfamiliar, like at the coast - just find Fred Meyer and you've got some natural foods.

Second, New Seasons is drastically different from Trader Joe's in my eyes. TJ's is a specialty store that specializes in house brands that you can't get anywhere else. New Seasons is a full-service grocery store. You could do all your shopping at New Seasons; you couldn't at Trader Joe's. The big new New Seasons store at Cedar Hills Crossing in Beaverton is three times the size of any Trader Joe's I've ever been in. Lots of people, including me, think New Seasons compares very favorably to Whole Foods.

Third, the Food Front co-op on NW Thurman is well worth a visit. It's not huge, but it is well-stocked and well-run. They also have another store in Southwest, in the Hillsdale neighborhood - they took over a former Wild Oats store there (Wild Oats took it over from a fondly-remembered local chain called Nature's; some of the people who ran Nature's now run New Seasons). There are also two co-ops on the east side, People's in SE and Alberta in NE.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:42 PM

689 posts, read 653,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
Even though they have strangled the grocery industry in Northern Ohio? They are the WalMart of Ohio groceries.
Not in my area of NE Ohio. They operated quite nicely alongside three local chains - Fishers Foods, Buehler's, and Acme.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:27 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,329,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post

Third, the Food Front co-op on NW Thurman is well worth a visit. It's not huge, but it is well-stocked and well-run. They also have another store in Southwest, in the Hillsdale neighborhood - they took over a former Wild Oats store there (Wild Oats took it over from a fondly-remembered local chain called Nature's; some of the people who ran Nature's now run New Seasons). There are also two co-ops on the east side, People's in SE and Alberta in NE.
And Whole Foods took over Wild Oats (possibly illegally.)

There are other small "crunchy granola" grocery stores around town. Alberta Food Co-OP, the People's Food Co-op on SE 21st and Tibbetts, and another over on Mississippi that I can't remember the name of.

Plus there are several "stores" that specialize in just fresh veggies and fruits such as Kruger's on Hawthorne, and Portland Fruit and Produce on Foster.

Old 08-18-2011, 04:41 PM

621 posts, read 685,186 times
Do they have Super Wal Marts there...Can't get much more discount than that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland