U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-20-2011, 06:15 PM
hge hge started this thread

12 posts, read 19,225 times
Question Buy fresh sea food

I am wondering where I can buy fresh (I mean REAL FRESH) sea food and crab. I heard there is Saturday crab eating place in Portland. Where is this place? Is there any “fish man’s” market around Portland or Coast area (such as Newport)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 06:34 PM

6,478 posts, read 5,380,778 times
The big Asian grocery stores will have fresh fish. If you go to Uwajimaya it's still living.

You can also go towards Astoria and pick up fresh salmon and steelhead from people along the road. In Newport you can frequently pick it up off the boat, or from one of the two or three markets in the "old town" district on the river.

While fish seems to be on a lot of menus, it doesn't seem to be really popular in Portland for some reason. The only fish market I knew about closed down many years ago, but places like New Seasons tend to have fairly fresh fish but probably not quite as fresh as you're looking.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:50 PM

13,188 posts, read 9,218,159 times
There is a permanent all year around produce market called Kruger's. It used to be Uncle Paul's. It is on Hawthorne around 24th street. There is a small shop attached to it that advertises as selling fresh fish. I just noticed that today so I don't really know anything about it.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:44 PM

46 posts, read 29,076 times
mio sushi has a retail fish market in industrial north west... google it!

Its mostly whole fish they will butcher...
pretty awesome and clean! bit pricey but well worth it for the quality!

Good luck

Old 09-20-2011, 10:16 PM

6,416 posts, read 4,871,983 times
In the Portland area:
Newman's in NW is a great place.

Pacific Seafood's Powell Street Market is an old-time retail store of the huge company.

Tony's Fish Market in Oregon City is where we used to shop when I was a child, for live crabs.

And just recently read in an Tribune article about this group of tribal fishers (WolfSong Fisheries) who sell fresh salmon, mostly seems at the Parkrose Costco. They announce when and where on their website, apparently.

As for at the coast, they are all over.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:13 PM

2,368 posts, read 1,954,688 times
Quote:
I second Tony's.
Excellent quality, not inexpensive.
For example, it is one of the few places where you can purchase fresh ocean troll caught Spring Chinook in the Spring.
Expect to pay close to $20 a pound (whole fish) though.

Otherwise you have to go out and catch them in the Willamette yourself.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:09 AM

40 posts, read 30,134 times
seafood not popular? That's surprising. How about clam chowder and sour dough bread? Is that popular? Seems it would be common in that area.

Old 09-24-2011, 12:31 PM

6,416 posts, read 4,871,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ami mon View Post
seafood not popular? That's surprising. How about clam chowder and sour dough bread? Is that popular? Seems it would be common in that area.
Consider the source ... they also said there are no seafood markets, which is clearly not accurate. I'm guessing it's not popular with them.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:51 PM

6,478 posts, read 5,380,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Consider the source ... they also said there are no seafood markets, which is clearly not accurate. I'm guessing it's not popular with them.
Everyone I know who wants fresh and good seafood does one of two things. They either catch it and prepare it themselves, or they travel to the Coast.

When I worked in the food industry, the fish was the least ordered item on the menu by a fair margin. We always had to double check it before serving as the stock rotated so slowly. This is despite having had reviews in the Gresham paper that specifically called out the fish dishes as excellent.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:37 PM

13,188 posts, read 9,218,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Everyone I know who wants fresh and good seafood does one of two things. They either catch it and prepare it themselves, or they travel to the Coast.

When I worked in the food industry, the fish was the least ordered item on the menu by a fair margin. We always had to double check it before serving as the stock rotated so slowly. This is despite having had reviews in the Gresham paper that specifically called out the fish dishes as excellent.
Or maybe travel to Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland