Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 10:56 AM

8 posts, read 9,017 times

Advertisements

I am examining the option of moving from Tampa, Florida to the Portland/Vancouver area. I've visited the area and I liked it.

I enjoy camping and hiking so I think the climate would be a better fit for my tastes than Florida. Hiking and camping is only possible in the winter months here.

Beaches are nice but after 43 years, I've lost interest. I can't sit in the sun anymore because of recurring skin cancers so I try to avoid the beaches as much as possible.

The job market in Tampa is lousy, but that is true for most of the country.

I'm not looking for much because I will probably be retiring in about 10 more years. Family is grown and on their own. One of them lives in the Portland area hence my interest in living there.

Other than the rain, what are some of the negatives of living there? Is there an active 55+ community? How is the pay scale and cost of living? If you don't like it there, why? If you like it there, why? Can one find a decent place to live in a good section of town for a reasonable price, say about 1k a month or less?

I enjoyed the wineries and breweries while I was there. Seems to be a good place for a foodie.

The area seems to be progressive, much more so than Florida. What is your opinion of the politics there?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 11:43 AM

122 posts, read 202,583 times
I don't currently live there (I'm in Seattle) but grew up in the Vancouver area. Lots of places to hike just east of Vancouver. Check out Beacon Rock State Park. There are other places on the Oregon side, too, especially near Mt. Hood. Fantastic views of the Columbia River Gorge with waterfalls. There's also Forest Park in Portland...something like 40+ miles of trails but it's not necessarily wilderness, more like an urban park.

My family still lives in the area and I visit frequently. Seems housing prices are pretty reasonable (by Seattle standards) but I'm not sure how the earnings compare. I imagine it's comparable. If you are looking to buy a home, take a look at the Windermere real estate website. They list everything that has an MLS number, regardless of listing agency. Vancouver is much cheaper but it's spread out so walkability takes a hit.

Alberta and Mississippi neighborhoods are bustling and have some pretty darn tasty breweries nearby. Try one of the McMennamin's or Amnesia brewing. Food trucks are everywhere in Alberta so that's kinda fun.

The summers are warm, if not a bit short and the winters are chilly but sounds like that's more of what you want. I can't handle it myself and am considering a move to warmer, dryer climes. Be prepared to wear a rain jacket and or fleece.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:07 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,434,579 times
Work in Vancouver, live in Vancouver. Work in Portland, Live in Portland.

The commute across the I-5 bridge is only going to get worse, doubly so when the Columbia River Crossing starts getting built. (If it starts getting built.) Then once it's built you'll need to worry about the new toll across it, because Oregon and Washington haven't figured out how to actually fully pay for it yet.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:15 AM

@hamellr--Typical government stuff. Same problems exist in Tampa. They are supposed to widen a large section of the interstate going through downtown Tampa. They did a small part of it before the recession hit so there it sits.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:22 AM

Default Finding an apartment in Portland.

Is it possible to find a decent 1 bedroom apartment in a fairly quiet neighborhood for less than 1k a month? How are the Portland/Vancouver suburbs?

Old 10-03-2011, 10:48 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,138,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcmptr View Post
Is it possible to find a decent 1 bedroom apartment in a fairly quiet neighborhood for less than 1k a month? How are the Portland/Vancouver suburbs?
Sure. Even more so in the suburbs. Pretty much anywhere in the Portland area is acceptable to live. Finding the right place just depends on how convenient it is to what you want to do and where you want to go.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:52 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
One bedroom apartments in convenient and popular neighborhoods run around $900-$1000 plus. It just depends upon what you are looking for and your needs. The farther out you go the less expensive but you may sacrifice convenience for cost.

Old 10-09-2011, 02:03 PM

29 posts, read 80,622 times
A big plus: the bugs are smaller and fewer in number.

What kind of work do you do? Some cummutes are much easier than others. I live in south Beaverton, and cummute to Salem to work evening shift. That's a 100-mile round trip, but the traffic is so light that it's pretty painless.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:45 AM

Don't want to do long commutes any more.

I work as an IS Field Services technician for a large hospital chain in Tampa/St. Pete.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:14 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,434,579 times
The Vancouver Clinic was hiring IT guys a year ago. The Vancouver Clinic

Also, OHSU seems to always be hiring people, but from friends who've worked there, it's not the greatest environment for IT people. Plus the parking is non-existent.

I compiled a list of Twitter RSS feeds (http://www.hamell.net/2009/09/job-searching-in-portland/ - broken link) a couple of years ago to help with my own job search. Hopefully some of these might help you out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland