Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 04:02 PM

2 posts, read 1,493 times

Advertisements

I moved a year ago with my 3 kids and it is rough! Moving back home next year and already been back to Hawaii several times and going back to visit again in couple weeks. We have also traveled back and forth to San Diego often and we all love it there. Hubby has a great job here and doesn't want to leave just yet. This last year I'm making the most of it though. Also it's super slow here, business wise, driving drives me crazy because they drive real slow and they don't wave to say thanks when you let them in... There isn't much at all to do here especially in the winter unless you want to be out in the cold a lot then you'll enjoy winter activities. I've experienced racism, people here are disconnected but on the surface they act really really nice that you can tell it's phony and even weird. The portland theme is "keeping portland weird" and that's what they do. I've made more money in Hawaii than here. Cost of living in terms of housing is less expensive but everything else is the same. Milk is just a little cheaper. If you love the beach find somewhere with an indoor pool here. Not the same but it's better than no swimming for months and months. Good luck and if u can don't do it. Southern California is the closest thing to home in the whole us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 04:11 PM

2 posts, read 1,493 times
I just wanted to add, if you do come here go on zillow and check the ratings for nearby schools based on where you'll be living before making a decision on housing. My kids all came from Hawaiian Immersion schools so they had major culture shock and had to learn to read and write English for the first time and just after a year they are all reading grade level. So schools are great, dentists are great, doctors, and vets are great up here but their great in Cali too lol. That's the upside, also do not drive in the freezing rain till you get used to it. Also, take vitamin D during the winter because it helps with mood and you won't be getting sunshine. Another upside to living here is that there's river rafting which is a must during summer time and winter time you can go snow tubing. But I still miss home and my family like crazy. Oahu is way faster paced than here and I love that. Reconsider if you can!!

Old 09-16-2014, 05:11 PM

629 posts, read 1,175,389 times
So Portland isn't Hawaii? Thanks for the newsflash.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland