Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 03:43 PM

248 posts, read 452,039 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks,

My story, as short as possible, is that I am originally from the Mid-Atlantic and realized that every possible chance I got, I was visiting somewhere in the Pacific Northwest. So about eight years ago my family moved to Eugene. We had visited several times and thought we would be comfortable there. Well, years later and Eugene is still not "home" and quite honestly I'm wondering if it will ever be that for us.

What doesn't work for us with Eugene:
-Oregon Ducks - we are not sports people and quite honestly often feel like we've been dropped into a world 30,000 years ago with all of the tribalism. Almost the same thing with UofO; no we are not Ducks. Much of my personal beliefs deal with the hope that if we would concentrate as beings on what we have in common the world would be better overall.

-Eugene is looking grungier as the years go by and maybe this is just a symptom of the economy but more and more I avoid entire areas of town. That's great if you live in a big town with lots to do but not so great when you're dealing with small town limitations.

-The political divide. Nothing gets done. The West Eugene Parkway - not happening. The Civic Stadium debacle, Whole Foods, etc, etc. No improvements and god forbid one of the old hippies business' are in danger of facing some competition. When Whole Foods was going to put a store downtown, the owner of Sundance actually wrote a letter to the Editor stating that he should be reimbursed for every dollar lost if they are allowed to come into town. I guess I am green and also want people, all people, to have the best quality of life possible.

-A farmer's market that is affordable. Example, the other day I went to the market and zucchini where 1.25 more per pound at the outside farmer's market than they were in the health food grocery store. This is just one example but I can honestly say that I could not afford to buy my veggies all from the farmer's market.

-And now the schools are severely crippled. They actually have been for several years and it's getting rapidly worse. My child's class sizes have been off the charts since 1st grade. 28 kids - 1st Grade, 2nd Grade - 30 kids, 3rd Grade 31 kids, 4th Grade - 33 kids, up to 35 kids in 5th Grade.

We love the McKenzie area, the easy drive to the Coast and other nearby hiking areas. We love the emphasis on buying local but many times we feel that we're getting ripped off.

We have visited Portland many times and my only real complaint has been the traffic and much of that could be because I don't know my way around very well and rely to heavily on my GPS. Is Portland different enough from Eugene for us? I haven't lived in Portland though and I realized after I moved here that you really don't know a place until you live there.

Thanks for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 04:00 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,438,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soarswitheagles View Post
-And now the schools are severely crippled. They actually have been for several years and it's getting rapidly worse. My child's class sizes have been off the charts since 1st grade. 28 kids - 1st Grade, 2nd Grade - 30 kids, 3rd Grade 31 kids, 4th Grade - 33 kids, up to 35 kids in 5th Grade.
That doesn't seem so bad. That's about the size of my grade school classes in the 80's. Some in Portland are inching to the 50 range now.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:48 PM

Okay, I guess I need to do some more research. I thought that Oregon had excellent public schools (or so I read before we moved to the State) and that the education gurus usually agree that smaller class size was better for children.

Old 09-30-2011, 05:08 PM

3 posts, read 3,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soarswitheagles View Post
Okay, I guess I need to do some more research. I thought that Oregon had excellent public schools (or so I read before we moved to the State) and that the education gurus usually agree that smaller class size was better for children.
Oregon does have some good schools, but not a lot.

Smaller classes are better for children, but many of the schools that have small classrooms are very low budget. I went to a 1A school and the teachers had more time for each student. Unfortunately, they had cut all elective classes except PE, AG., shop, and home EC.

Old 09-30-2011, 05:39 PM

758 posts, read 2,371,674 times
"I thought that Oregon had excellent public schools..."

Twenty years ago, we did - just as forty years ago, California was the educational model of the world.

Then something happened.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:42 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,143,960 times
Involved parents are what's good for children's education.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:42 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
I did not think that 35 was particularly large so I googled Oregon's class sizes and came up with this among other articles.

Oregon class sizes: Still 4th largest in the nation | OregonLive.com

We rank as having schools with the 4th highest class size in the nation. I attended school in inner city Chicago with class sizes in the 40's back in the 50's and 60's when Chicago was considered to have one of the best public school systems. We received a great education from dedicated teachers and involved parents.

I agree with EnricoV that parental involvement is what's good for a child's education.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:13 AM

I totally agree with parental involvement in the schools. My partner and I are both involved in our child's education. We help in the classroom, assist on field trips and help with grading papers and such at home. We also are actively involved with my daughter's learning and enrich what is happening at the school.

That being said I started this thread to hopefully get some more information about living in Portland.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:22 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,143,960 times
Okay. I disregarded most of your original post, as it was all about Eugene, which I don't have much experience of.

My impression of the two is that Eugene is very much a small town, while Portland is a city. Smallish, though. Eugene feels more backwater to me, apart from the College aspect. And with that, it's just a rowdy college town. But again, I've only visited. Not lived there.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:13 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
I have only visited Eugene so I cannot comment about living there but I wonder what you are looking for in Portland.

For example you mention Whole Foods. Are you seeking a place that has them? Portland does much to the dislike of many of us who saw them push out the local and far less expensive ma and pa stores.

Schoolroom class sizes which will not be smaller than the ones in Eugene.

We have lots of farmer's markets in Portland but they are not necessarily inexpensive. I usually cannot afford the prices. It depends upon the market and what they are selling.

Our political leaders leave a lot to be desired to. A lot.

But of course Portland has more to offer because it is a larger city. It has a public transportation system that is good for commuting, lots of green parks, very convenient and walkable neighborhoods, food carts, shopping of all kinds, entertainment and many activities for all interests.

It appears to me though, that some of the things you mention you do not like about Eugene are also prevalent in Portland. So you have to be careful you are not going from the frying pan to the fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland