Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 07:42 PM

4 posts, read 28,876 times

Advertisements

Are there hunting and fishing opportunities within 30 min of Portland? Is there public land to hunt on? Is hunting frowned upon by all the liberals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 07:47 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
Well, you can fish in town. Or just about anywhere around it. Depends on what you're fishing for, of course. Hunting, most people I know who hunt have gone either to the Coast Range or to Eastern Oregon -- mostly Eastern Oregon, though.

It'd probably be frowned on by the new-comer liberals, but any old-timer, not likely. I wouldn't drive through town with a dead deer strapped to my hood. lol.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:28 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
I remember when my Dad brought home a deer, my sister never ate venison again.

Most cities prohibit discharge of a gun within city limits (except in self defence) because of the risk of hitting a neighbor. This isn't a liberal or conservative issue, a bullet doesn't know. There are shooting ranges so using a gun is not at all foreign.

Game is most easily found in the national/state/county forests which is convenient because most private property owners control hunting on their property. Some with water fowl charge for the privilege.

Like Enrico said you can catch fish in the city.

Note however that we have anal retentive fish and game folks. You need a permit and they enforce the regulations. Most locals won't call their attention to someone "accidentally" shooting a sea lion upstream of the mouth of the Columbia or shooting a deer for consumption on your own rural property (if out of season you will need to dress it yourself).

Old 09-06-2011, 08:39 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,542,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamper1 View Post
Are there hunting and fishing opportunities within 30 min of Portland? Is there public land to hunt on? Is hunting frowned upon by all the liberals?
You'll be hard pressed to find hunting within 30 minutes of Portland.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:54 AM

In season there is duck hunting on Sauvie Island, at least there used to be.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:55 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Fishing upstream from Portland on either the Columbia or Willamette, deep sea fishing out of Astoria. Deer hunting in the Coast Range or Mt. Hood National Forest for blacktail, which are small deer. There are Roosevelt elk in the Coast Range, larger than Rocky Mountain elk, but tags are hard to get. Mule deer east of the Cascades go bigger than Mulies in the SW. You are going to need at least an hour to reach a hunting spot, and that is if you have scouted in advance. It will take moretime to get to a spot you don't hal
Ve to share with half a dozen other hunters.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:42 PM

405 posts, read 1,280,676 times
Plenty of bird hunting in Washington side of the Columbia River, including Ridgefield. Also, Sauvie Island has a bird hunting season. There is a ton of hunting in Clark county from what I have heard. As a matter of fact, there is lot of hunting all over Oregon and Washington. Whoever says there is no hunting around hasn't done much investigation, although the Oregon coast does have some of the most giant elk I have ever seen, when I lived there. I think there is plenty of hunting opportunities around Estacada and in the surrounding areas. Mount Hood National Forest should be a nice spot, although it may be more crowded than some like. What can you expect from a forest bordering a 2 milllion + urban area though?

Old 09-06-2011, 08:08 PM

804 posts, read 2,892,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamper1 View Post
go check out the forum on www.ifish.net that is the premiere hunting/fishing forum in the area.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:47 AM

4 posts, read 28,876 times
Thanks, I will be browsing ifish to get a feel for the area. How about small game? I own beagles to chase rabbits. Is it hard to find land to do that on?

Old 09-07-2011, 09:05 AM

To the best of my knowledge we have few wild rabbits (thank heavens) around Portland metro.

Farmers hate rabbits, most were let loose by urban residents who bought them for the kids at Easter. Farmers don't want folks just wandering across their property but many would be happy if you want hossenfeffer for dinner. ALWAYS obtain permission from the property owner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland