U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 10:39 AM

3,042 posts, read 5,750,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cactus Leaguer View Post
Lake Oswego is the nicest inner suburb for sure, but there are upscale neighborhoods in almost every section of the metro area. Part of it depends on your definition of "posh". I'd say the most "posh" areas are in Lake Oswego on the lake itself, and several areas up in the West Hills.

If you are asking the question just out of curiosity, then I would go to a real estate website like Redfin and search the upper end houses for sale. That will give you some idea of where the higher end properties are clustered.

If you are asking because you want to live at or near a posh area, I would start with considering what items are important for you to have in closer proximity (downtown, jobs, transit, airport, schools, beach, mountains, wine country, different types of shopping or restaurants, other countryside, friends, etc.) and then go from there.

For us, we needed to move this past year, and we wanted to live in a very nice but not quite posh area. We weighed a lot of factors and ended up focusing on the south to southwest suburbs of West Linn, Tualatin, Lake Oswego, and Tigard/Bull Mountain. We ended up settling on the southwest section of Tualatin and we love it, it's great for us.

Good luck on your search/quest.
thanks, actually it is both for us-curiousity and also where to live. posh just means a wealthier, or affluent area is all, i am not sure why others assume their are no wealthy areas in portland. It doesnt mean lear jets, limos, etc. In fact most posh places around the country arent like that, but sure they usually surround a country club, good private schools, small local shops and town centres rather than malls or industrial areas, larger homes on more acreage usually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 12:11 PM

351 posts, read 227,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
both of course, there isnt much of a difference in my expereince
So in your experience, there is not much difference between a kid's life growing up in an upper middle-class neighborhood where it is still commonplace for kids to just run next door and play without having to schedule such interactions three weeks in advance, versus a kid's life growing up in a "posh" neighborhood or gated community of estates where it is commonplace for kids to have to schedule play time amidst a calendar chock-full of piano lessons, dance lessons, polo lessons, ski lessons, golf lessons, trips to France, trips to the Caribbean, formal balls, attendance at NFL sporting events, etc.?

Old 09-25-2011, 12:54 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,131,628 times
Quote:
thanks, actually it is both for us-curiousity and also where to live.
Weren't you just complaining yesterday about how expensive Portland is and how you're "struggling"?

I'm starting to smell a troll (and one that can't capitalize at that!).......

Old 09-25-2011, 01:34 PM

29 posts, read 40,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cactus Leaguer View Post
Lake Oswego is the nicest inner suburb for sure, but there are upscale neighborhoods in almost every section of the metro area. Part of it depends on your definition of "posh". I'd say the most "posh" areas are in Lake Oswego on the lake itself, and several areas up in the West Hills.
I can tell you for certain the areas around the actual lake are not 'posh'... I lived in that neighborhood, IMHO the nicest area are the houses on summit drive.

And if this area is the fancy part of town, you should tell the folks who live there. They should start actin snooty... cause right now they are the friendliest and most welcoming folks I have never met more welcoming people in the whole state.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:20 PM

6,416 posts, read 4,810,261 times
Quote:
thanks, actually it is both for us-curiousity and also where to live. posh just means a wealthier, or affluent area is all, i am not sure why others assume their are no wealthy areas in portland. It doesnt mean lear jets, limos, etc. In fact most posh places around the country arent like that, but sure they usually surround a country club, good private schools, small local shops and town centres rather than malls or industrial areas, larger homes on more acreage usually.
I know. It's just insane how all these people who actually live in the city of Portland are so unaware of what's there, and don't acquiesce to the superior knowledge of someone who lives elsewhere.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
I know. It's just insane how all these people who actually live in the city of Portland are so unaware of what's there, and don't acquiesce to the superior knowledge of someone who lives elsewhere.
who lives elsewhere?

Old 09-26-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarLevant View Post
I can tell you for certain the areas around the actual lake are not 'posh'... I lived in that neighborhood, IMHO the nicest area are the houses on summit drive.

And if this area is the fancy part of town, you should tell the folks who live there. They should start actin snooty... cause right now they are the friendliest and most welcoming folks I have never met more welcoming people in the whole state.
why should they act snooty, i dont think any is talking abut snooty. If one asks about the black neighborhood in portland , does one say it has to be violent or drug riddled to be a black community.

posh doesnt mean snooty anymore than white means racist or black means criminal.

stay on the OP, which was Is LO posh(rich, wealthy areas) of portland?

Old 09-26-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickStudy178 View Post
So in your experience, there is not much difference between a kid's life growing up in an upper middle-class neighborhood where it is still commonplace for kids to just run next door and play without having to schedule such interactions three weeks in advance, versus a kid's life growing up in a "posh" neighborhood or gated community of estates where it is commonplace for kids to have to schedule play time amidst a calendar chock-full of piano lessons, dance lessons, polo lessons, ski lessons, golf lessons, trips to France, trips to the Caribbean, formal balls, attendance at NFL sporting events, etc.?
that is my experience growing up and also living in wealthy neighborhoods in SC, PA, NY, RI, TX, FL and central Am. so as a new resident of Portland, i was asking is LO considered a rich, wealthy neighborhood. I just moved here and rented a condo while looking for a permanent home. Im not sure why people are upset at someone asking about the character of a neighborhood. If I asked if other areas were middle class or working class, what would be wrong in that?

Old 09-26-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
Weren't you just complaining yesterday about how expensive Portland is and how you're "struggling"?

I'm starting to smell a troll (and one that can't capitalize at that!).......
I was saying that If people say they was a recession and yet people were struggling, like alot of us. sure, what does struggling have to do with asking about where a posh neighborhood is?? business owners are struggling, people of all social strata are struggling not just the poor.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:24 PM

1,012 posts, read 606,894 times
Portland is not posh. That is part of what is so great about it. Just my humble opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland