U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-21-2012, 10:58 PM

919 posts, read 1,811,290 times
I hear ya. I wasn't born and raised here, but I did come up for college and ended up staying. In more than 20 years, I never acclimated to the weather, though. The overcast dark skies really mess with my mood, no matter what I try.

A few years ago, I moved to the south and started a new life and a similar business to what I have in Portland. I didn't sever my Portland ties and kept my condo, although I gave away many clients. I was starting to feel settled in my new city, getting my business going... and then the economy imploded. By August 2009, it had gotten so bad that I decided to return to Portland. I tried so hard to make a go of it, and now in hindsight, it's called "the great recession." At the time, we all knew the economy was bad but didn't quite know how bad.

Anyway, after I returned to Portland, I discovered a new-found appreciation for some of the things I previously took for granted -- that the air smells like the mountains (even in the city), the abundance of good Asian food, the scenery, the rivers, and being able to view the city from a high vista. These are all small things, but things I'd missed. I especially missed my friends -- much more than I'd anticipated. (Still hate the weather).

I liked my time in North Carolina, I miss some of the unique things about that state, and miss the friends I made there; however, fate has me back here now, and I'm still seeing Portland through that fresher perspective of having left and returned. I've always loved the South and felt a connection to it. Living there only strengthened that connection, and I'm glad I did it.

You might think about coming back, especially if this is your home. My advice would be to wait until the recession is over. I don't think it is, even though "they" say it is.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 06:12 AM

758 posts, read 1,048,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Really? Which ones? I was up near Shenandoah last year, and headed in again. Wasn't really impressed with that area at all. Strip malls, many of which were half empty. I did drive downtown, and went to a Brazilian place there near the Zoo. It was OK, but nothing too special.

I'd be interested in other areas to visit.
I would agree with your assessment of Shenandoah. I found it bland, and a startling numbers of homes that were just empty (we called em ghost homes). The Woodlands is in much better shape and yes its chain food hell. We did find a small place in The Woodlands that served Thai. Part of a small chain I am guessing not many locations. Over on 59 you have Kingwood, much better selection (for me anyway). Decent non chain Chinese/pan Asian food. We can even get a gluten free pizza right in the community. We have a great food store here that caters to folks with special dietary needs. I have not explored much beyond that. I did do an initial recon of the Bunkerhill area. It is very exclusive, I did not see a lot of chain anything around on my first pass.

For its size Portland really has a lot more non chain options for foods and has more alternative type food places.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:13 AM

4,497 posts, read 5,654,852 times
Ditto, I was born and raised in Ptown and went to college in Bend...I miss the whole state...the ocean, the mountains, the plains, the FOOD - fresh salmon and halibut the list goes on and on

Old 01-26-2012, 02:17 PM

222 posts, read 226,443 times
I didn't have the good fortune to be born and raised here (that was Ohio for me), but I spent most of my adult life living in the south, then in Florida as a result of having to live where a husband wanted to be, but on separating was finally able to choose where I wanted to live. I chose Portland and have no regrets. It is home to me and I want to be here always. A situation/opportunity came up for me a few months ago that might have required my moving away, possibly to the middle of the country, and I know I would have missed Portland terribly. Thankfully that didn't come to pass and now I won't have to leave, so I won't have to miss it like I feared I would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland