Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2011, 09:19 AM

323 posts, read 321,541 times

Advertisements

They both seem like decent and two one the better high schools in the area for public schools.
The average class size is roughly 30 student per class, which I consider a bit high, but can't afford Jesuit or Catlin Gable.
If you had to choose one of them, which one would you choose and why?
IB and Ab classes are important as well as athletics, academics, low bullying,
low substance abuse use, and overall safe school. Is this possible at these schools.
I love to send my kids to Lake Oswego HS, but will be relocating near Hillsboro.
Any feedback to greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 09:39 AM

682 posts, read 1,578,281 times
Westview has better (newer) facilities, Sunset has (slightly) better demographics. Both are EXCELLENT overall. Not sure who has the better AP courses. Can't go wrong either way IMHO.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:07 AM

47 posts, read 121,414 times
Westview has AP and Sunset IB. Westview is where all the smart Summa middle schools kids go.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:12 PM

Thank you Cactus Leaguer & bkk1057 for the feedback. This does help and my next question would be if you had to choose one or the other which one would you send you kids to and why.
Also which of the two has a better sports program. Mainly their boys soccer program.
Thank you.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:22 PM

159 posts, read 344,196 times
Funny you should ask about their soccer programs, although my knowledge is about their girls programs. My granddaughter is a soccer star and last year, when in 8th grade, she was deciding which of those two high schools to attend. She was drawn to Westview by their outstanding girls soccer program, but finally decided on Sunset because that's where all her friends are going. I don't think she's going to play on their school team but she plays on an AAU U19 co-ed team. She's only 14 and that's how good she is.

Oh yeah, she was also voted a homecoming princess this past week. Yes - I like to brag about my grandchildren.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:51 PM

Which is better, Advanced Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate (IB)? Do colleges find one more impressive over the other?
In my opinion, both the AP and IB programs are equally valuable, in that the exams associated with those courses provide an external measure of quality. Any student who does well on the end-of-course assessments associated with either program can genuinely claim to have done college work in a high school setting.
The structures of the two programs are very different, however. Think of AP and IB this way: AP is a smorgasbord: pick the courses you want, leave behind those that tempt you less. IB, by contrast, is a “prix fixe” menu: you get all or nothing. There is a range of choice within IB, but the entire high school curriculum is dictated by those initial choices.
The fact is that highly competitive AP students are taking 6, 7, 10 AP courses and doing well on the exams (scores of 4 or 5 out of five possible points). Likewise, highly competitive IB students are not only taking the IB courses, but are scoring 5, 6, or 7s (out of seven) on the diploma tests. However, there are also plenty of students who take lots of AP courses who do not do well on the exams (many do not even take them!). Similarly, there are students in IB programs who are unlikely to fulfill all the requirements of the IB diploma.
As to whether colleges prefer AP or IB? Colleges like them both. Both programs represent tough curricular requirements. But in the end, it’s all about the student’s performance: did they perform at the very top of the scale for either program? Did they pass the independently administered exams with flying colors? If so, colleges will be heavily recruiting those students—regardless of the AP or IB label.
One thing parents (and students) ought to keep in mind as they look at schools and at individual teachers: ask about their pass rate. That is, ask what percentage of students enrolled in these programs take and pass (or get perfect scores) on the AP or IB assessments? The answer to this question will be a better indicator of program quality than the label. I have several clients who are getting very high grades in AP courses, but who will never be able to pass the AP exams. Their teachers are simply not up to the job of presenting such a demanding curriculum and helping students achieve to the standards set by that curriculum.
So to reiterate, both the AP and IB programs are excellent preparation for college, and the colleges seek out students to excel in either environment. Students and teachers should look beyond the labels to ask about the quality of the programs on offer. Just as we don’t judge books by their cover, we should not judge a program by its label.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:41 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
Organicgreen's observations are spot on. My daughter attended a high school with an IB program, they also had AP classes. She is bright, I asked her why she didn't enroll in the IB program. She said she didn't want to work THAT hard (dropping out of anything was not an option for her). As a result she had time for swim team, rally squad, dance and speech team - time to develop life skills in addition academic. Her SATs were excellent, she went on to attend a very good university.

She can master any subject matter she puts her mind to but what has made a difference in her professional success are her presentation and people skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: