Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 06:18 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times

Advertisements

I have worked with longshoremen. You do not want to make them mad. But I wonder if the Occupiers realize they may be in over their heads here.

Occupy effort targets West Coast ports | The Columbian

Old 12-09-2011, 01:05 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,138,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Um, no. The thread is/was about Occupy Portland. If someone wants to talk about groups elsewhere, they should go to the appropriate forum.
Um, thanks. My point was, it's not here.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:10 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,434,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I have worked with longshoremen. You do not want to make them mad. But I wonder if the Occupiers realize they may be in over their heads here.

Occupy effort targets West Coast ports | The Columbian
It'll be interesting either way.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:18 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,450,202 times
Longshoremen have said they oppose this OWS action and can't and won't participate.

I'll bet only 20 people will show up because there won't be a dance party and it's cold outside.

The Occupy movement has pretty much failed at everything they have tried, this won't be any different.

From the article:

Quote:
Brad Clark, president of ILWU Local 4 in Vancouver, said the union supports the broader goals of the Occupy movement but “this tactic does not further anybody’s cause.” He said ports are one of the few employers offering good, middle-class jobs. Ports are publicly owned, he said, adding, “They’re not Wall Street.”
Clark’s position echoes those of ILWU leaders who’ve recently been quoted by other media outlets saying they do not back the Occupy movement’s port initiative.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 12-09-2011 at 11:29 AM..

Old 12-10-2011, 08:16 AM

5,456 posts, read 8,169,998 times
[Sam] “Adams told Reuters this week in an interview at City Hall in Portland that the movement had lost its focus........... Adams at one point used Twitter to call an Occupy event a 'dance party in a public space.'”

Read the whole thing here: Liberal Portland mayor emerges as Occupy critic | Reuters

Old 12-10-2011, 01:50 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
Its sort of obvious that the 'movement' has lost momentum given the setbacks experienced. Determining whether it has lost 'focus' or whether it is 'done' is harder and maybe premature. I am trying to understand, however, all this preaching to the choir. Its clear that the majority of posters here never believed in the movement in the first place. Is this what is known sometimes as "gloating"? Ok, so be it, sometimes gloaters have to eat crow though.

H (vive le resistance)

Old 12-10-2011, 03:21 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
From what I have read, Union leaders here support the message but do not support the Occupy tactics on the docks because it will prevent people from working on the days the Occupies are being staged. And for many if not most people, a day's loss of wages can mean a lot.

This makes sense. Why punish the 99% for the 1%?

Old 01-01-2012, 11:48 PM

403 posts, read 867,130 times
Our longshoreman here in Longview are drunkin' twits. The ilwu president went to oakland fussing & whiing about EGT (the port left them out of the contract w egt basically, EGT refuses to hire only ilwu), he got noticed, then the occupiers said they are coming here when they protest at the ports. Cauffman said he doesn't support a work stoppage or protest here (mind you this is after courts fined ilwu $300k for their crappy thug behavior). When ilwu had a "rally" in town many businesses closed early due to past history of their behavior, ilwu mocked many of these places for that wise choice. What happens? OWS Comes here, the ilwu says they are not working for their own safety. Oh please. Then what happens? Cauffman is caught buying STARBUCKS ( you know, patronizing a big corp) to take to the OWS at the port, yet was too dangerous to work? Hypocrites.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:35 AM

403 posts, read 867,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
From what I have read, Union leaders here support the message but do not support the Occupy tactics on the docks because it will prevent people from working on the days the Occupies are being staged. And for many if not most people, a day's loss of wages can mean a lot.

This makes sense. Why punish the 99% for the 1%?
Longshoreman were paid a min of 4hrs for that day.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:38 PM

7 posts, read 12,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
I couldn't stay up last night to watch coverage of the midnight deadline for Occupy Portland to vacate the parks. So I tuned in this morning at 5:30 to see how events had unfolded. I'm so proud of how things were handled on both sides. There were a few short, dicey moments but for the most part it was a peaceful night and now many of the occupiers are gone and the ones remaining are starting a huge cleanup effort. I'm so impressed with the restraint shown by the police. It could have gone so bad so fast, but it didn't. I'm proud to be a Portlander today.
The Occupiers do not represent any sort of "99%," but only represent those who:

1.) Wear orange pants and have dreadlocks.
2.) Are not bright enough to get a marketable education.
3.) Have no profitable life skills.
4.) Like to whine.
5.) Voted for B. Hussein Obama and still like him. Lol.
6.) Need public assistance to attain basic needs for survival as if such assistance is a "right."
7.) Only know how to whine and complain.
8.) Moved into Portland from some place at which they could not make it.
9.) Do not belong in a capitalist society, but belong in a coutry for nonachievers.
10.) Belong with their chatty friends.

Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland