U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-29-2011, 01:00 PM

400 posts, read 723,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bpurrfect View Post
section 8 and other HUD renters have a unit inspection every single year. it has to conform to cleanliness, etc standards as well as being properly repaired
Not quite what I wanted to say. I meant that housing contract should allow police to bring in a drug sniffing dog WITHOUT a warrant for section 8 housing.

Much like you must allow searching of your belongings as they see fit when you board a plane. You can choose to not fly or submit to search.

Same principle can be applied to gov't housing tenants. They can apply to live on government subsidy and submit to consent to search or not live on subsidy.

Quote:
There's danger in trying to equate human worth by money or how many taxes they pay. that's fascism. we don't need it. There are plenty of people drawing government disability checks, who do contribute greatly to the benefit of society, but they don't get paid any salary for it.
How do you "measure" the contribution?

Quote:
And I know of one disabled homeless person, who got back in touch with his assets after he had a head injury and friends helped him after several years... he is worth millions.
Many of us can be fallible to anecdotes.

Quote:
In fact if many of the downtrodden got legal help, they would end up with some of the wealth of those who victimized them in the first place... and sent them into destitution.
They do get legal help when attorneys feel that taking on their case on contingency is case worthy, meaning that they'd end up with wealth that could pay off the legal fee. If you're so certain they will, why don't you advance the fee upfront for them, out of your OWN pocket or take out an equity loan on your property to do so?

Quote:
extension of statute of limitations for civil liability.
You mean elimination of personal accountability? "poor" shouldn't be a waiver for liability aside from medical bills. There should be no waiver for fees arising from at-fault events, such as defaulted credit card bills, medical bills you incurred to others from harming someone, etc.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 04:42 PM

474 posts, read 678,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechmanOR View Post
Not quite what I wanted to say. I meant that housing contract should allow police to bring in a drug sniffing dog WITHOUT a warrant for section 8 housing.

Much like you must allow searching of your belongings as they see fit when you board a plane. You can choose to not fly or submit to search.

Same principle can be applied to gov't housing tenants. They can apply to live on government subsidy and submit to consent to search or not live on subsidy.

How do you "measure" the contribution?

Many of us can be fallible to anecdotes.

They do get legal help when attorneys feel that taking on their case on contingency is case worthy, meaning that they'd end up with wealth that could pay off the legal fee. If you're so certain they will, why don't you advance the fee upfront for them, out of your OWN pocket or take out an equity loan on your property to do so?

You mean elimination of personal accountability? "poor" shouldn't be a waiver for liability aside from medical bills. There should be no waiver for fees arising from at-fault events, such as defaulted credit card bills, medical bills you incurred to others from harming someone, etc.
no, I mean that people should have ongoing accountability when it involved harm and impoverishment to their victim. Instead of NOT having any accountability after a couple years, even though the victim may be terribly done in for life, unable to advocate for themselves in a timely manner, etc.

oh? you really believe in the horrible unconstitutional search provisions of the Patriot Act ? about the most unpatriotic bill ever passed.... and they are trying to prevent planes from being bombed, so they say, though even a more endangered Israel doesn't use such stupid and costly tactics. So you are stereotyping people who receive benefits as a bunch of druggies? you're so ignorant, and so far from the mark here.... granny and that guy in the wheelchair, should have this done? they are the majority of benefit recipients. Should people treat your grandmother that way? Because they would. in fact, you are dissing other people's grandmothers.

anecdotes? i helped the millionnaire originally setup his banking decades ago, so I knew him off and on for decades. I know that he is worth much more now. So I stated a fact i am privy to.

People automatically get attorneys who can take on a case or know a strategy for them? ohhhh realllly. there's proof of ignorance! it takes a lot of doing to get good attorneys who will do it right, and who aren't overbooked, etc. many disabled have NO knowledge of the legal system, their right, etc, which people have to have some clue of before they can even get started. They also have to know what to say to the atty's to spark their interest, but most don't know how to do this.

one of my main points, is that being down on the downtrodden, is not an intelligent thing to do. since we don't often know who these downtrodden are, or what their future holds, IF they survive. some do indeed pull out of it, usually by one form of help or another, and go on to fulfill life works. Valuable, even priceless, life works. That is one reason why the downtrodden should be allowed and helped to survive, not die in the streets like you seem to think they should do. Besides the fact that people simply have inherent value as humans, and should have basic rights upheld, such as the right to life, which requires shelter for one thing. !

Another reason is that to simply let people die of poverty in a wealthy nation is simply an inhuman and evil thing to, and I frankly would never want that kind of cold callous attitude. Things tend to come back on us, and I know of many many people who used to think that hardnosed presumptive way, and they are now on the receiving end of that mentality, as they had a reversal of fortune with total losses of jobs, health, home, etc.

"God sends the rain upon the just, and the unjust." Meaning, that for those whose character is such that they really deserve their crops to grow, in God's eyes (having nothing to do with their dollar earning capacity), God also "rains on" or enriches even the wicked, for the sake of those UN-wicked people who will benefit thereby.
And in the meantime techman, rest assured that, wicked or not, those same benefits of the very holey safety net, will be there for YOU also, when you have your reversal of fortune.

Last edited by 2bpurrfect; 10-29-2011 at 05:22 PM..

Old 10-29-2011, 07:34 PM

1,900 posts, read 2,706,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
I hear they want to move their camp into the Pearl District.
Ha.
I'll bet when they tick off some the more influential "moneyed" Portland residents, City Hall's outlook on Occupy Portland will change drastically.
They tried, but they were arrested. According to Randy Leonard, it wasn't done because of the 1 percenters living in the Pearl, it was done for the single mothers.

"But Leonard told KGW Friday night he knows of a lot of single mothers who are raising kids in studio apartments in the Pearl. He said they are frightened by the protesters."

The whole story:
'Occupy Portland' moves to Pearl; 2 arrested, 4 cited at camp | kgw.com Portland

Old 10-29-2011, 11:38 PM

58 posts, read 58,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
They tried, but they were arrested. According to Randy Leonard, it wasn't done because of the 1 percenters living in the Pearl, it was done for the single mothers.

"But Leonard told KGW Friday night he knows of a lot of single mothers who are raising kids in studio apartments in the Pearl. He said they are frightened by the protesters."

The whole story:
'Occupy Portland' moves to Pearl; 2 arrested, 4 cited at camp | kgw.com Portland
Sounds fairly legitimate so far as safety for children. On the other hand I highly doubt that the Portland government would act simply because mothers didnít want their kids exposed to the stupid hippies. If the 1% as they are called had not complained, nothing would have been done.

All I can say is...to hell with the stupid hippies (tea party morons too if they join, they are essentially mad about the same thing) and may all the super powerful corporations fall while their selfish owners/CEOs and their families burn in hell.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:33 AM

87 posts, read 19,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRain View Post
Its ok to be weird, but just don't try too hard to be.. I think if people naturally have it in them like I do, its better because they can be different without going out nude in the streets and squatting on flags.. I know Portland is looking for more transplants who have something different to offer than these typical weirdos that come who want to panhandle and smoke pot all the time. If your wondering if its possible for someone to be weird in Portland without smoking a lot of pot and banging on drums and yelling in the streets, well meet one who intends to be who actually has something to offer with his sanity in tact.
yes, indeed

Old 10-30-2011, 09:34 AM

87 posts, read 19,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorfan63 View Post
I had somebody send this to me. Not sure why, but thought it would be relevant here:

True Face of Occupy Portland 2011 - YouTube
nothing more real than real life...these people look great

Last edited by sahhen1; 10-30-2011 at 09:34 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 10-30-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahhen1 View Post
nothing more real than real life...these people look great
The video is about: occupy Portland. Just as reported by mainstream media, I see disorderly conduct, harassment, disturbance of peace, drug activity, trafficking of controlled substances, public intoxication among other criminal mischief.

I don't know where these people got the idea that park is an appropriate place to deal drugs.

Old 10-30-2011, 03:29 PM

2,369 posts, read 1,962,237 times
IMHO, the appearance and actions of the protesters made Occupy Portland and OWS loose alot of credibility with a lot of people.

I know it's probably a small percentage of the people there acting like that, but in many peoples eyes, it's gone beyond "protest" and turned into something that is no longer being taken seriously.

My neighbor is predicting that OP will sputter out within the next two weeks at most, turning into another "homeless rights" protest.
Just in time for winter and the need for shelter, it will be the start of the west side Dignity Village.
If you read Karlsch's KGW link above it's already starting.
Go to the site read the story and don't miss the comments.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 10-30-2011 at 03:47 PM..

Old 10-30-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
IMHO, the appearance and actions of the protesters made Occupy Portland and OWS loose alot of credibility with a lot of people.

I know it's probably a small percentage of the people there acting like that, but in many peoples eyes, it's gone beyond "protest" and turned into something that is no longer being taken seriously.

My neighbor is predicting that OP will sputter out within the next two weeks at most, turning into another "homeless rights" protest.
Just in time for winter and the need for shelter, it will be the start of the west side Dignity Village.
If you read Karlsch's KGW link above it's already starting.
Go to the site read the story and don't miss the comments.

Time to respond by reducing allocation of county funding for bums, then start enforcing every little code violation imaginable for private groups that attract homeless.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:05 PM

2,369 posts, read 1,962,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechmanOR View Post
Time to respond by reducing allocation of county funding for bums, then start enforcing every little code violation imaginable for private groups that attract homeless.
Serious or sarcastic, you can't deny what has caused the implosion of the credibility of Occupy Portland.
The ideals of OP are fast becoming forgotten, while all the public now sees is a "free for all" (in more ways than one) homeless and hippy party disquised as a political movement which is no longer being taken seriously.

Time for a radical change of venue and some PR advice if you want to keep it alive.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 10-30-2011 at 04:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland