Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 02:48 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,434,579 times

Advertisements

A flat head shovel (snow shovels are useless here,) and/or a couple bags of sand (cat litter will do in a pinch) to help with sidewalks and drives ways would not be remiss either. If the weather is looking bad I'll throw a bag of sand in the trunk to help the car keep traction, and also to use in an emergency.

Also Les Schwab has a guarantee on Snow Chains. If you don't use them, they'll take them back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 06:28 PM

865 posts, read 2,500,919 times
Hey, I loved the winter of 08! Portland shuts down and everything gets so peaceful. Bring on more snow!

Old 08-23-2011, 06:33 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roneb View Post
Hey, I loved the winter of 08! Portland shuts down and everything gets so peaceful. Bring on more snow!
I had fun building snow cats with my neighbors and having snow ball fights. Reminded me of Chicago.

But trying to travel anywhere in it is difficult. It was fun as long as I didn't have to get anywhere.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roneb View Post
The first three.... four days were fine. It was days 8 and 9 that started to become the problem.

Just starting to snow (Hey... not a huge deal!)

Day Six - notice the strips of ice in the road? That's what you have to really watch out for when driving. It gets packed down hard and becomes very slick.

Closeup of all the ice:

Day Seven - roads are pretty much impassible still unless you have chain and patience.

Day 9 was the first day a lot of people were able to get out. But a lot of places were still closed.

Last three pictures were all about 3pm in the afternoon. I'm sure many of you can recognize the locations.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:21 PM

132 posts, read 230,537 times
Well I for one am looking forward to it. I moved here from So Cal in 2007 and then in the winter of 2008 I traveled back to So Cal for Christmas. We left the 2nd day of the snow event and missed all the excitement. I was so bummed out! My husband was out playing golf in 80 degree weather in So Cal while I watched the news report of the snow storm I was missing!!! And to be honest, I thought last year's La Nina was a bust for me personally. We go one day of 2 inches of snow that melted the same day. There were a lot of days that the weather person talked about huge storms that were approaching and then would peeter out to nothing. That is what we got here in Hillsboro! And because of the hype of La Nina, I went out and bought my kids snow outfits ahead of time. I even joked with Bruce Sesman on his blog about it!

Old 08-23-2011, 09:23 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Not so much fun dealing with black ice. Or when the bus dumps everyone off miles from their destination when it can't make it up the street. And the dangerous slipping and sliding of cars trying to get traction. Or pipes freezing because they weren't installed with adaquate insulation or getting stranded at work and having to stay overnight in a downtown hotel is not so much.

I like the snow and as I said it's fun to play in. But trying to get around in it in Portland can be a challegne. So I am glad I am now retired and won't have to get around in it if comes our way.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:42 PM

638 posts, read 1,178,307 times
Let's say I get a job (it could happen). Two months later, I can't get down my hill to go to work. Are people understanding about that? Would I be fired if I called in too many days in a row saying I was iced in?

Old 08-24-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiemama View Post
Let's say I get a job (it could happen). Two months later, I can't get down my hill to go to work. Are people understanding about that? Would I be fired if I called in too many days in a row saying I was iced in?
Most companies are pretty understanding.

We had issues at my last job though. The bosses were a combination of English, Canadians and Californians. None had experienced an Oregon Winter at all, much less one like that. There was a lot of mandatory over time to get back on schedule afterwards.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:12 AM

600 posts, read 1,468,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiemama View Post
Totally understanding (for the most part and Ive never had a problem). Anyone who would be concerned about you making it in to work would be stuck at home too most likely

Old 08-24-2011, 10:15 AM

600 posts, read 1,468,319 times
Thanks for the pics Hamellr! That was the year I couldnt get to work for over a week and I had an SUV. We had our in laws over and they couldnt get home even with chains it was so bad. It would be nice if we the snow and then it just melted. Having it melt to freeze again to ice just makes it awful around here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland