Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 03:32 PM

69 posts, read 172,449 times

Advertisements

I've read a few comments about the lack of "political balance" and societal one-sidedness in the Portland area. Can someone explain these comments and paint me an accurate picture of the political and social environment there? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 05:12 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
Liberal politics dominate the city.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:20 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,030,541 times
And conservative values are more prevalent in the suburban areas of the metropolitan area.

So it depends on whether it's the city central, or the metropolitan area that you are curious about.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:28 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,197,332 times
As it is known for, Oregon is typically more liberal. Here are some basic voting statistics: Oregon Presidential Election Voting History

Also: "For the first half of the 20th century, Oregon was the most consistently Republican west coast state.[5] In 1954, the upset of incumbent Republican Senator Guy Cordon by Democrat Richard L. Neuberger, along with Democratic wins in the U.S. House and statewide races and pickups of 14 and two seats in the state House and Senate, respectively, signaled a strong shift towards the Democratic Party.[5]"

Politics of Oregon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oregon is also named the 4th most liberal state.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:18 PM

69 posts, read 172,449 times
Thanks for explaining, everyone. I'm guessing from this that Milwaukie and Oregon City would be more conservative than anything closer in to the Portland metro area. Would that be a safe assumption?

Old 11-04-2011, 12:51 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,893,390 times
This is from an email exchange today from a work colleague of my partner- she responding to his question as to whether she still likes Portland- he shared it with me because we are such huge fans of the city and have friends and relatives in the nicest neighborhoods, Hollywood, Sellwood and Nob Hill/23rd St., whenever we go we think that we want to move there- of course the economy in the city basically precludes that but, hearing this also would make us think twice. We live in probably the best neighborhood here (basically having the best attributes of all the neighborhoods mentioned above) so maybe we'll stay here and continue to visit the city we love.

"Speaking of moving ... I am no longer enamored with Portland. The dreary months don't bother me nearly as much as the political environment and the attitude. Portland has a hand-out mentality, which exacerbates the whole "land of no ambition" issue. I'm more of a "teach a man to fish" person than a "give a man a fish" person. I could go on about it, but I won't. OK, maybe just a little. I'm tired of taggers and gangs and nothing being done to curb the activity. I'm tired of short-sidedness that results in the home owner being squeezed to pay for all things for all people. I'm tired of people who demonize plastic grocery bags while smoking like chimneys and throwing their butts all over the ground (everyone smokes here - it's disgusting!). I'm tired of hippies who think you should reason with the out of control five year old child. I'm tired of junkies who have better phones and phone plans than I can afford, living in heavily subsidized housing and getting free bus passes, while not contributing to society at all. I'm tired of cyclists who don't believe any rules do or should apply to them. Yes, Portland is beautiful, particularly in the spring and early fall, and the people are largely friendly (albeit also largely unmotivated and oft irresponsible), and the city has great public transit to make up for the lack of parking. I'll give it that. But I'll never be a Portlander. Another lovely place to visit, but not to live. Still looking for my home."

One perspective to be sure, but from what I read/hear while lurking from time to time, a perspective shared by others.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:51 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,823,925 times
Depending on where you are coming from, you might find Oregon's version of "conservative" a bit different - there is definitely a libertarian or sort of laissez-faire bent to Oregon politics, on both left and right, and a far smaller number of religious conservatives than in other places (like, say, the US South). While there ARE religion-based conservative movements in Oregon, the various churches here aren't the dominating force as they are in other places (where they make up a larger percentage of the population).

Old 11-04-2011, 01:03 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,823,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
(everyone smokes here - it's disgusting!).
No, that is wrong - Oregon's something like 10th or 11th on the list of states with the lowest % of smokers and the smoking rate is higher outside Portland than it is in Portland. Unless, of course, the comparison with with larger California cities, which are 2nd or 3rd on the list.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:14 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,893,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
No, that is wrong - Oregon's something like 10th or 11th on the list of states with the lowest % of smokers and the smoking rate is higher outside Portland than it is in Portland. Unless, of course, the comparison with with larger California cities, which are 2nd or 3rd on the list.
I believe she is probably referring mostly to all the street urchins crowding the plazas and parks there always asking for a handout while smoking away with cigs now $6.00 a pack.

Old 11-04-2011, 04:26 PM

758 posts, read 2,371,449 times
Oregon has an independent, common sense streak, generally. Other than that, Portland and environs are like most larger American cities: Left-leaning, less so in the suburbs. The right side of town is more industrial than the left side (electronics/healthcare) and they tend to be that way politically as well. Milwaukie and Oregon City are mostly working-class neighborhoods that probably go right down the middle. I'm sure you could dig for actual stats though at Clackamas County website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland