Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2007, 02:17 PM

74 posts, read 198,941 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I was hoping anyone could give me more info on family friendly neighborhoods in the city.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 03:02 PM

116 posts, read 614,119 times
If you could narrow down some of your personal preferences, it would make it much easier to recommend some nice areas? Are you interested in more of an urban setting, or suburbs? What about price range? Age of children? Interestest? Architectural style of homes and overall vibe?

I have a two year old son, with another baby on the way, and I have found Portland to be the most kid friendly place I ever could have imagined. There are many excellent areas in all price ranges where a family with children can really thrive.

Old 08-23-2007, 04:39 PM

I would prefer more of a Suburban setting, our price range is 250 to 350k. My son is 3 years old. I would love a grocery store nearby and a park to bring my son to. Everthing else I could drive or take transportation. I want a kind of neighborhood where my son can play in the street, and young kids frequent the sidewalks.

Architecture doesn't really matter much.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:32 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,628,121 times
If you're looking in Portland then I'd check out Sellwood and West Moreland!!
They're great neighborhoods for kids.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:02 PM

Is Sellwood in the West also? I would like to do a property search, but I have to chose a specific direction.

Any other recommendations?

Old 08-24-2007, 01:21 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,628,121 times
Sellwood is in SE Portland, about as south as you can get and still be in Portland. It used to be a working class area with lots of craftsman homes that has become a neighborhood with a lot of young families, older single adults, retirees, etc. It's gotten fairly upscale but not in a snobby way--hard to explain. There is a big community feeling there and a lot of nice people. It has tons of little shops and basically West Moreland and Sellwood are just divided by a street. I used to work in the neighborhood and there are kids all over the place, several parks, a pool, nice grocery store, a library branch, people tend to know each other, you can walk everywhere, etc. The only "bad" part is that public transport is just "ok" in the area. You can definitely get around by bus but it's not as convenient to as in other areas. However, with the community center, parks, library storytimes, etc. most people with kids have plenty to do without even leaving the area and it's a very safe place. I dropped my wallet in the street one night and someone brought it into where I worked the next day with everything intact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: