Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 03:37 PM

4 posts, read 7,250 times

Advertisements

Husband and I just went down to the dmv on 82nd and they said it costs $231 to get our car's title transferred over from PA to OR. How is this possible? Is there some way to get this cheaper?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 04:08 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azi903 View Post
Husband and I just went down to the dmv on 82nd and they said it costs $231 to get our car's title transferred over from PA to OR. How is this possible? Is there some way to get this cheaper?
You sure that's not the whole title, registration and license all added together?

Old 10-20-2011, 04:20 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,454,667 times
I bought a Washington car and titled, DEQ'd, registered, plated, and did all the stuff to get it legal in Oregon.
It cost right around 300 bucks after everything was said and done.
Look up Oregon DMV on the web, the fee schedules are all right there for you to see.
Call them and talk to them, they are very helpful over the phone.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:59 PM

It's definitely not the licensing included. That's an additional $120 for the both of us.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:02 PM

117 posts, read 274,423 times
all the fee info is available online...

Oregon DMV Vehicle Title, Registration & Permit Fees

keep in mind, when you register a car in Oregon the tags are good for two years, not one like most states.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:29 PM

780 posts, read 1,577,217 times
Quote:
Well, not sure exactly where you got $231 from, but we paid something similar to that when we moved here from Ohio in June. Here is an itemized list (this is all for an ordinary passenger vehicle & class C license):

DEQ emissions test - $21.00: you go to the DEQ to get this done before going to the DMV.

Now head to the DMV...
Oregon title - $77.00
Oregon registration - $86.00 (good for 2 years)
Oregon plates - $23.00
Total - $186.00.

And if you plan to change you driver's license:
Written test - $5.00
Drivers License - $60.00 (good for 8 (yes, 8!) years)

The grand total for me, to completely change everything over for one person & one vehicle was $292.00. That's $20 higher than the total above, because I opted for Crater Lake plates, which carry the $20 surcharge.

To answer your question: No, it's not possible to get it cheaper.

Some notes when redoing everything:
- the written test is not just common sense. Take the practice tests online. Expect odd questions - like what to do when you come upon a horse with it's riders' hand in the air.
- make absolutely certain you have every document you need before going to the DMV. The waits are agonizingly long at times, and you don't want to have to do it twice (or more).
- the DMV does NOT take credit cards. Also, the DEQ will not take a credit card if it is not signed & that signature is legible. I just used cash - so much easier.

Check out the website Dom1964 gave you. I helped you pinpoint costs, but you'll still want to read that site for further details.

On the plus side - Ohio's driver's licenses were only good for 4 years and registration was annually, so at least you don't have to deal w/this again for at least two years. I've been told that renewals can be done via mail, but I haven't had a chance to confirm that.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:57 PM

Thanks for all the comments. The clerk at the DMV came up with the 231$ that's not including the DEQ costs or the driver licensing. Shouldn't ours then be the same as yours, wanderbygrace?

Old 10-20-2011, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the comments. The clerk at the DMV came up with the 231$ that's not including the DEQ costs or the driver licensing. Shouldn't ours then be the same as yours, wanderbygrace?
If that is solely for one passenger vehicle (e.g. sedan, minivan, etc.), then it should be exactly $186.00 for the new title, registration & tree plates. Not sure how they got to $231 - I just looked at the website, and all the fees are still the same as when I was there this summer.

PS: If you need any kind specialty title or dont' have your old title, it could be more. I had all the paperwork in place the first time.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:13 PM

ok. thanks! great help, and so fast!!!

Old 10-20-2011, 11:15 PM

Quote:
ok. thanks! great help, and so fast!!!
I love C-D. This forum was an immense help when I moved here after living my entire life in Ohio. I like to give back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland