U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-07-2011, 08:31 PM

19 posts, read 25,727 times

Advertisements

I was born an raised in a tiny little town south of Olympia in Washington State. When I was twenty, I moved to Houston, Texas for a little adventure. I lived there for four years, and I hated the city itself. What kept me there was my job and some amazing people that I met there. I made it work and enjoyed my time there, but I have recently moved back to Washington to be closer to my family. I have always loved the West Coast, and I am thinking about moving to the city of Portland, Oregon to attend school and work and live...

Houston CONS:

Too big and industrial
Lack of natural beauty and dirty (air smelled like cancer, trash everywhere)
Too much "ghetto" (it's an attitude, way of dress, etc)
BAD, bad drivers
Crime (I was held at gunpoint and mugged once in my apartment mailroom)

I am 24, female, introverted... although I do like to get out once and awhile and get a little crazy. I love art, sushi, music, and doing things outdoors. I care about the environment. I have one cat and love my video games!

So I am looking for an area to start my apartment-hunting and scouting of the area... I am looking for somewhere affordable (in the 550-650 range). Larger studios or one-bedrooms. Any suggestions on areas of Portland to start looking?

I will be working in the food industry (four plus years of experience). I have a transfer available for the Cheesecake Factory in Tigard, but I have enough experience that I could have a good fighting chance at any other upscale restaurant.

I hope I haven't typed your eyeballs out (blah, blah, blah) but I am needing some suggestions. When my car finally arrives, I want to take some day trips and check out the area. But it's been about four years since I spent any time at all on the West Coast and I need suggestions on where to start!

THANK YOU!!!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 10:06 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,340,492 times
Plenty of apartments near the Tigard Cheese Cake factory. If that's where you're transferring too, it's best to move close to work until you get used to the area and can find a place that you think will work better for you. Look in North Tigard and Beaverton areas for apartments. Along Hall Blvd is probably your best bet for combination of decent area and price, but be sure you're looking close to Highway 217 and not close to a street named Cedar Hills. You should be able to find something close to your price range through there.

If you can move with in the company, do so and then look for a job later. The market is bad enough even in food services that you may have a hard time finding a job.

The second question is, do you know what school you're looking to attend? That's going to impact where you live, and possibly where you work.

BTW - Cheese Cake factory is not considered upscale in Portland, at least among diners. It's more of a novelty act located in the 'burbs so that it doesn't have to compete against real restaurants.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:24 AM

13,614 posts, read 10,715,887 times
I like the Cheese cake factory but I am not certain that if you want to find an upscale restaurant to work in, that you would want to put that as your only experience on your resume. There is a bit of food snobbery that goes on in the fancier restaurants.

Portland has two culinary schools (maybe more) where students learn upscale cooking. They and the already experienced food industry people would be more likely to obtain jobs at the more upscale places.

By all means, take the transfer. You probably will not want to commute from Portland to Tigard but there are lots of nice apartments in Tigard and the surrounding area. Many have less expensive rents than Portland.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:05 AM

1,367 posts, read 1,957,602 times
If you want to be somewhat closer to downtown but still have a reasonable commute to The Cheesecake Factory, you may want to consider the Hillsdale/Multnomah Village area (SW Portland). It would probably take you about 15 minutes to get to work. However, it will likely be more expensive in this area.

If you don't mind the 'burbs and want to minimize the commute, there are a lot of apartments right around Washington Square Mall where the restaurant is. Look for places along Scholls Ferry Road just north or south of Hwy 217.

I think what folks here have to say about locals' opinion of The Cheesecake Factory is pretty spot-on. I think here in Portland the restaurant is lumped in with such places as Red Robin and Olive Garden--or probably considered only slightly more upscale than those places. Fine dining is found at local restaurants that serve local NW ingredients and the chefs' names are actually known. With that in mind, if your goal is to work at a real Portland upscale restaurant, you'd need to work downtown or close in to downtown because that's where all those restaurants are.

But as Minervah says, take the transfer. You'll have a leg up on all those unemployed servers!

Old 09-08-2011, 10:45 AM

600 posts, read 829,236 times
Use your transfer. There is more competition than you know in the service industry here. Get yourself established here first and then start looking for another place to work if you want. The more upscale restaurants are all downtown so take that into consideration when you look for place. Cheesecake is in a suburb about 20 min outside of downtown but the good news is rents over there are reasonable

Old 09-11-2011, 11:21 PM

46 posts, read 32,988 times
Cedar Hills... it is at the mouth of 217, 12 min from CHF. and 12 min from the downtown area... I pay 745.00 for my 1 bedroom... look at barnes rd, or anything around there!

And Minervah, have you found a place in town that has great service? Goucho excluded... if so spill them because I have yet to feel good about leaving 20% anywhere...

Old 09-11-2011, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zack dotcom View Post
Cedar Hills... it is at the mouth of 217, 12 min from CHF. and 12 min from the downtown area... I pay 745.00 for my 1 bedroom... look at barnes rd, or anything around there!

And Minerva, have you found a place in town that has great service? Gaucho excluded... if so spill them because I have yet to feel good about leaving 20% anywhere...
Well most restaurants I go to have pretty good service but I don't go that much anymore. Too darn expensive. I can't afford the more upscale restarurants any longer.

I do like The Cup and Saucer one on Hawthorne and another in North Portland. Riyad's on Hawthorne is good. NoHo's on Clinton St and Fremont is a favorite.

These all have good service. The food coming can sometimes be a bit slow in coming but they cook everything from scratch. Not assembly line like an Applebee's or Cheesecake Factory although I go to those places too.

The percentage I give is based on the service I get. I will start at 20% but if I feel the service hasn't been all that great, it goes down. I was a waitperson a long time ago but I still remember what a tough job that was.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:29 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,340,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post

I do like The Cup and Saucer one on Hawthorne and another in North Portland.
Just had breakfast there this weekend. I always forget (probably for the better,) how awesome their Belgian Waffles are.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
Just had breakfast there this weekend. I always forget (probably for the better,) how awesome their Belgian Waffles are.
Oh they are. I live walking distance from the Hawthorne restaurant. My favorite is the number 13 "Lucky Scramble" followed closely by their BLT.

And their homemade pastries are wonderful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland